US Politics: Courting Justice...or Disaster?

Nobody said that's okay. Again, describing something is not the same as condoning it.

I mean, we have had a lot of discussions describing racist profiling and other police actions, which are racist. Just pointing out they exist, is just recognizing that fact. Here it'S really the same thing, He was merely pointing out that that anti-semitism exists around the globe.

2 minutes ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

Oh they hate. I have seen it myself with a co-worker that admitted a test showed 1/8 Jewish ancestry. Like flipping a switch and some people started to dislike him.

And that is wrong… every time someone hates another for their ethnicity or their faith (not the way they apply their faith to another) it is wrong and evil.

6 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Nobody said that's okay. Again, describing something is not the same as condoning it.

I mean, we have had a lot of discussions describing racist profiling and other police actions, which are racist. Just pointing out they exist, is just recognizing that fact. Here it'S really the same thing, He was merely pointing out that that anti-semitism exists around the globe.

And it’s wrong… every time.  Every member of the “Greatest Generation” who hated “Japs” for being Japanese was wrong.

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

5 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Yes I am going to bully them, because not picking a side when you only have two choices doesn't absolve you of the bad shit either, and many times you end up contributing to the worse side. There's no honor in that. Be a fucking adult. Voting is strategic and you have to often vote for people you despise. 

No. No. No. 

'None of the above', or just not bothering to vote , is a perfectly valid democratic response when you've got nothing but a bunch of warmongering cunts on a ballot paper. 

You don't get to tell anyone how they should vote. 

And personally, by not voting for Keir Starmer, the blood of thousands more Palestinians will most definitely not be on my hands. 

That's how democracy works. 

Edited by Spockydog

1 minute ago, Spockydog said:

No. No. No. 

'None of the above', or just not bothering to vote , is a perfectly valid response when you've got nothing but a bunch of warmongering cunts on a ballot paper. 

You don't get to tell anyone how they should vote. 

Wow… was I castigated for a decade for arguing that.

Just now, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

And that is wrong… every time someone hates another for their ethnicity or their faith (not the way they apply their faith to another) it is wrong and evil.

Did I claim otherwise when it comes to ethnicity?

Personally I believe that any person who promotes faith helps the fanatics though. There is far less fertile soil for religion based intolerance if people are not religious at all.

4 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

And it’s wrong… every time.  Every member of the “Greatest Generation” who hated “Japs” for being Japanese was wrong.

Sure, but I didn't think you need a disclaimer for every post, that starts with the description of the following state of things is morally awful.

So I am genuinely not sure what you are arguing about.

1 minute ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Sure, but I didn't think you need a disclaimer for every post, that starts with the description of the following state of things is morally awful.

So I am genuinely not sure what you are arguing about.

I think there is a very fine line between saying “everyone hates [group X]” and shrugging… and saying such is “just the way of the world”.  The second is noxious in the extreme.

2 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Many people here.

I will literally fight anyone who tries to force me to vote for Keir fucking Starmer. Luckily, and for my own peace of mind, we have The Green Party over here. 

28 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I believed everyone here who said it was impossible Trump would win.  I saw four years of Trump and his narcissistic bullshit and his abuse of existing norms while people defended and apologized for his abuses.  I watched 1/6/2021.  

So...what changed is that some people were right to call you out on it, and then you saw what actually happened.

Can you maybe, possibly see how that also applies to people's reaction towards Biden and Israel?

29 minutes ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

Alright, what about those who do not have that level of personal connection? A quick Google search on Palestinan American is just over 166,000 as of 2021. That is not enough to move an election. We are dealing with many more people who have empathy for the Palestinian cause.

There are over 3 million Palestinians in Israeli-occupied territories, and they have relatives across the Arab world. The idea that you have to be specifically Palestinian in order to be related to them is as bizarre as thinking you have to be specifically Israeli in order to be related or know Israelis. 

20 minutes ago, TrackerNeil said:

So, basically, Ser Scot changed his opinion based on new facts, or a new understanding of the facts. Would that we could all do the same.

And is also outraged and shocked when people who voted for Biden in 2020 are now changing their viewpoint based on new facts and events. 

37 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

That wasn't the question tho.

You asked to name the most hated ethnic group. You didn't say name the most justifiably hated ethnic group. Which are the Brits obviously.

4 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

So...what changed is that some people were right to call you out on it, and then you saw what actually happened.

Can you maybe, possibly see how that also applies to people's reaction towards Biden and Israel?

No.  Because of my past experience with Trump and the unavoidable fact that Trump is the alternative to Biden and Trump is infinitely worse than Biden.

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

No.  Because of my past experience with Trump and the unavoidable fact that Trump is the alternative to Biden.

Gotcha. You do not see how the deaths of 10,000 kids might change people's decision on voting. 

So how many kids' deaths would change your view? Or is it more the case that it isn't the amount of children dead, but which specific ones? 

8 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I think there is a very fine line between saying “everyone hates [group X]” and shrugging… and saying such is “just the way of the world”.  The second is noxious in the extreme.

There's also a difference between merely acknowleding that's the world we live in (like it or not) and being happy about it. I mean, sure we all could always add a performative and it's wrong, but that's not really changing things either.

Personally, I find it not particularly productive or helpful, when you deconstruct something that you have to add and it's wrong every second sentence.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

1 minute ago, Kalbear said:

Gotcha. You do not see how the deaths of 10,000 kids might change people's decision on voting. 

So how many kids' deaths would change your view? Or is it more the case that it isn't the amount of children dead, but which specific ones? 

What will Trump do about Gaza?  And Trump is the only viable alternative to Biden.

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

What will Trump do about Gaza?  And Trump is the only viable alternative to Biden.

Trump will absolutely encourage more people to die in Gaza. It's not talked about nearly enough but one of the turning points for Hamas was the US choosing to acknowledge Jerusalem as the capital and the rest of the world just going along with it, and that was all on Trump. 

That still isn't the point. The point is that for a number of people, right now, voting for Biden means voting for someone who effectively encouraged the deaths of the people they care about. They may not vote for Trump - they probably won't - but it would be a remarkable thing to say to them to vote for someone who they view as complicit in their friends and family's deaths. 

So I ask again, Scot - can you understand why they may not want to do that?