Baldur's Gate 3: Quicksave is my favourite spell

Luzifer's right hand

For me I care more about telling my own story than listening to someone else’s story when it comes to RPGs.

Thats one reason I spend so long on character creation but almost never finish a game. I really don’t care about the storytelling all that much, it’s rarely going to that good anyway. Most good story telling in games is ‘good for a video game’.

Storytelling in BG3 is fine, nothing exceptional. I like the characters well enough, but I’m more interested in the freedom the game gives me and the way it allows you to make you feel your choices change things. 

Maybe it’s one reason I never got along with Witcher 3, I just didn’t find it interesting playing such a pre defined character and being told his story.

2 hours ago, HokieStone said:

I rescued Halsin...never saw his confrontation with Kahga, she was gone.  Then later found the whole Shadow Druid thing.  So...my head canon is that she heard Halsin was free, and she just bugged out before he got back.  shrug

I also found out I can’t access the Zhentarrim basement from the Under Dark (the elevator is broken) so that quest will essentially remain unfinished sigh…

Finished everything in the Under Dark today  except the Forge as I have a nagging feeling that’s the final boss area for the Under Dark lol so trying to grind out maximum best gear and level before it. Will also cover the mountain pass route after I’m done here as I do want the maximum amount of content as I doubt I’ll be doing another play through of this game, unless it’s a few sessions of co-op with a friend. 

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

For me I care more about telling my own story than listening to someone else’s story when it comes to RPGs.

Thats one reason I spend so long on character creation but almost never finish a game. I really don’t care about the storytelling all that much, it’s rarely going to that good anyway. Most good story telling in games is ‘good for a video game’.

Storytelling in BG3 is fine, nothing exceptional. I like the characters well enough, but I’m more interested in the freedom the game gives me and the way it allows you to make you feel your choices change things. 

Maybe it’s one reason I never got along with Witcher 3, I just didn’t find it interesting playing such a pre defined character and being told his story.

I do agree with what some folks here said - unlike a Skyrim or even a Witcher 3, this is NOT a game I can completely relax in while I’m exploring the map, as I really need to be alert and use a 100% of my brain at all times to avoid getting TKPed, and finding the hidden loot/ secret areas. It does get exhausting to continue playing after say 2-3 hours, whereas Witcher or TES are games I can binge for 8 hours straight without it feeling like a brain workout. 

That being said I’m completely hooked into this kind of game, having only played KOTOR as my closest CRPG game before. So Larian definitely got something right :D 

40 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

I also found out I can’t access the Zhentarrim basement from the Under Dark (the elevator is broken) so that quest will essentially remain unfinished sigh…

Finished everything in the Under Dark today  except the Forge as I have a nagging feeling that’s the final boss area for the Under Dark lol so trying to grind out maximum best gear and level before it. Will also cover the mountain pass route after I’m done here as I do want the maximum amount of content as I doubt I’ll be doing another play through of this game, unless it’s a few sessions of co-op with a friend. 

Mountain pass and monastery is significantly harder than the Forge. The Forge is pretty big with a fair amount to do other than the Big Fight, so you can go ahead and do that. Just make sure that you understand as soon as you go to the Forge area there is a specific timer that starts that you need to resolve in a reasonably short amount of time, and if you don't you'll miss out on a few things. 

Spoiler

Specifically the Nere storyline and rescue will get messed up if you don't do it within two long rests of first arriving at the Forge. 

As to the Zhentarim, the elevator won't work from the underdark side until you go into the cave. I'm real confused why you can't get in there, but you should be able to talk to someone to get a password to get in. 

7 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Mountain pass and monastery is significantly harder than the Forge. The Forge is pretty big with a fair amount to do other than the Big Fight, so you can go ahead and do that. Just make sure that you understand as soon as you go to the Forge area there is a specific timer that starts that you need to resolve in a reasonably short amount of time, and if you don't you'll miss out on a few things. 

Reveal hidden contents

Specifically the Nere storyline and rescue will get messed up if you don't do it within two long rests of first arriving at the Forge. 

