Videogames: All Valves on Deck

IlyaP

2 hours ago, Darryk said:

I want to play Baldur's Gate 3 a second time but I need a new GFX card first so I'm stumped as to what to play in the meantime.

Thinking maybe Pillars of Eternity 2. Anyone know how it compares to the first one?

PoE2 is bigger than 1, introduced ship sailing, improved lighting and weather effects and animations, features multiple politically opposed factions, and is generally a delightful crpg experience that allows for multiple ways to solve problems.

1 minute ago, IlyaP said:

PoE2 is bigger than 1, introduced ship sailing, improved lighting and weather effects and animations, features multiple politically opposed factions, and is generally a delightful crpg experience that allows for multiple ways to solve problems.

i thought you hated turn based combat, yet you've played all these games!?

Just now, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

i thought you hated turn based combat, yet you've played all these games!?

It's real time with pause. Turn-based was added as a mode of gameplay in a patch about a year after release.

13 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Drop everything and play Cyberpunk,you can thank me later 

I've played Cyberpunk 1.0. It was the main game I played for a year and I loved it. And yes, 2.0 is at the top of my list, going to get the DLC, too. I'm stuck in Stellaris jail though right now. It's a mental illness. I used to do the same thing with the original Master of Orion and Stellaris has mostly taken it's place.

59 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

I've played Cyberpunk 1.0. It was the main game I played for a year and I loved it. And yes, 2.0 is at the top of my list, going to get the DLC, too. I'm stuck in Stellaris jail though right now. It's a mental illness. I used to do the same thing with the original Master of Orion and Stellaris has mostly taken it's place.

I'm a prisoner of Hearts of Iron 4. Paradox knows how to produce an addiction.

22 hours ago, AndrewJ said:

Yakuza 0 is where you jump in. It's the first game chronologically, one of the best and one of the more modern entries in the franchise.

Counterpoint: this was the last game I refunded on Steam a few years ago. I thought it had promise in the humour, but I found the map design, combat and graphics to be really underwhelming. I actually thought it was the remaster of the first game, so was like "Yeah, it makes sense this is a 2005 game with a reskin," and was shocked when I realised it was an almost new game. I couldn't really get into the combat either, which is problematic given how much combat there is in the game.

I kinda like the idea of the series and the characters were entertaining, but I think you need to be much more into karaoke minigames and repetitive combat to get through the series. There are, what, eight games in the main series and another four or five side-games, and none of them are short, so it seemed like a lot to get through.

I must admit I have been tempted by the last one, though. The shift to turn-based combat and the soft reboot of the story with new characters is intriguing.

I had a look today on Steam at Star Wars: Jedi - Survivor, and somehow it's still getting negative reviews, and still has bugs? I've just purchased it, and will give it a second try (bought it when it came out and oh BOY was it a frustrating experience). 

Have there been any major patches/improvements of note since release in April? Or promises of more patches/bug fixes? Or has Respawn abandoned it and moved on to the next thing? 

36 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

I had a look today on Steam at Star Wars: Jedi - Survivor, and somehow it's still getting negative reviews, and still has bugs? I've just purchased it, and will give it a second try (bought it when it came out and oh BOY was it a frustrating experience). 

Have there been any major patches/improvements of note since release in April? Or promises of more patches/bug fixes? Or has Respawn abandoned it and moved on to the next thing? 

It was great on console. Probably another bad pc port.

2 hours ago, IlyaP said:

I couldn’t even get through the previous game on PC, due to the constant stuttering, was giving me nausea. 

44 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

It was on the opening section of the game, I played for 2-3 hours then gave up. Still waiting for a Star Wars game better than Kotor….hopefully outlaws lives up to it. 

I'm partial to KotOR 2, warts and all. I tried to play the new Kal Kestus game when it came out but it didn't run right on my pc. <_<

1 hour ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

It was on the opening section of the game, I played for 2-3 hours then gave up. Still waiting for a Star Wars game better than Kotor….hopefully outlaws lives up to it. 

So just the planet of Bracca? You never made it off-planet?

5 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Nope 

For whatever it's worth, the game does get better after Bracca, though there are some *severe* optimisation issues that many have noted that take place upon reaching both Dathomir and Kashyyyk. Even my machine, which runs CP77 with no issue, gets occasionally choppy with those two planets in a few spots. 

That said - the game's score by Gordy Habb and Stephen Barton? Mwah. These guys need more work and need to be scoring the shows/films. They're just such wonderful composers.