NBA Playoffs - Joker's Wild

Relic

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

The Glass Cannon Construction that is the Phoenix Suns' lineup has suffered its first crack, as Bradley Beal will be unable to go on opening night.

Back spasms.

Hopefully Booker's toe will be OK.

I still don't get their roster construction. 

6 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

But on the plus side, they can save money by firing their scouting department, since they basically don't have any picks until 2030 anyway.

Seems like that's how the last owner would think.

I just looked up the Suns' depth chart and they really don't have a PG. I thought the would pick one up and have Beal at the 2, Booker at the 3, KD at the 4 and Nurkic at the 5. All they needed was a middling vet and that could work, but they're both undersized and don't have a real primary ball handler. This could go south fast with all the injury concerns. 

Denver should comfortably win the West if they stay healthy unless some young player makes a jump or a star gets traded to one of the other potential contenders. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Seems like that's how the last owner would think.

I just looked up the Suns' depth chart and they really don't have a PG. I thought the would pick one up and have Beal at the 2, Booker at the 3, KD at the 4 and Nurkic at the 5. All they needed was a middling vet and that could work, but they're both undersized and don't have a real primary ball handler. This could go south fast with all the injury concerns. 

Denver should comfortably win the West if they stay healthy unless some young player makes a jump or a star gets traded to one of the other potential contenders. 

Do they still have Cam Payne?  He did well in the playoffs in the primary ball handler role a couple years ago when CP3 was inevitably hurt at the most inconvenient time.

25 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Do they still have Cam Payne?  He did well in the playoffs in the primary ball handler role a couple years ago when CP3 was inevitably hurt at the most inconvenient time.

He's a Buck now. I think Booker will be the PG tonight and Grayson Allen will play SG. Or maybe they'll kick the tires on Eric Gordon. Looking at their depth chart this team is so thin after you get past their top guys and they all have recent injury histories. They would have been better off trading for some role players than Beal so they could have a functional 10 man roster for the regular season and a tighter 8 man rotation for the playoffs. 

Edited by Tywin et al.

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Jokic doing Jokic things.  Imagine if he could move, or jump.  He really is a freak of nature.

We were saying the same last night.  Stand him next to AD and you’d never believe that he was an elite basketball player… and then watch him do whatever he wants out there.  It really is something to see.

He's also incredibly strong despite not looking jacked. There are very few players that can stop him from moving to his ideal spots and part of his elite passing is aided by him being able to fire rockets while backing someone down that most players could never do. 

Had a ESPN headline pop up on my notifications screen about Dwight Howard denying sexual assault.  I only half paid attention to it, then went back and did a double take:  "Dwight Howard denies sexual assault allegations made against him by man in Georgia."  :stunned:

Caught me off guard.

The strange thing about the Suns is that Holiday was obviously available this offseason, and the idea of Holiday playing third banana in Phoenix actually sounds like a pretty great fit.  Instead they have Beal, a guy who can be a great player in certain circumstances, but who's skills feel very redundant and who's weaknesses are exacerbated in Arizona. 

I think it's funny that Durant has an incredibly well rounded skillset, and yet he has now been part of two of the most lopsided Big Threes of all time (Durant+Harden+Kyrie and Durant+Booker+Beal), and a third that was only marginally better (Durant+Westbrook+Harden).  It was only when he joined an already existing superteam that obviously fit well together that he has won a title. 

15 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

The strange thing about the Suns is that Holiday was obviously available this offseason,

Was he tho? Or did he only become available when whatever was happening between the Heat the the Blazers fell apart? Like, who would have the Bucks wanted from the Suns?

5 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I hope Zion can stay fit, he doesn't look in great shape but not awful either, i have no idea how someone that big can move like that.  

He'll be able to move like that for a good bit. It's the whole jumping and more importantly landing part that will become an issue. He really needs to shed weight and get down to like 250ish. In the past I've used Ant as a comparison. He's 1 or 2 inches shorter, but plays around 235. Zion's weight is something like 280-300. Their games on offense are pretty similar when it comes to attacking the rim, but Ant shoots better and is a way better defender. Zion should be a better version of him, but he can't be carrying that much mass. 

Edited by Tywin et al.