Seven Kings must die

Nice scenario.  I'd say Stannis would win this hands down though Tywin isn't a bad tactician and Robb did well while underrated.  Some were proven inept, some never got a shot, but didn't have an reason to think they'd be great battle commanders.  I think the main thing is that Stannis waited out a long time before commiting himself to the field and when he did, his strategies were largely smart ones (even if he fell for well laid traps).  Though there are many variables (do they fight on land or would Balon keep to the sea with his 20,000), I still think under any circumstance, Stannis is more likely to win.  

Who do you think?

Off the top. You would have to think Stannis and Tywin have the edge, as they have lots of experience, so they would be the favorites.

But Robb, never lost a battle and I wouldn't bet against Jon.

Least likely imo is Balon, unless it is on the sea and Renly has little direct experience other than playing dress up.

Absolute wild card. Mance. He is crafty enough to win with the right conditions. 

So many variables. Land/Sea. Who their sub commanders are. Terrain. Difference in how they are armed and armored. Experience of the troops. Who has home turf. The make up of the 20,000(Horse, bows, infantry)

All things being equal. Stannis. 

4 hours ago, Alden Rothack said:

Balon, Renly, Tywin, Jon, Robb, Stannis and Mance all start with 20,000 men, which of them is victorious

Mance comes out on top. I want to say Tywin but Mance is quite the clever barbarian. Balon and Jon would fare the worst. Robb and Stannis would handle theirs well enough. Renly is a wild card. 

Balon's army is useless off their boats, but somehow they defeat Stannis' men before succumbing to Tywin's

Jon gets duped trying to make peace with Tywin

Renley does the same thing right after Jon does. 

Mance's 20000 are 300 warriors and 19700 refugees and quickly dispatched

Robb meets a girl along the way

Tywin, after manipulating all of his other enemies into either fighting amoung themselves or getting isolated enough that he can handle them himself finally has to go up against Stannis who eventually defeats him because his forces are fresh because he pretended to lose to the Iron Born and route, but in fact hid up at the wall and have returned in force now that there's only one rival left standing.

I think Jon and Robb would almost certainly have an unspoken alliance. That'd be a huge edge against the others if they don't make it too obvious from the start enough to cause everyone else to initially gang up on them. 

1 hour ago, Lord Lannister said:

I think Jon and Robb would almost certainly have an unspoken alliance. That'd be a huge edge against the others if they don't make it too obvious from the start enough to cause everyone else to initially gang up on them. 

Would the others be able to trust each other enough to band together, though? There is chronic backstabber Balon, the Baratheon brothers, and a wildling in this mix.

2 hours ago, SaffronLady said:

Would the others be able to trust each other enough to band together, though? There is chronic backstabber Balon, the Baratheon brothers, and a wildling in this mix.

in this situation yes as only Balon is the only actual idiot in the pack

16 hours ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

Mance comes out on top. I want to say Tywin but Mance is quite the clever barbarian. Balon and Jon would fare the worst. Robb and Stannis would handle theirs well enough. Renly is a wild card. 

lol, I think Balon, Mance, Tywin and Renly lose early

Tywin is one of the better commanders but nobody likes him

7 hours ago, Alden Rothack said:

in this situation yes as only Balon is the only actual idiot in the pack

lol, I think Balon, Mance, Tywin and Renly lose early

Tywin is one of the better commanders but nobody likes him

Being liked in Westeros is not as important as having respect. Jon and Balon are not smart enough to lead the troops to  survive. Mance is unfortunately smart enough though. 

9 minutes ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

Being liked in Westeros is not as important as having respect. Jon and Balon are not smart enough to lead the troops to  survive. Mance is unfortunately smart enough though. 

Mance is still at a serious disadvantage because none of the others like, respect or fear him because of the low quality of his troops, Tywin is feared, Stannis is respected, Robb was respected and feared until his mistakes made his cause collapse.

Balon really is an idiot, Jon isn't to anywhere near the same degree and he has people he can ally with which Balon refuses to do

On 1/6/2024 at 9:57 AM, Alden Rothack said:

Mance is still at a serious disadvantage because none of the others like, respect or fear him because of the low quality of his troops, Tywin is feared, Stannis is respected, Robb was respected and feared until his mistakes made his cause collapse.

Balon really is an idiot, Jon isn't to anywhere near the same degree and he has people he can ally with which Balon refuses to do

Robb used force, his attack mutt, to get respect. He was pretty smart in tactics but awful at governing. It was stupid to break his oath to Walder and dumb to kill Karstark. And Jon is just as dumb as Balon. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2024 at 1:25 PM, Moiraine Sedai said:

Robb used force, his attack mutt, to get respect. He was pretty smart in tactics but awful at governing. It was stupid to break his oath to Walder and dumb to kill Karstark. And Jon is just as dumb as Balon. 

Jon is not as dumb as Balon, i have my doubts that Jinglebell is as dumb as Balon is

• 2 weeks later...