Football: The long goodbye. tic-toc goes the Klopp.

14 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Horrible from Klopp. Gakpo can't play on the wing FFS! 

What? Firstly he can play wide but, more pertinently, he was mostly playing through the middle. Also what else was Klopp going to do with Salah injured and Nunez apparently not fit enough to start?

Really disappointing performance and result.  We’ve struggled against Arsenal this season even if we snatched a win in the cup tie.  We had too many players missing today for a top-of-table clash like this but also didn’t get great performances from the players on the field.  What’s galling is that the weakest points were predictable: Gakpo has been ghosting in and out of games as a starter and doesn’t offer the threat of Nunez (who gave the Arsenal CBs a lot of problems in the prior game), Gravenberch looks soft and inconsistent against any strong opponent and is only ready for weaker opponents at this point, Trent is good against parked bus opponents but a liability against an opponent with real attacking intent (and Martinelli has had his number in the past), and VVD has been getting too casual again lately.  Only Alisson’s performance could not have been predicted.  Once you have that many weak points, the whole team gets dragged down because the collective coordination of the system is gone.

My twitter feed is all covered in comments from the celebration police (i.e., Neville, Carragher, Ferdinand, Keys). Have I just been blind because it wasn't my team but has there ever been this much discussion within UK football media about how happy a team is allowed to be when winning a big game? On NBC sports in the US, all the focus was on the tactical nature of the game but every commentary I keep seeing from UK clips (and I fully recognize they're just clips) is on how much Arsenal celebrates and how much they shouldn't.

ETA: seems it’s just Sky Sports really and a few others but BBC MOTD was great and as I said, US coverage was very good. Still, it’s constant and I just don’t any commentary that’s been associated with celebrations with other teams.

Edited by Mexal

Whinging man-babies, the lot of them. They can lick my fucking scrotum.

Remember Carragher and Neville dancing with the Brentford fans after they beat us.

We battered the Scousers yesterday. Fucking. Battered. Them.

Best team in the fucking land.

As Wrighty said, "Just leave us alone, man."

COYG!

Edited by Spockydog

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

Still, it’s constant and I just don’t any commentary that’s been associated with celebrations with other teams.

I think it's generally culturally frowned upon to over celebrate in the UK. It's no uncommon to see 'you've not won anything yet' sort of comments. I suspect you're seeing more of this particular case because you're an Arsenal fan so you probably follow a lot of Arsenal fans/bloggers online.

I thought the Arteta stuff was fine. He was fired up when they scored a probably winning goal in a make or game and then celebrated with the fans after the game to thank them for their support. The Odegaard stuff after the game was a bit cringy but, you know, whatever, he's going to get shit for it for a while if they end up coming third and it'll be forgotten if they win the title.

10 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

We battered the Scousers yesterday. Fucking. Battered. Them.

Best team in the fucking land.

Speaking of cringy over celebrating.

3 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I think it's generally culturally frowned upon to over celebrate in the UK. It's no uncommon to see 'you've not won anything yet' sort of comments. I suspect you're seeing more of this particular case because you're an Arsenal fan so you probably follow a lot of Arsenal fans/bloggers online.

I thought the Arteta stuff was fine. He was fired up when they scored a probably winning goal in a make or game and then celebrated with the fans after the game to thank them for their support. The Odegaard stuff after the game was a bit cringy but, you know, whatever, he's going to get shit for it for a while if they end up coming third and it'll be forgotten if they win the title.

Speaking of cringy over celebrating.

Yeah, Stuart McFarlane is a lifelong Gooner. He's been the club photographer since he was a young man.

And this was one of the best, one of the most important games, we've ever won on that statdium.

So, yeah, the celebration police can fuck right off. No matter where they fucking live.

8 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

But there was literally a clip from the PL official twitter account a week ago showcasing Klopp's over the top celebrations. I just don't remember national pundits shitting all over Klopp for it but maybe it was happening and I just wasn't paying attention. Pep has done it, City has celebrated, mid table teams celebrate, De Zerbi literally went insane for the 3rd goal Brighton scored on Saturday. It's natural. That was my main question, do you remember as a Liverpool fan, Carragher, Neville, et al ever criticizing Klopp / Liverpool for celebrating when they've won a big match?

As for Odegaard, I think it's amazing. Here is the captain of the team, taking a lap with the club photographer who has been working with Arsenal for 20+ years and is a lifelong gooner. You have the fans going insane behind you and you force the photographer, who's always taking the photos to have one of himself on the pitch post-match between the two top clubs in the PL right now. That's just leadership. I see nothing cringe about that. He just made Stuart MacFarlane feel valued in a way that is impossible to measure. I wish we saw more of that type of shit rather than criticizing it.

Edited by Mexal

Mex, it's bitterness and jealousy, pure and simple. And probably a tad xenophobic. 'Cos it's a swarthy Spaniard, and not England's brave Gary O'Neill (who did a bit of celebrating himself at the weekend).

Edited by Spockydog

Just now, Spockydog said:

Mex, it's bitterness and jealousy, pure and simple.

I get it but I'm just trying to understand if it's just Arsenal or it's always been happening and I just wasn't aware because it doesn't show up on my page since it's not Arsenal. All commentary on celebrations is annoying to me because it takes away from the game itself and focuses on something completely arbitrary and in the moment.

3 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I get it but I'm just trying to understand if it's just Arsenal or it's always been happening and I just wasn't aware because it doesn't show up on my page since it's not Arsenal. All commentary on celebrations is annoying to me because it takes away from the game itself and focuses on something completely arbitrary and in the moment.

It's just Arsenal. Frankly, we've had to put up with it for years. First it was Arsene Wenger, with his weird, unmanly, foreigner ways, turning players into athletes, etc.

It's really fucking boring.

3 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

And this was one of the best, one of the most important games, we've ever won on that statdium.

Mate, you're still third favourites for the title. If you'd lost you probably would have been totally out of the title race but so it was a big game but, come on, the most likely result of that win is that it's made City stronger favourites.

3 minutes ago, Mexal said:

But there was literally a clip from the PL official twitter account a week ago showcasing Klopp's over the top celebrations. I just don't remember national pundits shitting all over Klopp for it but maybe it was happening and I just wasn't paying attention. That was my main question. Pep has done it, City has celebrated, mid table teams celebrate, De Zerbi literally went insane for the 3rd goal Brighton scored on Saturday. It's natural.

People like Klopp more than Arteta so, you know, he probably does get more leeway but it's not like there aren't complaints about his antics on the sidelines at times. Plus a lot of the talk around Klopp at the moment is in the context of him saying he's going to leave.

Anyway, like I said, I thought Arteta was fine.

7 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Mate, you're still third favourites for the title. If you'd lost you probably would have been totally out of the title race but so it was a big game but, come on, the most likely result of that win is that it's made City stronger favourites.

Is your intention here just to prove my point a few posts back? Because this post fucking reeeeeeeks of bitterness. 

Edited by Spockydog

7 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Sadly, the bold is true.