NFL Playoffs 2024: How The Hell Are The Lions In The Final Four??? Inconceivable!

42 minutes ago, DMC said:

So the official cap number for the 2024 season came out today at $255.4 million.  That's over a $30 million increase from last year and about $12 million more than what everybody projected as recently as a week ago.

This is great news for the Niners.  They actually should be able to improve their roster for at least this coming season without undertaking a ton of restructures.  Hitting on this draft is still vital, but these increases should keep their window open a lot longer if they can continue developing talent as ShanaLynch have throughout their tenure.

Great news for the FA's this year too.  There will be a week of nutso spending to kick off free agency.

Niners promoted from within for their new Defensive Coordinator (Nick Sorenson).  Interesting thing is they also hired Brandon Staley as Assistant Head Coach.

There were reports Staley was being considered for DC.  That didn't make sense to me - the entire problem with Wilks was he came from with a different scheme and couldn't adapt to what Shanahan wants to do with the defense.  With Staley that'd be even more so - he's a Fangio acolyte that runs a 3-4.  So..I guess this makes sense?

Funny thing about Staley being hired as Assistant HC is he's replacing Anthony Lynn (who left to be the Commanders' running game guy).  Staley, of course, also replaced Anthony Lynn as Chargers head coach.  I guess this means Shanahan's next Assistant HC will be Jim Harbaugh.  :D

I'm just curious where he'll end up.  Gotta figure some team is gonna convince themselves they can unlock the old Wilson-ness.  Suspect he'll actually have a fairly competitive market.

Just now, DMC said:

I'm just curious where he'll end up.  Gotta figure some team is gonna convince themselves they can unlock the old Wilson-ness.  Suspect he'll actually have a fairly competitive market.

Will he though?

Who is going to go after him?  Rumors are saying that if Cousins doesn't sign with the VIkes, then Atlanta will jump at him.  Bears may be going QB and if so, someone will go for young Justin Fields.  Commanders are likely to take a QB in the draft, but maybe they think they could use him to mentor a younger guy?  Giants maybe?

1 minute ago, Rhom said:

Who is going to go after him?

I dunno.  Obviously there's Cousins and Fields out there that will take up two QB-looking teams.  Mayfield too I suppose, but I think he just re-signs.  Then others that will look towards the draft. 

But I still suspect there are enough QB-curious teams out there that will still take a shot if they miss out in the draft and free agency.  And/or want to redshirt their draftee, which frankly isn't a bad idea considering he'll be relatively cheap.

3 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Will he though?

Who is going to go after him?  Rumors are saying that if Cousins doesn't sign with the VIkes, then Atlanta will jump at him.  Bears may be going QB and if so, someone will go for young Justin Fields.  Commanders are likely to take a QB in the draft, but maybe they think they could use him to mentor a younger guy?  Giants maybe?

New England? Now that'd be super funny. 

I was kind of surprised how decent Wilson ended up being last year; he wasn't nearly as horrifyingly bad as I thought he would have been. 

1 minute ago, Kalbear said:

I was kind of surprised how decent Wilson ended up being last year; he wasn't nearly as horrifyingly bad as I thought he would have been. 

Yeah my brother and I would be listening to Ringer podcasts as early as September about how horrible he was then I'd look at my phone and be like...he actually didn't do that bad this week.  That's just the numbers though, I didn't watch him.

1 hour ago, Jace, Extat said:

I was stunned when Sean Payton benched Wilson, I thought he'd been playing fairly well.

Wilson had an injury guarantee that meant his entire enormous contract became guaranteed if he got hurt.  Once the broncos were eliminated from there playoffs, there was no benefit to playing him and risking him getting hurt.  So he got benched, simple as that.  

Seahawks released Jamal Adams, and that would be a much bigger news item in terms of worst trades ever if it wasn't for the Wilson trade. 

Reports are that Wilson will meet with the Steelers.

I don’t know why that didn’t occur to me earlier in the week when I posted.  But I have to admit, that makes a lot of sense for both parties there.

25 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Reports are that Wilson will meet with the Steelers.

I don’t know why that didn’t occur to me earlier in the week when I posted.  But I have to admit, that makes a lot of sense for both parties there.

...It's been widely rumored at least since his release was officially announced.  Mayhaps -- mayhaps -- get out of Kentucky and join the rest of America.

Kevin Dotson being re-signed in LA is a big win for everyone concerned.  He was a road grader in Pittsburgh, and it was a shame the Steelers' OC and OL coach could not figure out how to play him.

50 minutes ago, DMC said:

...It's been widely rumored at least since his release was officially announced.  Mayhaps -- mayhaps -- get out of Kentucky and join the rest of America.

It’s March… my attention is elsewhere.

(And I haven’t visited an NFL site since… you know… :( )

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Some of the people who attended the record cold Chiefs playoff game in January had to undergo amputations after suffering frostbite, a Missouri hospital said Friday.

Research Medical Center didn't provide exact numbers but said in a statement that it treated dozens of people who had experienced frostbite during an 11-day cold snap in January. Twelve of those people -- including some who were at the Jan. 13 game -- had to undergo amputations involving mostly fingers and toes. The hospital said more surgeries are expected over the next two to four weeks as "injuries evolve."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39687119/some-fans-frigid-chiefs-dolphins-playoff-game-required-amputations-per-hospital

I still believe every cold weather team should at least have a retractable roof. This is just foolish at this point. Really every team should, but especially those with extreme climates (this also goes for the teams with stadiums cooking in the sun). 

Mac Jones for a sixth round pick to the Jags... well, okay.  That's certainly a choice.

I know its a false equivalency and different coaches/situations blah, blah, blah... but Jones was in contention for Rookie of the Year and was a Pro Bowl Alternate.  And yet, we expect Justin Fields to fetch a second rounder or some such?

On 3/9/2024 at 5:37 PM, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39687119/some-fans-frigid-chiefs-dolphins-playoff-game-required-amputations-per-hospital

I still believe every cold weather team should at least have a retractable roof. This is just foolish at this point. Really every team should, but especially those with extreme climates (this also goes for the teams with stadiums cooking in the sun). 

That's because you're weak. With soft, Minnesota, blood that runs thick from syrup. 

No domes! They anger God.