Tennis thread 10: Federer's emotional goodbye

Calibandar

10 minutes ago, 3CityApache said:

So it's the most obvious Sabalenka - Zheng final after all. I don't think Zheng has a chance to score more than few games, but that would be a pleasant surprise.

Idk. She's playing well. I wouldn't put money on her, but if she isn't nervous in the match she has a chance. And Sabalenka can get into her own head as well. 

I'm really curious to see what happens with Joker and Sinner. I don't Sinner can win, but it feels like he could really be one of the next stars of the sport once Joker is conquered or retires. 

Yeah, Djokovic-Sinner should be a memorable match. I do think (or perhaps hope) Sinner has a chance to win, he already managed that on a shorter distance (and longer distance in theory should even benefit him, as he's much younger and fitter, but of course we all know it doesn't in the slightest), but it will be his maiden grand slam semi-final, so he will probably just learn his lesson.

Second semi-final will also be interesting. If Zverev can maintain the level he played against Alcaraz, it would make him a natural favourite, but Medvedev is a player who simply refuses to give up no matter what, so it can go either way.

On 1/16/2024 at 11:54 AM, IheartIheartTesla said:

I think Djokovic's wrist injury is a bit more serious than he is letting on, and I suspect he may lose earlier than expected this Open (just based on his relatively heavy going in the 1st round).

Was it his wrist, though? Per the man himself : 

The 36-year-old said he was “not playing up to par” throughout the tournament, and that he doesn’t know whether he will be able to return to his previous level. “This tournament hasn’t been, as I said, up to my standard or criteria or the level that I would normally play or expect myself to play, but doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s beginning of the end, as some people like to call it.”"

Which is a whole lot of nothing in terms of why exactly he wasnt up to par.

And he made it, he won the match he should have lost.

First time I've seen a drop shot winner return on quite a powerful serve. ;)

Both semi-finals delivered. Lots of quality, lots of emotions. Surprisingly, least of it came from Djokovic.

Edited by 3CityApache

7 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

Hell yeah! The kid did it! And I was almost sure after he lost this third set, not being able to utilize a matchpoint, that he'd lose in five.

Same, but at the same time Sinner was far more fit and wasn't making a ton of mistakes. He's the new dude I'm rooting for since Nadal's career is basically over so I'm happy to see him have this huge win and in pretty dominate fashion. 

It’s not the greatest final, both semi-finals were better, but entertaining nonetheless. A lot indicates Medvedev will get the same treatment here he presented Zverev in the previous round. But he will not give up no matter what, that’s for sure. 

On 1/26/2024 at 12:11 PM, IheartIheartTesla said:

Was it his wrist, though? Per the man himself : 

Which is a whole lot of nothing in terms of why exactly he wasnt up to par.

A bit early to start thinking Djokovic is going downhill based on 1 Grand Slam and after the year he had last year.

I think the reality is that he will continue to be excellent but that Sinner and Alcaraz , and occasionally also Medvedev will be able to compete with him all the way in most or all tournaments.

12 hours ago, Calibandar said:

I think the reality is that he will continue to be excellent but that Sinner and Alcaraz , and occasionally also Medvedev will be able to compete with him all the way in most or all tournaments.

This would probably be the best for the sport, in general. Having a few young players motivated to beat the best player ever (or one of) could increase their level which would give us a nice transition to another Big/Bigger/Not-so-Big 3 or whatever.

Btw, the best indicator of Djokovic' quality is that his defeat in GS semifinals is such a shock.

3 hours ago, baxus said:

This would probably be the best for the sport, in general. Having a few young players motivated to beat the best player ever (or one of) could increase their level which would give us a nice transition to another Big/Bigger/Not-so-Big 3 or whatever.

We're most likely not going to have another Big Three plus Serena. But the game is in a good place. There is so much young talent and the best of them are starting to break through. Better yet, we can see some clear rivalries beginning. The next generation just needs to consistently face each other in finals at slams. The women's side is in a great place considering they have four players who look like they are going to be battling for a long time and I'm sure a few more will come online soon. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

We're most likely not going to have another Big Three plus Serena.

Stop trying to make Big 3 plus Serena happen. It's not going to happen.

1 minute ago, baxus said:

Stop trying to make Big 3 plus Serena happen. It's not going to happen.

Why? They are the four greatest tennis players and they all played at the same time. Check your sexism bro. 

24 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

They are the four greatest tennis players and they all played at the same time.

No they're not. Andy Murray would wipe the floor with Serena Williams 10 out of 10 times. As would Wawrinka, as would pretty much any male top 10 player since Serena's appeared on the scene.

That is not taking anything from her, she's a great player in the female category, the best ever. No one is denying that. She's just not at the level of her male counterparts.

24 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Check your sexism bro.

It's not sexism, it's biology.

Oh, I almost forgot... you can fuck right off with that holier than thou science-ignoring bullshit. 

Eeek yeah that would be sexism. Serena is definitely one of the greatest if not the greatest player of all time. Doesn’t matter that she wouldn’t crack the top fifty of men. It’s like saying that Floyd Mayweather is not one of the greatest boxers ever because if you put him up against heavyweights he wouldn’t win a match. In the category she’s in she is clearly the best all time.