Diablo 4 - Hellish Grind

Relic

15 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Well aren't you fancy. :P

I get the impression cancelling the minions is what you need to do late game, sans the golem, but they're really helpful for me weakling. The nice part is unlike the druid you don't have to invest much in them besides the passives that massive increase their damage. 

Depending on your build you should be using either skeletons (reapers, for generating corpses for explosions and resource gen), golem (for tank builds) or nothing at all. Minions are real crappy for the most part, especially the mages. 

1 hour ago, Relic said:

Whelp, ive reached my limit i think. Officially burnt myself out on D4. Played the shit out of it in the past couple of weeks because i randomly contracted chickenpox and couldnt leave my house for ages. I might be back for S1, but there's not much in it that makes me eager to level all over again. We'll see if the itch returns after some time away, or if Baldur's Gate 3 will be my next time sink. 

This is pretty common. My advice is to check in every few seasons and pick one or two toons to play hard then take a break. D2 was worse than D3, but D4 seems feels more like the former, especially if they make the late game even more interesting. And of course there will be an expansion at some point that will add more characters. 

It's like Pokémon. As kids my friends and I couldn't put it down. When we were older we just called the games hand crack. 

42 minutes ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

Depending on your build you should be using either skeletons (reapers, for generating corpses for explosions and resource gen), golem (for tank builds) or nothing at all. Minions are real crappy for the most part, especially the mages. 

They seem to be helping a lot right now. Like I said the toon isn't very high level and I've got nothing gear wise. I'm just using this time to test out the toons I haven't played jet (so now just the rouge and the sorc).

I wish they wouldn't make the sorcs so complicated. The wizard in D3 was always the hardest to play unless you were totally locked in. With the necro you can just walk around and fuck shit up even if you're not triggering all your combos. It's why I always liked barbs assuming you didn't have great gear. Spin to win. 

I see someone figured out the secret Barb Bleed build I've been working on in the background -of course they did, Christ, if I could game 12 hours a day- anyway, Berserk Ripping, Skullbreaker, work as many Stuns in as possible, from Abilities like Groundstomp, Technique [Mace] further Aspects like Anemia, etc

You'll never see numbers like this as Bleed Barb actually playing the game [I know, I've been doing it, just not broadcasting such] and this is why Rob and streamers like him seriously fucking annoy me, doing effectively a parse test on a bugged Elite with no real ingame ability to reproduce elsewhere.

'It's broken, we want things to be fair on S1 start' [paraphrased] show me you doing this on Uber Lilith or a ND 100 or stfu, nerd. Honestly.

Edited by JGP

1 hour ago, JGP said:

I see someone figured out the secret Barb Bleed build I've been working on in the background -of course they did, Christ, if I could game 12 hours a day- anyway, Berserk Ripping, Skullbreaker, work as many Stuns in as possible, from Abilities like Groundstomp, Technique [Mace] further Aspects like Anemia, etc

You'll never see numbers like this as Bleed Barb actually playing the game [I know, I've been doing it, just not broadcasting such] and this is why Rob and streamers like him seriously fucking annoy me, doing effectively a parse test on a bugged Elite with no real ingame ability to reproduce elsewhere.

'It's broken, we want things to be fair on S1 start' [paraphrased] show me you doing this on Uber Lilith or a ND 100 or stfu, nerd. Honestly.

Heh, the guy from the video, Rob, is almostly solely responsible for half of the nerfs barb has had. During the initial betas, his Upheaval build got that nerfed, and then his WW build got that nerfed too.

Then he was first to 100 once the game went live, and they nerfed barbs even more.

(Rather than waiting to see how powerful all of the classes - bar sorc - could be, ffs.)

I was going pretty heavily on my necro, and enjoying it, but I added up the numbers and I'm not going to make 100 before the patch/season, so I may as well take a few days off and start fresh when it starts. Not sure what I'll go with yet, but I might make another necro if they're not nerfed too badly.

13 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

I was going pretty heavily on my necro, and enjoying it, but I added up the numbers and I'm not going to make 100 before the patch/season, so I may as well take a few days off and start fresh when it starts. Not sure what I'll go with yet, but I might make another necro if they're not nerfed too badly.

Patch notes for S1 drop on the 18th. Really hoping they don't fuck Bleed Barb cause that's definitely where I'm heading. 

---

re: streamer Rob, I'm tempted to pay Blizz to just fucking hire him so he can't do this bullshit anymore, after the fact anyway. Use the cunt to to do QA before something goes live. The credence some of these companies give streamers, iono. The franchise GM might need to pull his head out of his ass as well, at least far enough he can hit a decent O2 level. Putting the jerk in kneejerk lately, that's for sure.

Edited by JGP

The thing that still makes me the angriest about barb is the state of the uniques. The only half decent one is Rage Of Harrogath, and the rest of them are vendor trash, through a combination of weak/genuinely dogshit powers and absolutely terrible stats. It feels like the devs are trolling us.

They accidently made one good initially - Gohr's - but don't worry, they nerfed that so hard it's not worth using anymore. Seriously.

