Glasgow 2024 (Worldcon)

On 8/5/2023 at 9:25 PM, DaveAx said:

A few Glasgow eateries I liked, from the last Glasgow Worldcon:

Gamba -- One of the best seafood restaurants anywhere, with a superb wine list..
https://www.gamba.co.uk/

Mr. Singh's India was where we held a BWB dinner. 
https://www.mistersinghsindia.com/

Over 800 different single malts available here, plus other alcohol, cask ales, and great meat pies.
https://thepotstill.co.uk/

Been several years since my last visit to the Pot Still, good pub.

14 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Been several years since my last visit to the Pot Still, good pub.

It's not a very big place, though, so not well-suited for large group expeditions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have a feel for what sort of discount the conventions manages to agree with the convention hotels?  I am looking on Expedia just now at the seven hotels listed on the WorldCon website, and prices being quoted for them are off-putting for a similar period as the convention.

Can anyone recall details of the differential for previous WorldCons?

On 9/24/2023 at 2:13 PM, Arataniello said:

Does anyone have a feel for what sort of discount the conventions manages to agree with the convention hotels?  I am looking on Expedia just now at the seven hotels listed on the WorldCon website, and prices being quoted for them are off-putting for a similar period as the convention.

Can anyone recall details of the differential for previous WorldCons?

Not sure exactly,  but we got an air bnb in Dublin for 6 of us or so and it was grand, so also look at options near the convention center.

Edited by mcbigski

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

For those who were there in 2005, be aware Glasgow has seen better days. Covid has quickened thr high street decline already in motion.

Decided to Google and saw the state Sauciehall was in. Linda and I spent so much time wandering around there. What a shame.

On 10/14/2023 at 9:29 PM, Ran said:

Decided to Google and saw the state Sauciehall was in. Linda and I spent so much time wandering around there. What a shame.

Yeah. A nightclub went on fire, as did the Glasgow School of Art (twice!), leading to many months of closures which saw a lot of business shut.

Union Street is even worse, a complete cesspit. Anyone visiting Glasgow by train, arriving at Central Station and walking atraight out onto Union St will be tempted to do a 180 and get a train somewhere else.

Buchanan St is still quite nice.

I have booked a house sleeps 8,  (All beds can be set as singles or Doubles)  4 rooms.  from the 7th - 13th  so one day each side.

Its about a 30 min googlemaps walk but there are also a few busses.  with 8 people sharing it will come to £328.02 per person (about £54 per night)

I have free councilation until July, so before I accept anyone to share, I will wait to see what the con hotel room rates are.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2023 at 5:57 AM, Pebble thats Stubby said:

I have booked a house sleeps 8,  (All beds can be set as singles or Doubles)  4 rooms.  from the 7th - 13th  so one day each side.

Its about a 30 min googlemaps walk but there are also a few busses.  with 8 people sharing it will come to £328.02 per person (about £54 per night)

I have free councilation until July, so before I accept anyone to share, I will wait to see what the con hotel room rates are.

I might be interested, will know more in a month or so.  Almost certainly going, just haven't figured out dates and flight and yet, but want to make decisions soon.

On 10/27/2023 at 5:57 AM, Pebble thats Stubby said:

I believe that hotel booking will open by some time in January, so you won't need to wait till July to decide.

I see Egypt has pulled out of bidding for 2026.  They had trouble getting permission from the government there apparently.  Given recent world events, probably not a massive surprise.  So LA presumably has 2026 in the bag.

And Tel Aviv is the only bidder for 2027, which also has its complexities.

• 4 weeks later...

Initial info on accomodations, but without room rates, has been posted on the Glasgow web site.

https://glasgow2024.org/location/accommodation/

They expect booking to open in early 2024.

Accessibility rooms will be available for booking in December. If you need info on them, send email to:
[email protected]