Glasgow 2024 (Worldcon)

On 11/12/2023 at 8:13 AM, Padraig said:

And Tel Aviv is the only bidder for 2027, which also has its complexities.

FYI, the following is currently posted on the Tel Aviv bid website:
We want to update you on the current situation with our bid committee. Firstly, we’re relieved to share that all the members of our committee are safe, even though some of us have been called to service during these challenging times.

We’re all deeply devastated by the recent attacks, but we remain steadfast in our belief that things will stabilize, and ultimately, peace will prevail. Our commitment to our shared goals remains unshaken, and we’ll continue to work diligently to bring our vision to life.

Thank you for your unwavering support, and together, we’ll navigate through these trying times and look forward to a brighter future

• 3 weeks later...
Of importance if you're planning to get a Glasgow hotel room when booking opens up (probably mid-January): "Because of the sensitivity of our rates and because we want to ensure our hotel rooms go to convention members, you will need to be a WSFS Member of the convention (WSFS Only will do) to access the hotel booking page when it is launched."

So get that membership now, if you haven't already done so!

I think this is the list of people currently planning on going per this thread and some from facebook (If I can remember your board names)

Thought it would be a good idea to collect names as people start planning hotels

Planning to go - Has Membership
Luzifer's right hand             Raddison Red
The Stubbies                       Ibiss
DaveAx                                Hilton Garden
Arataniello                           Moxy
williamjm                             Raddison Red
Pebble              7th-13th    Premmire Inn
Deedles
Theda Baratheon
Lil Red Head
Filippa Eilhart
Werthead
DalThor + Mash + the Boys  Pemier Inn
Adz                                         Hilton Garden
Morment
Corvinus85
Derfel Cadarn                      Hotel not needed
lessthanluke

TitanCat         7th-13th       Premire Inn

mcbigski + Tav

Beniowa

Maybe
Ran + Linda
Cuellar

Looking for Roomshares

Pebble      7th-13th Premire Inn No Breakfast £844 total £422 per person

Edited by Pebble thats Stubby

For the UK folks I have a question. If I were to stop in London on my way to Glasgow and decide to journey the rest of the way by train, is that advisable and what train services would you recommend? 

On Google I don't really see much of a price difference for the whole trip, so on the negative side I would add several more hours to an already long journey, while on the positive the route is maybe scenic enough to make it worth it.

21 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

For the UK folks I have a question. If I were to stop in London on my way to Glasgow and decide to journey the rest of the way by train, is that advisable and what train services would you recommend? 

On Google I don't really see much of a price difference for the whole trip, so on the negative side I would add several more hours to an already long journey, while on the positive the route is maybe scenic enough to make it worth it.

The most direct route would be the West Coast main line from London Euston to Glasgow. It's also possible to take the East Coast main line from London Kings Cross to Edinburgh and then across to Glasgow. In both cases the scenery is unexceptional for the first 2 or 3 hours but goes through a lot of scenic countryside once you get to the North of England and then southern Scotland. I usually take the East Coast line to go up to Scotland because it's closer to where I live. Train services in the UK are not noted for their reliability, and the train drivers are holding strikes at the moment. I get the impression that the West Coast line has a worse reputation for delays.

Flying would definitely be the fastest and cheapest option (although perhaps the price is closer if you have luggage), but you are obviously not seeing as much of the country. Glasgow Airport is pretty close to the convention centre (unlike Glasgow Prestwick which is a long way from Glasgow).

For completeness, there is also a sleeper train service from London to Glasgow, but that is more expensive.

On 1/17/2024 at 9:12 PM, williamjm said:

Flying would definitely be the fastest and cheapest option (although perhaps the price is closer if you have luggage), but you are obviously not seeing as much of the country. Glasgow Airport is pretty close to the convention centre (unlike Glasgow Prestwick which is a long way from Glasgow).

Just be aware that London 'suffers' from multiple airport syndrome, please check CHECK that any connecting onward flight to Glasgow is leaving from the same airport as your arriving international flight.  Connection time between any two of Gatwick, Heathrow and Stansted is recommended two to three hours.

Echoing William's comments, the train journey can be fraught with cancellations, delays, strikes, but is a more relaxing (IMHO) way to get from London to Scottish cities.  The time is a major factor - fastest service London to Glasgow is maybe 4hrs 30 minutes.

Con Hotel Bookings avaialable via the link in your e-mail they should have sent you.

Premier Inn is not available via the Con bookings, only directly and (when I booked) and was onle of the cheepest.

I have decieded to cancel my Airbnb and stick with my Premire Inn booking.  (its so much closer)

I am looking for a room mate    Preferably someone who can tollerate my snoring although I can't tolleratre other people snoring.   staying 7th - 13th.  £844 per person £422 each.

I have also edited the list above to show those looking for room mate and the dates

Edited by Pebble thats Stubby

After a scramble (never received the email when bookings opened, lots of folk seem to be having the same issue), I think I have got a room booked at the Moxy hotel, which wouldn't have been my first choice but it's super close to the SEC and cheap enough.

9 minutes ago, Arataniello said:

After a scramble (never received the email when bookings opened, lots of folk seem to be having the same issue), I think I have got a room booked at the Moxy hotel, which wouldn't have been my first choice but it's super close to the SEC and cheap enough.

lol  I revived 3 e-mails all at the same time.  I only have 1 memebrship (I hope)

I currently still have this Airbnb.  https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/53488554?source_impression_id=p3_1705948511_CUs2KUFfbCuHV8%2Bm

I have decided not to stay there and will be cancelling unless anyone here wants it.

It has 4 bedrooms.  2 with twins and 2 with Kings (that concert into twins)  7th - 13th Aug total price  £2,624.20  

with 8 sharing it comes to about £55 per night.

Its a fair distance from the con, but is walkable and there are publictransport options.

(free cancelation until July - although I will cancel before then unless people here ask for it)