Secret Santa XOXO - Bringing Back the Love

Jez Bell

It is that time of the year again, to sign up for the ASOIAF world-wide Secret Santa.

As a way of getting to know each other better and bringing us closer together, almost every year for the past 15+ years we have had a Secret Santa "game" here at Westeros.  It is a lovely tradition that has provided much joy.  Let’s revive it this year and bring back some cheer.

I’m offering to host this year, but so much is owed to previous hosts for the idea, rules, and structure. @hexmachina @lanyfreelovecassandra 

I just hope I can do it justice.

We use Christmas as an anchor, but you do not need to celebrate Christmas to participate.  Think about it as a way to share some end-of-year cheer.

This year, there will not be a gift amount.  Spend only what you can afford and be mindful of shipping costs.  DIY gifts are encouraged.  If you are an artist, send a picture.  If you are a baker, send cookies, if you are a writer, send a poem.  It is all about getting to know one another, so hopefully each gift will be a bit of the Santa and a bit for the recipient. 

PLEASE ONLY SIGN UP IF YOU ARE SURE YOU CAN PARTICIPATE! 

You can see how previous years worked here and here and here and here

It works like this:

1)  Sign up ASAP by sending me a PM with title <Board Name - xmas 2023> with your shipping details and permission to disclose your details to your Santa, once assigned.  Your information will not be shared with anyone else or retained beyond this game.

2) Answer at least one of the questionnaires in the thread or send to me by PM if you’re shy.  Pleas add questions that you would like to be asked. This is about sharing and caring.  Try to share as much as comfortable for your Santa to be able to give something meaningful.

3) Nov 13, I will use random.org to assign each Santa a giftee.  Try to find out as much about your giftee as possible through their questionnaires, their posts, etc. 

4) Shop, wrap, add some love.  Ship before December 1 to ensure timely delivery and PM me when you ship so that I can keep track.

5) When you receive your gift, post in the thread about it and PM me to confirm receipt.  Try to guess who it’s from and include pics of your unboxing on the thread.

6) When all gifts have been received and guessing is done, I will reveal the Santas/giftees on the thread.

Please have fun, share in each others' traditions, give and receive in equal measure with gratitude and grace.  Joy is the first rule.  I hope you will all join us.

Questionnaire 1

Spoiler

Favorites:

Color:
Animal:

Scent (e.g. Fruity, Vanilla, Flowery, etc):
Type of Food (e.g. Italian, Mexican, Fast food, etc):
Type of candy or munchie:

Hobby (i.e. Scrap booking, Photography, Puzzles, etc):
Books or types (romance, true store, mystery or just one you would like):
Movies or types (romance, comedy or just a DVD/VHS you would like):
Music Artist/Type or a CD you would like:
Do you collect anything?:
Is there anything (not expensive) you want or need?:

Questionnaire 2:

Spoiler

How would you describe the holidays in one word?

Religious or non-religious Christmas/Chanukkah/Boxing Day/ Bodhi Day…?

Favorite holiday movie/music and why?

If you could spend the holidays in any one of these places, which one would you choose:
a. A beach on a tropical island just a few very close family or friends, be lazy and open presents and then have an island dinner including Pina Coladas and BBQ shrimp, wearing swimsuits, Bermuda shorts and tank tops
b. Tiny cabin in the woods, fire going, very rustic, warm and cozy with your close family and friends, wearing jeans and sweaters.
c. Biltmore Estates, full regalia, all glitter and glitz, all your close family and friends, wearing black tie and velvet
d. City glam, Park Avenue, last minute hustle and bustle, haute couture with a 4 course meal and champagne with 50 of your favorite people. Wearing, of course. the latest fashion trends.

What is your Christmas morning like:
a. chaotic
b. slow and relaxed
c. organized, but fast paced
d. "Christmas is HOW SOON???!!!!"
e. all of the above.

Name something you want but will never buy for yourself, just because you cannot see yourself being that flamboyant.

What sizes do you wear (optional answer if you would prefer to not have clothing)

What colors are in your home:

What style is your home decorated in? (i.e. ethnic, country, southwestern...etc

Anything else your SS should know about you?

Edited by Jez Bell

On 10/3/2023 at 9:48 AM, RhaenysBee said:

I have never actually done Secret Santa before but I’m afraid I’ll have to wait for a non-recession round to join. I do promise it’s a bucket list item and one of these years I’ll do it. Have fun and looking forward to pictures of the fun! :cheers: 

RB has a good point, as always. 

I have changed the rules.  Let's please enjoy the tradition as it was meant to be.

So please join and give what you can... even if only a greeting card.  Draw, bake, write...

There is something special and unique that each of us can share.

This is known.

• 1 month later...
On 11/6/2023 at 4:03 PM, Jez Bell said:

I'm sad we don't have much enthusiasm for secrets this year.

@Mlle. Zabzie @rocksniffer @HexMachina

If you guys are still up for it, it can be the fantastic four

:) .

Would folks be interested in a chain holiday card instead?  My husband's family does this.  First person buys a card and signs it with a nice message/book recommendation (sometimes people put in a paper crane or other origami in my family) and then a stamp so it can be sent on.  Anyhow, it goes around the family until it goes back to my father in law and then he takes a picture and sends to everyone.  It's a lot less a commitment and the cost of an envelope and stamp :)

On 11/8/2023 at 11:45 PM, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Would folks be interested in a chain holiday card instead?  My husband's family does this.  First person buys a card and signs it with a nice message/book recommendation (sometimes people put in a paper crane or other origami in my family) and then a stamp so it can be sent on.  Anyhow, it goes around the family until it goes back to my father in law and then he takes a picture and sends to everyone.  It's a lot less a commitment and the cost of an envelope and stamp :)

It sounds very interesting to me! I couldn't commit to a whole Secret Santa, but I would be interested in this, it sounds a lot more affordable. :) 

On 11/8/2023 at 10:45 PM, Mlle. Zabzie said:

That's a great idea.  What's the best way to start?  I suppose we could do sign-ups the same way and then I will buy the card and send it to the first recipient along with the address for the next.