Baldur's Gate 3: Quicksave is my favourite spell

Luzifer's right hand

I was sceptical about the dice rolls before I played the game.

But somehow to feel like a great addition to the game especially without all the spells and items you can boost stuff with.

They add excitement I feel. Maybe only relevant if you play low reload or honour mode(was not a thing from the start).

I do speed them up most of the time but I would not want to skip them completely.

1 hour ago, Relic said:

uh, you can? check your menus, dude 

I don't know if there have been any recent updates, but last I played in December you couldn't completely turn off the dice, just get to the result by clicking on them again.

I too like having the dice rolls for noncombat. It makes it feel a lot more like a D&D game and gives some weight to things. I don't think it artificially extends the time of the game; it's part of the experience. It isn't like Larian gets paid a monthly service fee or anything like that.

I'm sure there are mods to remove or alter the dice rolling if you want to. 

7 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I'm sure there are mods to remove or alter the dice rolling if you want to. 

Impressively, of all the mods out that have been made, no one's made (or figured out how to make?) a mod to remove the dice. I much preferred it when all the maths was done in the background a la BG 1/2 and though I think it a cute visual feature, I wish it was an optional visual feature.

11 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

Impressively, of all the mods out that have been made, no one's made (or figured out how to make?) a mod to remove the dice. I much preferred it when all the maths was done in the background a la BG 1/2 and though I think it a cute visual feature, I wish it was an optional visual feature.

Like I said it makes me feel like I'm playing D&D, and simulates that 'roll to seduce the dragon' thing that most other games don't have. I do wish it was a bit less overly dramatic some times, and for some rolls I'd just rather it have me do it quickly and let me spam it; I don't really care how many lockpicks it takes me to unlock something, as an example. 

I get where llyap is coming from, because every dialogue options in the game pretty much come with a dice roll option it can get a bit much to go through it every time rather than an instantaneous success or failure result like the older BioWare game. Weirdly enough, I remember the early access version of bg3 to have a much faster dice roll visual. But yeah the best solution is to patch in an on or off button.  

I encountered the Grym and the moment I saw it I was like nope…looking at a YouTube guide to get me through this as it’s immune to everything. Bit disappointed that the boss fight feels more like solving a puzzle than an actual fight.  

I also tend to role play as a non combat, mostly talking my way out of encounters and not stealing so that’s costing me a lot of xp as well, wish the game would reward me more for it…

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

12 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

I get where llyap is coming from, because every dialogue options in the game pretty much come with a dice roll option it can get a bit much to go through it every time rather than an instantaneous success or failure result like the older BioWare game. Weirdly enough, I remember the early access version of bg3 to have a much faster dice roll visual. But yeah the best solution is to patch in an on or off button.  

I absolutely get why people like it. Hell, I've been playing pen and paper D&D for over twenty years, so I get it. I just wish Larian had considered giving players an *option* to reduce, if not outright disable it. It's something Tactical Adventures was able to do quite easily in Solasta: Crown of the Magister (that game's inventory system is also far less frustrating than Larian's, despite having a reported budget of approximately $250,000 (via Kickstarter). 

12 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

I encountered the Grym and the moment I saw it I was like nope…looking at a YouTube guide to get me through this as it’s immune to everything. Bit disappointed that the boss fight feels more like solving a puzzle than an actual fight.

Yeah I noped out of that fight. Overly long, tedious, and while a cute side-quest diversion for some, it didn't speak to me or strike me as remotely necessary. 

36 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

I absolutely get why people like it. Hell, I've been playing pen and paper D&D for over twenty years, so I get it. I just wish Larian had considered giving players an *option* to reduce, if not outright disable it. It's something Tactical Adventures was able to do quite easily in Solasta: Crown of the Magister (that game's inventory system is also far less frustrating than Larian's, despite having a reported budget of approximately $250,000 (via Kickstarter). 

Yeah I noped out of that fight. Overly long, tedious, and while a cute side-quest diversion for some, it didn't speak to me or strike me as remotely necessary. 

Yes bro, but this game seems to only reward combat with proper experience points, and unless I wanna remain stuck at a low level before the shadowlands, I’ll have to fight everything I possibly can (without breaking my role play character)  luckily there’s a quick way to kill him using the forge hammer, will try that out today, I don’t have an Druid in my team to try the Jumping Owlbear method.

11 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Yes bro, but this game seems to only reward combat with proper experience points, and unless I wanna remain stuck at a low level before the shadowlands, I’ll have to fight everything I possibly can (without breaking my role play character)  luckily there’s a quick way to kill him using the forge hammer, will try that out today, I don’t have an Druid in my team to try the Jumping Owlbear method.

You *can* get XP for successful roleplaying, but, you have to have sufficiently high stats, it seems(?) (I could be wrong) to sometimes make the necessary successful dialogue checks. 

But I did find it possible to get to Act 3 and have everyone be level 10 without having to do the grymforge battle, for whatever it's worth.

3 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

You *can* get XP for successful roleplaying, but, you have to have sufficiently high stats, it seems(?) (I could be wrong) to sometimes make the necessary successful dialogue checks. 

But I did find it possible to get to Act 3 and have everyone be level 10 without having to do the grymforge battle, for whatever it's worth.

Yes I know you get XP but it’s much lower than resolving enemies via combat for some reason….i think wert mentioned it earlier that best way to level up in Gateslike games is to kill everything in sight. 

4 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Yes I know you get XP but it’s much lower than resolving enemies via combat for some reason….i think wert mentioned it earlier that best way to level up in Gateslike games is to kill everything in sight. 

"Go full Murder Hobo or go home, kid!" :D 

You'd think a roleplaying game would actually, y'know - let you roleplay your way through things without having to resort to being a total psychopath! 

It's like that Skyrim Joker meme: "Kill a dragon to save a city and nobody bats an eye! Unintentionally kill a chicken and everyone loses their minds!"

Think you are overplaying how much fighting you need to do to progress. 

I had a high charisma main and that meant i skipped a lot of large fights by talking my way past them. I also didn’t bother doing the monastery section, and I still was at a high enough level to do most fights comfortably if I used my brain. 

43 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Think you are overplaying how much fighting you need to do to progress. 

I had a high charisma main and that meant i skipped a lot of large fights by talking my way past them. I also didn’t bother doing the monastery section, and I still was at a high enough level to do most fights comfortably if I used my brain. 

Yeah that’s really my issue I’m not a deep, strategic combat guy. I just like hacking,casting  and slashing my way through fights lol so I rely on getting as high a level as I can to gain a natural advantage (without changing difficulty levels) I’m sure if you use your brain you can definitely win at lower levels but I just don’t want that extra thinking headache. And ironically you can’t overlevel much WITHOUT getting into a ton of combat, so it’s catch 22…

Out of curiosity, those of y’all who have finished the game, have you started a second playthrough of it yet ? How different has the experience been for you ? (Without giving any spoilers please I’m still on Act 1)

17 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Yeah that’s really my issue I’m not a deep, strategic combat guy. I just like hacking,casting  and slashing my way through fights lol so I rely on getting as high a level as I can to gain a natural advantage (without changing difficulty levels) I’m sure if you use your brain you can definitely win at lower levels but I just don’t want that extra thinking headache. And ironically you can’t overlevel much WITHOUT getting into a ton of combat, so it’s catch 22…

I also don’t like having to spend hours analysing a fight, I just don’t have that time in my life. But I also don’t really have to in BG3 that much. It’s not 4D chess, you just need to prepare spells for big fights and use spells and abilities, don’t just charge headlong into a mob of enemies. I don’t think it’s that hard and it feels like you are complaining for the sake of it.

If you just want a game that rewards you for spending hours doing repetitive tasks, and you just want to bash some buttons, there are a ton of mobile games around willing to take your cash.

The only analysis you need to do on the grymforge fight is to examine the enemy (which you can do for free, any time) and see what it has resistance and vulnerability to. There are also several.texts in game that literally tell you how to beat it.

Again, time-honored d&d thing for interesting fights. 

My suspicion is that you'd be happier turning the difficulty down.

Also starting the fight requires letting out the lava which triggers its vulnerability condition thus explaining one of the main mechanics right away.  

Regards to second playthroughs the main thing is I feel everything is much faster. I did pretty minimal combat aside from the tutorial until level 4, mostly just talking my way through things (despite comments to the contrary you do get very solid exp for non-combat encounter resolution) from which point I was able to go pick up things from where I knew they were easily and set my party up well to handle various encounters and see a few interesting outcomes I hadn't on my first game. In general too I saved a lot of time just knowing both what I wanted to do and what I could do, as well as what I did and did not need - example I played balanced for my first game but tactician for my second and even with the doubled supply requirement so I spent way less time scavenging every single container for food and random junk to sell because I had a much better grasp of the resources available to me.

Just started Act III, and it seems I've run into a few glitches:

- Got the quest about the murdered priest, and was doing different parts of it...only to discover it's not in my quest log.  So, not sure I'll get any credit for it.

- Been working on romancing Shadowheart.  By the end of Act II, it certainly seemed like we were a thing. And then talking to her about something else, this dialogue option comes up...something like "Seems like we had a chance for a relationship, but I think that time has passed", and her response was "maybe in another life".  Wait...what?!  What did I say?!?!