Football: The long goodbye. tic-toc goes the Klopp.

Hard disagree on a soft penalty call.

Van Dijk moves sideways after Gallagher's touch, knocks his knee and prevents him from going one-on-one with Allison.

Clear penalty, should be picked up by VAR as a matter of routine. 

Yeah, it's the exact kind of thing VAR is for. It's understandable that the ref missed it live but a blatant foul from replays.

Anyway, other than that, I was worried Chelsea are starting to get themselves together a bit with their recent run of wins, but no, they're still wank. 

21 minutes ago, The Sunland Lord said:

Also, are Chelsea entering a mid-table era for the foreseeable future? Ever since Boehly bought the club they're on the way to irrelevance.

It would be funny if they did but in terms of their underlying xg numbers they're about the fourth best team in the league. That's probably a bit disappointing relative to the money they've spent and missing out on Champions League money again might cause them some problems but they're probably going to start trending back in the direction of the top 4 or 5 over the longer term.

Good win for Liverpool and a great night for Bradley.  A goal, two assists (five in his last four games) and MotM.  He and Gomez have been very good as back-up FBs and either would be disappointed to lose their place in the XI.  The MF looked really solid too.  Hopefully this trio can stay fit as the primary MF and use rotation/subs to keep everyone fresh.  Madness that we could yet have Thiago and Bajcetic back too, although I’m placing zero expectation on either for the rest of the season.

VVD was too casual in conceding a goal to Norwich at the weekend and followed it up tonight being too casual on Nkunku for his goal and almost conceding two penalties.  He has been very good this season, finally looking like his pre-injury level, but he still has moments when he’s not sharp enough in his defending.  Konate is probably defending better than him.

Nunez’ finishing regressed again unfortunately.  Hitting the post four times (albeit one pushed onto the post by the GK) is edging into self-parody.  But, trying to stay positive, he had a large number of high quality shots.  He’s playing well to create these chances, but missing too many.  At least the front three looked connected and potent.

9 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I feel like that's one of those situations where xG is misrepresenting reality, because they're fucking shit. Soft, disorganised, and prone to losing their cool. It's basically Cole Palmer and a bunch of dudes. 

Given Nkunu's finish today, there might be something there that will help. 

Jackson might evolve and come good. Broja, I think his time has come and gone.

9 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I feel like that's one of those situations where xG is misrepresenting reality, because they're fucking shit. Soft, disorganised, and prone to losing their cool. It's basically Cole Palmer and a bunch of dudes. 

I feel like XG is massively over hyped as a signal. I used to be a big advocate of it to inform my fantasy football decisions and it got me nowhere. Sometimes you just have to watch the match to understand where the model breaks down. People telling me Nicolas Jackson will come good, sounds good, till you actually see him in the box. 

12 hours ago, ljkeane said:

It would be funny if they did but in terms of their underlying xg numbers they're about the fourth best team in the league. That's probably a bit disappointing relative to the money they've spent and missing out on Champions League money again might cause them some problems but they're probably going to start trending back in the direction of the top 4 or 5 over the longer term.

I tuned in at around half an hour mark, so I can't speak about what happened before that, but from that point Chelsea were abysmal. Not sure about xG and all that, but I can't see what good it will do them since they could barely string together a couple of passes to get anywhere near Liverpool's box.

1 hour ago, baxus said:

I tuned in at around half an hour mark, so I can't speak about what happened before that, but from that point Chelsea were abysmal. Not sure about xG and all that, but I can't see what good it will do them since they could barely string together a couple of passes to get anywhere near Liverpool's box.

Well, yeah, they got battered yesterday but I don’t think getting outplayed at Anfield is going to determine whether they’re mired in mid table mediocrity or not.

10 minutes ago, baxus said:

Agreed, "Visiting team outplayed at Anfield" is hardly news. But "A billion pound visiting team producing nothing at Anfield" is.

its not news when that team was assembled in the same way a stoner would put a plate together in an all you can eat dessert buffet.