I love Fields of Crimson but don't think the blood pool % [x] scales per target hit, least so far as I've been able to determine [which is why I'd love to be able to parse]

Hopefully [knocks on wood] we'll get a wide, equal spread on new universal Leg Aspects, Class specific Aspects, and a bunch of new Uniques.

Nerfhammers... are heavier during seasonal play. I hope they're inhouse QA peeps have been wearing their hands out given how difficult this game is to grind reasonably optimal gear and max level.

edit: but yes, Harrogath is awesome. What a difference when I swapped back to that from Razorplate

Edited by JGP

7 new Aspects and 6 new Uniques [with one of the latter being another Uber Unique] so including the gems... not bad I spose, especially if that pattern more or less continues season to season. 

edit: no idea what the ratio is on Universal vs Class Aspects. yet

Edited by JGP

I didn’t know that (at least the details) but I think I had internalized some of it. Like I never try rolling for skills on gloves, if my gloves don’t have plus 3 to my main skill I don’t bother. It also explains why it’s been so difficult to put vulnerable on to weapons or rings. And I had gotten to the point with those that if I don’t have vulnerable I don’t really bother with it. There is enough of the similar damage buckets that I’m fine rolling looking for one of those (close, core, cc, chilled, etc).

3 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

Really interesting video from Wudijo about how enchanting items works. I wish I'd had this earlier, as I've wasted about 100m gold trying to roll better affixes on stuff when in reality it was never going to happen.

The website he's using to check things - https://www.d4craft.com/

Very handy.

3 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

Really interesting video from Wudijo about how enchanting items works. I wish I'd had this earlier, as I've wasted about 100m gold trying to roll better affixes on stuff when in reality it was never going to happen.

The website he's using to check things - https://www.d4craft.com/

Very handy.

8 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

Probably 1 class specific aspect each, and then 2 universals.

And if 1 of the uniques is an uber, in reality they're adding 5 uniques to the game, not 6.

It'll be interesting to see the gems. I wonder if we'll get a list of everything with the patch notes?

If they stick to Seasonal patch notes in the vein of DIII, one would hope.

Edited by JGP

So apparently glyph xp doesn’t roll over. I was doing lower tier nm dungeons with a friend and was planning on just letting the xp stack up, but it didn’t. Fuck.

I also got a Unique pair of boots that increases critical strike chance by 17% of my movement speed. So I equipped them just to see the jump, and somehow my critical chance % dropped despite my normal boots having no critical % perks. I don’t get it.

56 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

So apparently glyph xp doesn’t roll over.

Glyphs are pretty powerful build enhancements.

58 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

I also got a Unique pair of boots that increases critical strike chance by 17% of my movement speed. So I equipped them just to see the jump, and somehow my critical chance % dropped despite my normal boots having no critical % perks. I don’t get it.

This is what I get for maining a loud ass yell beast-- don't know half the shit open for other Classes. Kind of sounds interesting. Is that + 17% or [x] ?

From what I've been able to glean you can't see the buff on your stat sheet. It's an active effect. Are you testing in Town, open world, what yo [still doesn't explain why your crit chance is dropping]

6 hours ago, JGP said:

This is what I get for maining a loud ass yell beast-- don't know half the shit open for other Classes. Kind of sounds interesting. Is that + 17% or [x] ?

From what I've been able to glean you can't see the buff on your stat sheet. It's an active effect. Are you testing in Town, open world, what yo [still doesn't explain why your crit chance is dropping]

Esu’s Heirloom. Perfect roll is 25% I believe. I just put them on in town. I didn’t actually wear them in combat and wouldn’t know how to test it out anyways. Just thought it was extra weird that my stat would drop if anything. I also can’t move on from my +3 evade boots, and really don’t even consider boots that don’t have that evade boost, for better or worse.

So I’m a level 80 and definitely not gonna come near to a 100 before season 1 drops. Trying to decide between a Rogue or Necro for the new character.

I’m halfway through 95 now so I’ll probably make it. I’m doing tier 57/58 dungeons now which is probably a bit too hard but still doable. I have to be way more careful on affixes. Butcher is also a lot harder and has killed me the last two times but I blame that mostly on dealing with him plus packs. 

On the matter of uniques there are many super strong abilities. However I find that losing affixes really hurts and you can’t use more than 1 unique unless it’s one of the few with good affixes. Like Penitent Greaves is great for damage and resource generation but it really hurts me defensively. Losing a second shadow step which gives me my only unstoppable and evade charges really hurts. It’s why cold enchanted I’ve found to be very dangerous now.

3 hours ago, Arakasi said:

On the matter of uniques there are many super strong abilities. However I find that losing affixes really hurts and you can’t use more than 1 unique unless it’s one of the few with good affixes. Like Penitent Greaves is great for damage and resource generation but it really hurts me defensively. Losing a second shadow step which gives me my only unstoppable and evade charges really hurts. It’s why cold enchanted I’ve found to be very dangerous now.

Really need diminishing returns on Slows/Roots/Freezes/Stuns, ie: some kind of resolve system where you get caught in those enough you're then immune to them for a limited time [say, 3 to 5 seconds] or something like.

---

Thinking about S1 start, how are you all planning on tackling the new level grind? Campaign again, or nah? Myself, I'll be skipping the Campaign, I think.