Glasgow 2024 (Worldcon)

7 hours ago, DaveAx said:

Are you aware that the convention has its own bespoke gin? I tasted it at one of their bid parties and thought it was excellent. It would seem appropriate to use it for cocktails while at the convention. The link will take you to their merch page, which not only provides details on the gin but also offers their recipe for the Glasgow Gimlet, which is more to my liking than a martini.

https://glasgow2024.org/for-members/merchandise/

7 hours ago, Ran said:

What's the con party situation like? In the convention hall, as has ecome the norm these days, or are there actually going to be room parties? I miss room parties. 

Dave, I will look into that gin, but gin has a pretty wide range of flavors, may or may not work with my recipe.  Some gins more piney than floral, and then there's the Aviation sort that gets raves but tastes to me like licorice and gasoline.  

If there's an official or even semi official BWB party, then I'll probably dish out martinis pre game.  Can't speak for Tav, but we're staying in the same hotel and we could probably turn one room into a party room, though I don't think we'd be on a party floor officially so would have to walk a line or two.

17 hours ago, mcbigski said:

Some gins more piney than floral, and then there's the Aviation sort that gets raves but tastes to me like licorice and gasoline. 

According to the con's website, "The botanicals used in the creation of GIn2024 are inspired by Science Fiction and Fantasy and they include Star Anise, Buddha’s Hand, Star Fruit, Grains of Paradise, Lime Peel, Cassia, Juniper, Coriander and Angelica."

The Aviation is one of my favorite cocktails, so it's possible that our tastes in gin may not match up at all.

As for the party situation, here is what the con's Progress Report 3 states:
We will be hosting open parties in SEC Hall 4 in an area alongside the convention/fan tables (similar to what was done at Loncon 3). The convention centre will remain open till 2am each night to accommodate the parties. Their licence to sell alcohol allows the sale (from their own bars) up to 1 am and the consumption of the drinks up to 1:30 am. If you are intending to host a party please email [email protected] and we will give more details. We also will have provision at one or two of the onsite hotels for private parties.

The last sentence is critical -- to me, it strongly implies that room parties must be private events, not open-door affairs.

4 hours ago, DaveAx said:

According to the con's website, "The botanicals used in the creation of GIn2024 are inspired by Science Fiction and Fantasy and they include Star Anise, Buddha’s Hand, Star Fruit, Grains of Paradise, Lime Peel, Cassia, Juniper, Coriander and Angelica."

The Aviation is one of my favorite cocktails, so it's possible that our tastes in gin may not match up at all.

So there's a brand of gin called Aviation (from Portland, OR) and then there's the classic cocktail called the Aviation. I don't know that a liking (or disliking) for one necessarily indicates a liking (or disliking) for the other.  I like them both -- Aviation is my go-to Martini order when in Portland, OR, since it's from there, and I have ordered an Aviation made with Aviation before because it seemed like the thing to do

Aviation gin uses anise seed as one of its botanicals, which is probably where McBigski gets the liqorice (I have no idea how to spell that word) flavor from.  Gin2024 may get a similar thing from the star anise, though I usually find star anise to be way less licorice (?) like. It seems like it will be a floral gin, which could work in a Martini, though it will definitely depend on the preferences of the drinker. Sounds like it would be great in a Gimlet.

So there's an Aviation cocktail made with Aviation Gin, eh? That's something that I'll hope to taste at the Seattle Worldcon in a few years, since that's probably the closest I'll get to Portland in the foreseeable future.

The Glasgow Gimlet was the drink served at their bid parties. It was delicious.
Here's the recipe:
1.5 oz (60 mL) Gin2024 gin
1/2 oz (20 mL) Drambuie
3/4 oz (30 mL) freshly squeezed lime juice
1/4 oz (10 mL) simple syrup
Garnish: star fruit slice
Combine ingredients in cocktail shaker. Add plenty of ice and shake well.
Strain into a coupe or martini glass. Garnish

As for the spelling, the US version is "licorice" and the UK/Commonwealth is "liquorice".

3 hours ago, mcbigski said:

Well since we re all talking about gin and worldcon, what are the top stories/novellas/novels that have any cocktail as a plot point?

I have thrown this question out to my cocktail discussion group over on Facebook, and will report back on responses.
For those who might like to join up: Virtual Happy Hour in a Time of Plague

The con has just announced that it's possible to pre-order their gin, for pickup on site.  The distillery will have a table in the Dealers' Hall, and pre-ordered bottles can be picked up on Friday and Saturday.

Pixel Spirits Distillery -- Gin 2024
VOL 70cl for £37
VOL 20cl for £15
(Prices include VAT)

I have a hotelroom in short walking distance to the convention center, as of yet booked as a single room, but I'm pretty sure that it could be changed.

I now pay £140 for the single occupancy.

IIRC, it's plus £20 if it's occupied by two persons.

I stay from August 7 to 14.

If anyone (that I know personally) is looking for a room to share I'm willing to do so.

You may have to share a bed with me though, because it's very probably only one bed. :leaving: