Football: Sieg oder Spielabbruch!

A Horse Named Stranger

McTominator probably saved Ten Hag's job. I'm so glad that we did not sell him. He's not top class but he is a very good squad player that any manager would be happy to have.

I'm not going to lose sight of the fact that this was another diabolical performance. Ten Hag has gotten every signing he wanted (except De Jong and only because the player rejected a move) and has still made the team worse. 

Some may point to the injuries in an effort to absolve the manager and my response would be that the fundamental issues we are having this season were blatantly apparent even during preseason (before the injuries). Ten Hag has failed tactically this season. 

Edited by Consigliere

14 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

I'm not going to lose sight of the fact that this was another diabolical performance.

I mean... it wasn't? 

The problem with finishing and generally creating clean chances in the box is, well, a problem, and absolutely down to Ten Hag. And the defensive errors are an absolute shocker. But we were all over them for most of the game. We were all over Palace too. Not quite all over Galatasaray, but the difference in that game was that we made horrendous mistakes in defence and they didn't, not that they outplayed us. 

It's not some freakshow fluke that we scored late either, Brentford were knackered from defending the pressure. That's what used to happen under Fergie and while we're obviously a long, long way from that sort of level yet, we barely ever exerted that kind of pressure under Ole at all. 

Things obviously need to improve and ETH needs to stand up for that, but I'm sorry this idea that the current run is similar to late-stage Solskjaer is make-believe. It's forgetting how hapless we were in that time. If we keep putting as much pressure on teams as we have the last few games we'll win a lot more than we lose.  Especially if the defensive errors ease up. Which they should. 

ETH also made the right changes for once. He's got flack (including from me) for seeming to just be randomly flinging forwards on and hoping it sticks, but the changes today were the right ones. Though he probably shouldn't start Bruno on the right at all next time, since bringing him back central improved us immediately. That experiment isn't worth it.

Ten Hag has only been marginally better than Solskjaer, if that. In fact this season has been almost as bad as late stage Solskjaer - we are only 3 points better off after 8 games this season than we were in Solskjaer's last season and that only thanks to McTominay's heroics in injury time. EtH's tactics have been a complete disaster this season - our defensive play has completely crumbled since preseason and continued into the season even before all the injuries.

ETA. And these defensive errors are a direct result of our defensive play turning to shit. We are currently among the top 3 or 4 teams with the highest Xg against in the league. When a team is conceding a lot of chances, that usually increases the probability of defensive errors being made.

Edited by Consigliere

Sure, But 'mistakes are being made' and 'we're as bad as we were in the last days of Ole' are two vastly different things. We were absolutely terrible then.  Right now we're trying to transition to a new style and perhaps the team isn't ready for that just yet, but the overall play is coming together It's not the same. 

22 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Sure, But 'mistakes are being made' and 'we're as bad as we were in the last days of Ole' are two vastly different things. We were absolutely terrible then.  Right now we're trying to transition to a new style and perhaps the team isn't ready for that just yet, but the overall play is coming together It's not the same. 

This is a results business, especially for club's like United. 'Play coming together' doesn't mean all that much when the results are no better than Solskjaer's last season. So far he's been rather stubbornly sticking with a system that is clearly not working and has made us much worse defensively. He needs to find solutions and fast even if that means abandoning (either partially or totally) this new style he's trying to implement in favour of a more compact system otherwise he isn't going to last for very long. He needs to go back to his pragmatism of last season - we imploded in a few games but were defensively solid for the most part and ended up keeping the most clean sheets in the league.

Meanwhile top of the league again. And we look like fucking prime Barca/Holland.

5-1 home victory. The 1-0 was a nice team goal. Jackson with the assist. The 4-1 in injury time was gorgeous. Beautifully chipped into the top corner. If we keep this up, it'd be promotion by March.

I see that Rooney has left DC United. There are reports that he's due to arrive in England soon and that a deal for him to take over at Birmingham City is close to being completed. If accurate, this is an odd decision because John Eustace has been doing a pretty good job for Birmingham.

We’ve picked probably our strongest passing midfield and it seems like we’re trying to out Brighton Brighton. It can work obviously as shown by the two goals but it doesn’t feel like the high percentage way of going about this match. Just play it down the channels to Nunez.

Hum, I dunno. Refs are a bit reluctant with the double punishment (penalty and red). It wasn't vicious or dangerous (I know that's not the criterion for a red here), so I think a yellow with Gross counting his blessings is ok.

In (former) Liverpool player news. Naby Keita picked up an injury and he will be out for a couple of weeks.