Football Varararararararararararia Hosannah in Excelsis

BigFatCoward

Hoping for good results for all of the English teams in Europe, most of our rivals need to be just as fucked towards the end of the year as we are, that fight for 4th/5th looks like its going to be brutal.   

I'm absolutely dreading the christmas period with our injury crisis, if we can just get to mid Jan still in contention, get our starters back and make 2 signings in the transfer window i'll be ecstatic (right sided centre half and a central midfield player - Phillips would be great on loan if it allowed us to also bring in Centre Forward cover). 

Wasting the money is frustrating, but ETH's near-instant discovery that Mount was a pointless buy because McTominay is better at playing the role Mount was bought for than Mount is is very funny. 

I know Mount's injured right now but he's gonna struggle to get a game for a while.

That United game was weird.

And Onana looked bad on two goals.

First goal I thought at first maybe it was deflected off some other players leg that could make a goalkeeper look bad. But no, it was apparently just a case of bad goalkeeping.

The second one I can (to a very minor degree) kinda sympathize with Onana, as there was a bit of traffic in front of him and a Gala player being able to connect with a header and alter the direction of the ball. So that was probably part of the equation and thus not as easy as it looked.

I don't think he is a horrible goalkeeper. But that sorta goals could make him United's Kepa.

Onana has actually been very good in the league. He's up there with Alisson in terms of save percentage and XG saved. It's been a very different story in the CL though where he's been absolutely terrible and is probably the single biggest reason why United are dead last in the group rather than in second place.

Paul Joyce reporting that Everton could be at risk of another points deduction this season should their 2022/2023 financial results fail to comply with the Premier League's Profit and Sustainability rules. Clubs are now required to submit their accounts to the PL before 31 December rather than March as was the case previously. Under new regulations brought in during the summer, straightforward breaches of financial rules will be fast-tracked so they are dealt with before the end of the season.

10 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

How big a point deduction would take to make the relegation battle interesting?

Hard to tell this season. They are currently on track for 31 points which would normally have them fucked.

But there are some proper garbage teams this year.  Anything over 5/6 point deduction I think they are in big trouble. 

Luton's unexpected run of being only very bad puts them in some danger if they lose a few more, but even with that they've got a good chance of being an extra ten points clear even after this current deduction. It currently looks a bit worse because Luton won last week and they didn't, but I'm fairly sure that'll even itself out. Still a solid chance they'll be above Luton by year's end which would put them on a very strong path to getting clear even of another deduction.

The promoted teams this year are so bad

We have no defence due to injuries (though doing ok) but decent midfield/forwards but a shocking bench, Man Utd have a dogshit goalkeeper who's confidence is surely toast, but are no great shakes going forward (16 goals in 13).  So I slightly favour us in the battle of the 'hanging around rather than excelling' battle on Saturday. 

PS 20:00 fixtures on a Saturday night can fuck right off. 

In other news.

Looks like PG might get his wish from the previous thread.

If Newcastle don't interfere with the release fee bargain.

Personally, I'd find it immensely funny, if United don't want to spend on a forward while Martial is still on the books and Newcaste want to buy in other positions and Guirassy ends up at Palace (or somewhere like that) to continue his red hot streak of form there.

45 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Man Utd have a dogshit goalkeeper who's confidence is surely toast

You're not playing us in the CL so he should be fine. 

45 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

PS 20:00 fixtures on a Saturday night can fuck right off. 

Making me choose between the football and the boxing is uncouth. 

12 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Guirassy ends up at Palace (or somewhere like that)

If we don't get him he feels like a perfect West Ham signing.