As to the Zhentarim, the elevator won't work from the underdark side until you go into the cave. I'm real confused why you can't get in there, but you should be able to talk to someone to get a password to get in. 

Thanks for the heads up, I’ll cover the mountain pass before triggering that timer then. I’m level 5 now so I’m able to take on fights more comfortably now. Yes I tried reaching via the cave first but the wardrobe door that leads into the cave is bugged out and non interactive. I looked up on Reddit and there’s no fix for this bug yet, others have also faced the same. 

2 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Heh, that's exactly the opposite of what i was suggesting, but it ain't my job to stand in the way of your success

But can i do the forge and still do the mountain pass ? My point is I wanna cover both routes for maximum content and XP, even though Halsin (amd the game) is suggesting to me that it’s one or the other…

Sure, you can go do the forge and then mountain pass. Despite the scary warning you can go back and forth, and can even go back to basically anywhere in act 1 - though after some events in act 2 act 1 will change.

Halsin is a liar. 

Now, what you shouldn't do is go into the shadow-cursed lands yet whatever you do until you've done all the forge and then all the monastery - but you can do either in either order. 

Also, when the time comes I'd recommend using the underdark passage to the shadow cursed land over the mountain pass way - its a better way to deal with the first part.

Speaking honestly here, the whole "underdark or mountain pass" non-choice is completely dumb. Either make the decision matter (ie you can only go to one and that has stakes and complications) or just cut the arbitrary non-choice out of the game and make it a more linear progression (mountain pass to underdark to act 2 areas or something). It's not like a more linear progression would be a big change in the game, you can't go to Baldur's Gate right at the start, you have to progress from one story area to the next first.

So I'm not sure what the point of the "choice" is? The game seems to make a big deal about which choice you make but then you can do both so... it doesn't really matter and, in fact, you SHOULD do both as there's some lore and story bits in both areas that are not entirely essential but feel pretty important.

As it is, doing both, with the way it's structured is just... weird and it absolutely fucks the pacing up. Maybe at some point, the choice was more permanent but a change was made because no one wanted to make such a huge area completely missable, but the dumb non-choice was kept in. That's the only way my brain can figure out why this weird section of the game was made the way it was.

11 minutes ago, Durckad said:

Speaking honestly here, the whole "underdark or mountain pass" non-choice is completely dumb. Either make the decision matter (ie you can only go to one and that has stakes and complications) or just cut the arbitrary non-choice out of the game and make it a more linear progression (mountain pass to underdark to act 2 areas or something). It's not like a more linear progression would be a big change in the game, you can't go to Baldur's Gate right at the start, you have to progress from one story area to the next first.

So I'm not sure what the point of the "choice" is? The game seems to make a big deal about which choice you make but then you can do both so... it doesn't really matter and, in fact, you SHOULD do both as there's some lore and story bits in both areas that are not entirely essential but feel pretty important.

As it is, doing both, with the way it's structured is just... weird and it absolutely fucks the pacing up. Maybe at some point, the choice was more permanent but a change was made because no one wanted to make such a huge area completely missable, but the dumb non-choice was kept in. That's the only way my brain can figure out why this weird section of the game was made the way it was.

Ya I think the Witcher 2 handled this better - Act 2 was completely different in that game and permanent based on decisions in Act 1. The downside like you said was missing out huge lore important bits of content in your first playthrough. Although for a game like bg3 where I believe a second playthrough is essential to get all the major story content, they could’ve gone down the permanent choice route for sure.

And if not, then why confuse players with arbitrary choices and bolded warnings about going down one or the other path ? Just let the player discover both the areas on their own like they did the rest of the game….its just needlessly convoluted and leads me to looking up yet again for online help which I’ve been doing ALOT for this game (compared to everything else I’ve played). I really don’t enjoy doing that as it feels like I’m cheating but no choice… That said the actual content in the game continues to be of super high quality which keeps me coming back for more. And the combat is finally enjoyable now that I’m Level 5.

Btw for anyone who’s played it - is DOS2 combat tougher than BG3 or around the same level ? If it’s tougher than I may wanna rethink about playing that game eventually after BG3 is over lol. I really don’t want a frustrating combat experience.

