Canadian Politics: Brownnosing

maarsen

24 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I just hope their Pizza is better than it looks on those pics. I am fairly safe out of their delivery range, so I will take your words for it.

It's  not. Mediocre pizza at best.

6 hours ago, maarsen said:

Alberta's seem to have the delusion that having oil in the ground makes them smarter.

I used to live in Alberta and still have family there. The current premier is a far-right nutcase who did not achieve her position via general election. Just like Truss and Sunak in the UK, she was voted in solely by the members of her party after her predecessor resigned. She is very unpopular and there is a pretty decent chance she will lose the upcoming election to the NDP(!). Fingers very much crossed!

So let's not just yet brand all of Alberta as endorsing her radical actions. Of course, if she somehow wins (*shudder*) then by all means go ahead and blame the province.

Edited by Ser Reptitious

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Wow, I hadn’t been paying attention.

With how messy this will be, I'm calling it Pexit.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9709483/separating-assets-finances-peel-region-dissolved/

Two Vancouver-population-sized suburban bedroom communities divorcing, what can go wrong?

Edited by SpaceChampion

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2023 at 1:06 AM, Ser Reptitious said:

I used to live in Alberta and still have family there. The current premier is a far-right nutcase who did not achieve her position via general election. Just like Truss and Sunak in the UK, she was voted in solely by the members of her party after her predecessor resigned. She is very unpopular and there is a pretty decent chance she will lose the upcoming election to the NDP(!). Fingers very much crossed!

So let's not just yet brand all of Alberta as endorsing her radical actions. Of course, if she somehow wins (*shudder*) then by all means go ahead and blame the province.

Well, you could dream, right?

Now that the UCP has a majority tucked away under their belt, anyone want to make a bet about how long it will take them to use the Alberta Sovereignty within a United Canada Act?

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

Now that the UCP has a majority tucked away under their belt, anyone want to make a bet about how long it will take them to use the Alberta Sovereignty within a United Canada Act?

I have a feeling that the UCP will crash and burn before the next election. No matter how stupid and thick the premier is now, there are some in her party who will think she is not conservative enough or stupid enough and will try and oust her.

21 minutes ago, maarsen said:

I have a feeling that the UCP will crash and burn before the next election. No matter how stupid and thick the premier is now, there are some in her party who will think she is not conservative enough or stupid enough and will try and oust her.

You’re talking about Alberta farmers now, I think that comes under the heading of wishful thinking.

4 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Sad day for sure, admittedly makes me relieved I don't live there anymore.

I feel sorry for my friends and family in Edmonton, though, a city where every single constituency has now been exclusively NDP for three straight elections.

Rural Alberta, for obvious reasons, is way over-represented in terms of seats vs. population and that is what saved the day for the UCP.

Edited by Ser Reptitious

1 hour ago, Gorn said:

It seems that Calgary suburbs made the difference.

Does anyone know why Calgary and Edmonton are so different from each other in their politics?

I’ve been to both cities, I’ve worked with people from both cities. Both are centers of the oil industry. But Edmonton is the provincial capital and has more civil servants and university professionals, and that likely swings the vote. Edmonton voted NDP provincially but I think mainly votes Conservative federally (not uncommon for voters to vote different ways federally and provincially in Canada). However, rural Alberta elects Conservatives with 60, 70 or 80 percent of the vote, in Edmonton it’s often with 50 to 55% of the vote. And when they elect non-Conservatives it’s also usually with 50 to 55% of the vote or with just a plurality if more than 2 parties are running.

I don't have much to add other than Alberta sucks. No, I don't mean every single thing about it. The whole Texishness of it is just so creepy. I think it was featured, if briefly, in The Family doc on Netflix about how religion seeped into conservative politics and why we are where we are now. Seriously watched Hail Satan! after as a palate cleanser. No, I am not a member of the Satanic Temple. I more closely align with their beliefs, but I think all the rituals are just as stupid as any other religion (I know most em do it to make that exact point, but some are really into it). 

It's hard to give a shit about a province so far away. I'm in Canada, but I can fly to Iceland in four hours or back to Scotland in five. Takes seven hours to Alberta, if you're lucky enough to get non-stop. Plus, chunks of my little province are on fire right now. Like serious wildfires. All believed to be human caused. A friend's parents were evacuated and lost their house. They were fortunate to have been home, because when the evacuations started in nearby communities, they packed as much as they could in their car. An hour later, evac. 

I feel really bad for those people, and especially the people who weren't home at the time of evac (it was a super fast moving fire on a hot day) and couldn't get their pets out. There were a whole bunch of horses that bolted, but luckily all of them are safe. One woman was turned away at a checkpoint, so she backed up, got out of her car and ran 3kms through the woods to get to her dogs. They are all safe now. Tons of animal charities are out in force working with the Department of Natural Resources trying to get as many pets as they can. They have been pretty successful, so that's promising. There is a Facebook page where people can post their address and pics of pets giving permission to break in and get them, if they can't get a key to them. 

This video is bananas

On 5/30/2023 at 1:26 PM, maarsen said:

Well, no PC/UCP premier has lasted a full term since Stelmach. So, four years of Rachel Notley and the NDP aside, that's 7 years with 5 different premiers. Sure, Danielle Smith can pander to the Take Back Alberta crowd, but that will finally alienate the old-timey PC crowd who expect her to be short lived either way. There's quite the level of delusion among the Calgary oil industry establishment types who expect Smith's tendencies toward lunatic policies and ideas to be short lived. So the UCP will come apart - it's just a question of to what degree and when. But even if they won a majority of the vote, that's almost entirely based on the rural base - the NDP could've won a majority of seats with about 1300 more voters across a couple Calgary area ridings. And the UCP majority is based on 49 out of 87 seats. Then down to 48 because there needs to be a speaker elected. It will only take 5 disgruntled MLAs or independents or defections or "events" generally to whittle this government down and it WILL be very unstable. 

For now, Rachel Notley is sticking around, but the NDP won more votes and a higher popular vote than, well, ever before, including in 2015. Flip 6 or 7 seats and they win a majority. Gain another 5% of the vote and it will be a blowout. Alberta is now super divided in a way that is fairly unprecedented. But I don't think the UCP is going to be "united" much longer...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/investigates/fundamentalist-christian-movement-1.6793677

Inside the fundamentalist Christian movement that wants to remake Canadian politics

Internal document reveals ambitions of anti-LGBTQ group that is part of populist movement

Wilson preaches what one scholar has called "extremely muscular Christianity," which champions traditional models of masculinity and calls on believers to build their own parallel society to avoid the evils of modern secular culture.

"[In] his most recent writing, Wilson has no qualms about describing his goal as 'theocracy,'" writes Crawford Gribben, a professor at Queen's University Belfast, in his 2021 book Survival and resistance in evangelical America: Christian Reconstruction in the Pacific Northwest.

Wilson's ideal society, according to Gribben, would be run along biblical lines: same-sex marriage and abortion would be illegal; men would be in charge and women would be at home with the children.

Wilson is also known for having romanticized slavery in his earlier writings and denigrates the LGBTQ community. Last year, he called trans people "mentally ill."

Edited by SpaceChampion