Aegon’s Conquest Series Developing with Writer Mattson Tomlin

Interesting news broke last night that HBO is gearing up to explore the extensive history of Westeros with a new spinoff series centered around Aegon’s Conquest. According to a report from James Hibberd and Borys Kit for The Hollywood Reporter, the network has enlisted much-in-demand writer Mattson Tomlin to develop the project.

Last year, we noted news out of Variety that HBO had starting looking into bringing Aegon’s Conquest to the small screen (and, perhaps, even the big screen—a theatrical lead-in was under discussion) and actively sought a writer to head the development of this thrilling prequel series. That search seems to have ended.

https://www.westeros.org/Graphics/Images/_medium/Simonetti_Aegon-Harrenhal.jpg

read on >>>

View the full article

1 hour ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Aegon’s Conquest is good for the lore, but it’s a pretty boring story on its own, with the Targs just steam-rolling over everyone. I’m also not sure how you could portray them as the heroes here in this day and age.

There are ways to make it interesting, by fleshing out the motivations, goals, and agendas of the conquered kings. And it is not that the Targaryens really do break the kingdoms. Those people want to be conquered/think it is better if there is but one king left. You see this with the ease the Riverlords, Arryns, and Starks submit.

1 hour ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Aegon’s Conquest is good for the lore, but it’s a pretty boring story on its own, with the Targs just steam-rolling over everyone. I’m also not sure how you could portray them as the heroes here in this day and age.

Netflix has just done a series on Alexander, and Vikings was a hugely popular series. I think many would just see them as badass.

Edited by SeanF

4 hours ago, KingAerys_II said:

That's just what the fandom wished to see from the beginning

Speak for yourself. I, for one, did not ask for this.

3 hours ago, SeanF said:

Netflix has just done a series on Alexander, and Vikings was a hugely popular series. I think many would just see them as badass.

Argilac was a badass with a badass name and a badass death.

It won't be easy to make sympathetic protagonists out of three incestuous polygamous siblings who routinely burn thousands to death to satisfy their lust for conquest.

It's a show that, in order to work, will require to make up much more stuff than HotD.

On 2/10/2024 at 6:14 PM, SeanF said:

I think many would just see them as badass.

I don't think there's a way to portray the First Dornish war as badass unless Dorne is just NPCs without personality.

The six or seven time that Aegon is burning children...

1 hour ago, frenin said:

I don't think there's a way to portray the First Dornish war as badass unless Dorne is just NPCs without personality.

The six or seven time that Aegon is burning children...

I don’t know.  Lots of people venerate the Spartans, Romans, Vikings, and Mongols.

54 minutes ago, SeanF said:

I don’t know.  Lots of people venerate the Spartans, Romans, Vikings, and Mongols.

Their victims are usually portrayed as NPCs and statistics.

Obviously that can be an angle but I just don't know how popular it'd be portraying the master race commiting genocide.

On 2/11/2024 at 5:43 PM, The hairy bear said:

It won't be easy to make sympathetic protagonists out of three incestuous polygamous siblings who routinely burn thousands to death to satisfy their lust for conquest.

It's a show that, in order to work, will require to make up much more stuff than HotD.

Put Henry Cavill, Kathryn Winnick, and Freya Allan in the roles of Aegon, Visenya, and Rhaenys, and viewers will root for them because they’re hot.

On 2/11/2024 at 6:43 PM, The hairy bear said:

Harren the Black using flesh and bones to build the Harrenhal, the wars among the Reach, Dorne and the Stormlands, Aegon dream of the Long Night could easily fix that