Football: Sieg oder Spielabbruch!

A Horse Named Stranger

RMC Sport reporting that the head of the Indonesian FA has confirmed that discussions are taking place regarding a joint bid for the 2034 WC. Should a bid materialise, it would include Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore and Australia.

Edited by Consigliere

On 10/10/2023 at 12:16 PM, Consigliere said:

Probably the worst signing in Real's history. He cost more than £100m. Initial fee of £88m and there were reports that when Real Madrid won the CL, that triggered an add-on clause worth £20m. He was also reportedly earning around £20m/year.

The really funny part is, when you think about how much their fans hated the best paid golf player in the world, Gareth Bale, and you compare what they still managed to get out him with Hazard's contribution.

Edit: Since we are talking about Real breaking news. Mbappe will join them next year. José Manuel Otero Lastres has confirmed that much. Apparently they didn't make a move for him in the summer, because of the ludicrous bonus payments in his contract with PSG. Thus a move in the summer would have cost Mbappe a fuckton of money. I know, Mbappe to Real, you really didn't see this coming, nobody did. It's shocking really, my jaw is also on the floor.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Not sure if Mbappe's ego is going to handle being the third most important player in the team. 

Third?

I mean I can see Bellingham as #1 if he continues to play like this. But who would be #2?

3 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

The really funny part is, when you think about how much their fans hated the best paid golf player in the world, Gareth Bale, and you compare what they still managed to get out him with Hazard's contribution.

That always struck me as weird, since Bale actually contributed to Real's success in one of their most successful decades since the 1960s, scoring in half the games he played, including Big Cup finals.

Meanwhile Hazard absolutely did nothing, not even a handful of goals, and cost 50% MORE than what they paid for Bale.  Yet the Bernabeu regularly seethed with hatred for the golfing Welshman.

So bizarre.

I can see him outperforming Vinicius over the course of a season.

Camavinga? And you claim I am trolling all the time. Both are on the French team, and afaik there's little discussion about who's the top dog there?

If Mbappé goes to Real Madrid then he will have to accept moving to CF. Can't see Real dropping Vini just to accommodate Mbappé though and if they do, that'll likely cause some friction in the dressing room. Real should've gone in for Kane - Mbappé's signing bonus alone (coming in as a free agent) is probably going to be as much or more than Kane's transfer fee, his agent will probably be demanding a bigger commission and his wages are likely to be higher as well. But... Mbappé has been a bit of an obsession for Perez so not that surprising I suppose that Real didn't make a big money CF signing and instead saved that money for him.

7 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I can see him outperforming Vinicius over the course of a season.

Camavinga? And you claim I am trolling all the time. Both are on the French team, and afaik there's little discussion about who's the top dog there?

I am obviously joking about a bit but at the same time you're looking at the difference between a national team where Camavinga is a 20-year-old breaking into a team where Mbappe was already a national hero for winning the world cup and in which there have been multiple players Camavinga needs to work past to get in, and a Real Madrid team in which Camavinga will have by then spent three years establishing himself and is clearly part of a deliberate long-term plan by the club to replace Kroos and Modric. 

You could make a case that Tchouameni is a better answer to the question at this point of course. So I guess I was wrong- Mbappe will be the fourth-most-important player of the team. 

7 hours ago, Consigliere said:

If Mbappé goes to Real Madrid then he will have to accept moving to CF. Can't see Real dropping Vini just to accommodate Mbappé though and if they do, that'll likely cause some friction in the dressing room. Real should've gone in for Kane - Mbappé's signing bonus alone (coming in as a free agent) is probably going to be as much or more than Kane's transfer fee, his agent will probably be demanding a bigger commission and his wages are likely to be higher as well. But... Mbappé has been a bit of an obsession for Perez so not that surprising I suppose that Real didn't make a big money CF signing and instead saved that money for him.

Obviously it won't have made a difference for calculations over this summer and Kane, but Napoli's social media team may have made Osimhen available for next summer and I feel like he'd be a far better fit for Madrid specifically right now and might conceivably end up being a better player in general, since Mbappe is giving some signs of the classic player who had too much too early. 

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

You could make a case that Tchouameni is a better answer to the question at this point of course. So I guess I was wrong- Mbappe will be the fourth-most-important player of the team. 

Why would he be the fourth most important player when he would likely be their best player? I know the team is pretty stacked, but if that's the case it would seem like a dumb idea to sign him given what his salary will be. 

22 hours ago, Consigliere said:

RMC Sport reporting that the head of the Indonesian FA has confirmed that discussions are taking place regarding a joint bid for the 2034 WC. Should a bid materialise, it would include Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore and Australia.

Normally, I'd be pissed with the very idea of 4 countries (only one of which could qualify on merit) hosting the World Cup but the way we're heading we'll have half the world countries in the World Cup by 2034 so it won't actually matter.

On 10/9/2023 at 12:23 PM, BigFatCoward said:

I literally never mentioned Fergie, I named Keane a few times though, reading helps. 

You still think Rashford is better than Isak?  Shows what you know about football, about as most glory hunters that support a team from another country that they have no earthly reason to.  

If your local clubs are dogshit without any competitive perspectives you'll want to at least connect to a club that means something. 

14 minutes ago, The Sunland Lord said:

If your local clubs are dogshit without any competitive perspectives you'll want to at least connect to a club that means something. 

Most fans are fans of clubs that suck, my club has been dogshit most of my adult life, never wavered. 

1 hour ago, baxus said:

Normally, I'd be pissed with the very idea of 4 countries (only one of which could qualify on merit) hosting the World Cup but the way we're heading we'll have half the world countries in the World Cup by 2034 so it won't actually matter.

Yep, 4 automatic qualifiers out of 48, or whatever bullshit plan they have hardly matters.  Apparently all 6 of the 2030 hosts will qualify, but most would have qualified anyway and even if not, they wouldn't embarrass themselves. 

I can honestly see Fifa openly selling spots not too far into the future. 

48 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Most fans are fans of clubs that suck, my club has been dogshit most of my adult life, never wavered. 

It has nothing to do with success. I've seen my local club win the European Cup when I was 7 years old and Intercontinental Cup the next season. Later I've also seen it turned into a despicable criminal enterprise in the hands of corrupt politicians. Not something I could turn a blind eye to once I was old enough to connect the dots.

45 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I can honestly see Fifa openly selling spots not too far into the future. 

Once they started selling hosting the World Cup, selling spots for playing in it can't be that far behind.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Newcastle plays in a top league that is developed, in a developed country and always was a club with all the elements needed to be taken serious. I'm not talking about winning trophies, I'm talking about not being from a third world country without a proper league and no proper stadia or fans. There's no way to "support" a club that won't even take money for a ticket since no one will attend anyway.

Edited by The Sunland Lord