53 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Btw for anyone who’s played it - is DOS2 combat tougher than BG3 or around the same level ? If it’s tougher than I may wanna rethink about playing that game eventually after BG3 is over lol. I really don’t want a frustrating combat experience.

The lack of a jump feature and the pyromaniac obsession built into DOS2 made the game a more frustrating and harder experience for me. 

Fort Joy is also *punishing*, as the game doesn't tell you anything useful in the first part of the game, leaving you to wander around an island full of angry guards, poisonous frogs, and angry dwarves. 

It's not a game that explains things very well to players.

5 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

The lack of a jump feature and the pyromaniac obsession built into DOS2 made the game a more frustrating and harder experience for me. 

Fort Joy is also *punishing*, as the game doesn't tell you anything useful in the first part of the game, leaving you to wander around an island full of angry guards, poisonous frogs, and angry dwarves. 

It's not a game that explains things very well to players.

Arrgh online guides it is ! YouTube and Google are my level 20 spells…

Btw a quick tip for anyone playing paladin and trying to avoid oathbreaker with choices - if you use another character while making the so called evil choice, your main character won’t be considered as having broken their oath. For eg. turning Myrinas husband into an undead with the wand causes an oathbreaker event to take place but when I used Astarion for it, paladin oath wasn’t broken. 

Ah, the classic "have the paladin go into the other room while we commit war crimes" part of the d&d experience.

And yeah, there's like one encounter that changes depending on the path you take, and you should really do both the forge and the monastery (though both are optional, both are really cool) so it's just a weird non choice. 

2 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Info about the next patch - which is an astonishing 21Gb in size, have been released: 

https://www.pcgamer.com/baldurs-gate-3-patch-6-party-management/

Amazingly, we're a year into the game's release and Larian still haven't fixed the wretched inventory management system.

I just hate having to click the sort by latest button each time I open the characters inventory. Why it can stay fixed on that sorting ? Also really need to be able to access every characters inventory at all times without switching them out….thankfully I don’t find the weight limits to be as punishing as some other RPGs. 

Really glad that switching out party members is gonna get a whole lot easier though !

Also is it just me or does this game have rather long loading times ? It reaches 75% and then just stays there for several seconds before loading in. Really discouraging me from save scumming :P and my PC has a really fast SSD and 32 gigs of RAM.Thankfully unlike Bethesda, you don’t really encounter loading screens within the game itself. 

Aand 60 hours into this game and I finally realised you can change the dice skin by clicking on the bottom left corner button when the rolling happens lol 

5 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

I just hate having to click the sort by latest button each time I open the characters inventory. Why it can stay fixed on that sorting ? Also really need to be able to access every characters inventory at all times without switching them out….thankfully I don’t find the weight limits to be as punishing as some other RPGs. 

It's not like they didn't have numerous acquaintances/competitors/friendly rivals in the field from whom they could have taken a few notes...

Really glad that switching out party members is gonna get a whole lot easier though !

And if you have the max party member limit increase, that suddenly stops being a problem altogether! 

Also is it just me or does this game have rather long loading times ? It reaches 75% and then just stays there for several seconds before loading in. Really discouraging me from save scumming :P and my PC has a really fast SSD and 32 gigs of RAM.Thankfully unlike Bethesda, you don’t really encounter loading screens within the game itself. 

Can't say I notice. I run it off an SSD drive and it loads fairly quickly.

Aand 60 hours into this game and I finally realised you can change the dice skin by clicking on the bottom left corner button when the rolling happens lol 

Meanwhile, I'm over here wondering why I can't just turn it off as it slows down the game for me. Just give me the results, get on with it, I don't need a damn dice rolling across my screen. (I turn it all the way down in Solasta as well.)

Just now, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

@IlyaP you can speed up the dice roll by spamming LMB clicks when it starts rolling which I admit even I’ve started doing now, especially when I need to reroll. 

Oh that I know. I often do that as it feels like one more thing that artificially inflates the length of the game.