Doctor Who: 60 Years of Mayhem (SPOILERS for latest episode)

Werthead

Given RTD's explanation - which is headcanon for now but I assume he'll try to confirm as canon at some stage- that all past doctors somehow bigenerated, albeit without knowing, when Tate did into Gatwa, I think we're going to end up with Tom Baker's Curator just  being the bigeneration of four. That doesn't quite fit the dialogue in his scene, of course, but then it doesn't really fit being 14's regeneration either. 

(I don't think we can take the Big Finish appearances as indication of anything, given their 'canon-until-they're-not' status. Admittedly, that's true of the main show too, but there's usually a little more effort from writers of it when they change things). 

I *think* the retroactive bigeneratiins cause timeljne splits ie when 11 becomes 12, he is still 11 in a new timeljne rather than all in the majn timeline. Otherwise they would be stuck eithout a Tardis, and surely someone would notice. Also if the copies can regenerate then we’ve endless doctors

The three David Problem.

So there are now at least three David Tennant versions floating around the Whoniverse (10th Doctor, this HUman happily ever after version in the other universe with Rose Tyler, and now this bi-generation). I know he is the most popular Doctor of the revived series but boy.

Do we have an equal amount of Masters? Make it make sense.

39 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

The three David Problem.

So there are now at least three David Tennant versions floating around the Whoniverse (10th Doctor, this HUman happily ever after version in the other universe with Rose Tyler, and now this bi-generation). I know he is the most popular Doctor of the revived series but boy.

I saw this meme earlier:

https://ifunny.co/picture/in-the-beginning-there-was-only-one-david-tennant-doctor-Wl8ER663B

Yeah, that was solid pretty good introduction to the new Doctor and the new era.

Spoiler

I did wonder if they were just going to kill Davina McCall on Christmas Day, but obviously they decided not to do that.

It makes you wonder what Ruby's parentage is going to be - because what we really need is another cool companion with a mysterious background - but hopefully not too much of a big thing. Also, RTD is really leaning into the Timeless Child stuff isn't he?

12 hours ago, williamjm said:

It was a fun episode and a good introduction to the new Doctor and companion. The goblin song was very catchy, although they were largely off screen for the final section of the episode.

I am curious about one element of the episode: 

Spoiler

Did the Doctor technically *kill* the goblins and everyone on the ship?

I enjoyed it, yeah. I will say I think it's a better introduction to Ruby, the Doctor, and the new state if things ('new kind of science' ie magic building to RTD's claim that some episodes in the series are going to be pretty purely fantasy). The actual events of the episode aren't very memorable.

But tbh that's pretty typical of RTD, and has worked for him well so far.

10 hours ago, IlyaP said:

I am curious about one element of the episode: 

Reveal hidden contents

Did the Doctor technically *kill* the goblins and everyone on the ship?

Possibly.

Spoiler

The goblins may have also just been defeated and went back to their home realm. It does look like their ship dematerialised rather than exploded. The Goblin King was totally Hot Fuzzed to death though.

Here's the totally excellent tune Ncuti was dancing to in the club. I don't know about anyone else, but I absolutely loved seeing the Doctor having so much fun. He totally looked like he was on one, rushing off his tits. And, omg, he is so fucking beautiful and charismatic. I love him already.

Edited by Spockydog

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting data.

I would say slightly questionable for the classic show, given how many of those early stories only partially or even completely don't exist any more (The Space Pirates only has one surviving episode).

• 2 weeks later...

Huh.

Spoiler

According to set spies, Millie Gibson only lasts an episode or two into Series 15 (Ncuti's second season). She then departs, but returns later in the season on a recurring basis. She will be replaced as full-time companion by Varada Seethu, a 32-year-old actress best-known for her role in Andor.

That's actually the same structure RTD used first time around, so makes sense.

20 hours ago, Werthead said:

Huh.

Reveal hidden contents

According to set spies, Millie Gibson only lasts an episode or two into Series 15 (Ncuti's second season). She then departs, but returns later in the season on a recurring basis. She will be replaced as full-time companion by Varada Seethu, a 32-year-old actress best-known for her role in Andor.

That's actually the same structure RTD used first time around, so makes sense.

Why such a short stint as a companion? 

3 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Why such a short stint as a companion? 

RTD seems to have a thing about replacing either the Doctor or companion every season and not letting things get stale. In his first stint we had Nine-Rose, Ten-Rose, Ten-Martha, Ten-Donna and Ten-Rando-of-the-Week.