NBA - squeaky bum time

BigFatCoward

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Arakasi said:

Hitting 23/43 3s will do that. Ofc if they keep doing that they’ll win the series but that’s fairly unlikely.

Still a good job keeping Boston 30 points below their season average. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

6 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

typo, i'm hungover as shit. 

Figured it was just a typo.  Mentioned it cuz it confused me enough at first that I looked up their season average.

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

Figured it was just a typo.  Mentioned it cuz it confused me enough at first that I looked up their season average.

Still a good job though. 

OKC looked pretty good in what I've managed to watch this morning.  I can't believe they have this good a team, while everyone is young, and still have about a billion 1st round picks over the coming years. 

Maybe James shouldn’t have pushed for trading for Westbrook. Or their GM for giving in to that or letting their good role players like Caruso or KCP walk. Plenty of blame to go around there but the James formula has always been surround them with 3 and D players. Problem is they seemed to have forgotten the D aspect with their current crew.

16 hours ago, Arakasi said:

Maybe James shouldn’t have pushed for trading for Westbrook. Or their GM for giving in to that or letting their good role players like Caruso or KCP walk. Plenty of blame to go around there but the James formula has always been surround them with 3 and D players. Problem is they seemed to have forgotten the D aspect with their current crew.

Maybe GMs should try to figure out when will the time come to stop building a team around LeBron, or if that time has already come. Not trying to take anything away from LeBron, he's a great player and has had much success in his career so far, but he is turning 40 at the end of this year and his team has been swept in the playoffs last season and is on its way to repeat that this season. I know he has great stats both in the regular season and in the playoffs, but is that worth him trying to run the team, push for trading for this player and that, especially when that doesn't translate to post-season success like it hasn't last year and it looks like it won't this season either (there's still chance Lakers knock Nuggets out and carry on to win the ring, but it would be the biggest shock in recent years).

It will be interesting to see at which point GMs would say "ok, he gets me X points, Y rebounds, Z assists, but he costs me W million per season that I might put to better use elsewhere".

3 hours ago, baxus said:

Maybe GMs should try to figure out when will the time come to stop building a team around LeBron, or if that time has already come. Not trying to take anything away from LeBron, he's a great player and has had much success in his career so far, but he is turning 40 at the end of this year and his team has been swept in the playoffs last season and is on its way to repeat that this season. I know he has great stats both in the regular season and in the playoffs, but is that worth him trying to run the team, push for trading for this player and that, especially when that doesn't translate to post-season success like it hasn't last year and it looks like it won't this season either (there's still chance Lakers knock Nuggets out and carry on to win the ring, but it would be the biggest shock in recent years).

It will be interesting to see at which point GMs would say "ok, he gets me X points, Y rebounds, Z assists, but he costs me W million per season that I might put to better use elsewhere".

He made the conference finals last year and won two seasons before that. It's not that long ago. He's still good enough to at least be the second star on the team. He needs help. You just can't expect him to put the team on his back anymore. Maybe for a game or two, but not for a series. 

Anyway, GMs won't let go of a productive player. There aren't star players available in free agency anymore. They might have cap space to spend, but there isn't anyone to get most of the time. It's going to take draft picks or players. 

Yeah James is still a top ten player league wide. Sure he’s old and all but he’s not the problem with that team. Even costing fifty million you’re not getting a player who can match the production he brings. The problem with this series is that while James and Davis have matched Jokic and Murray the rest of the team has gotten destroyed by Denver’s secondary players. 

Edited by Arakasi

3 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

He made the conference finals last year and won two seasons before that. It's not that long ago. He's still good enough to at least be the second star on the team. He needs help. You just can't expect him to put the team on his back anymore. Maybe for a game or two, but not for a series. 

Anyway, GMs won't let go of a productive player. There aren't star players available in free agency anymore. They might have cap space to spend, but there isn't anyone to get most of the time. It's going to take draft picks or players. 

How much more help does he need? Who was the last player he wanted to get on his team that GMs didn't bend over backwards to get?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bash LeBron's legacy in the league. He IS the best scorer in NBA history, one of a kind, no doubt about his quality. But if we're bringing up that he's won the ring 4 years ago and that's not that long ago, that's a pretty clear indication he's not at the top of his game anymore. Not being at the top of his game and STILL producing these numbers is the best testament to his quality but the decline has begun.

Well, the Magic have come roaring back and dominated at home.  Still don’t think they’ll win the series, but great to see for the future as opposed to folding.  This team has heart!

Sure the decline has begun but he’s still a top ten player who took his team to the conference finals just last year. When we look at players like Beal and Lillard and what they were traded for and he’s an infinitely better player than them it’s really no contest. Yes he’s old he’s not going to get any four year contract anymore but 1-2 years I have no doubt he can be a top 20 player for another two years.

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Can LeBron walk away this year and sign with someone for another ring attempt? Being the man gets him less than a 5th ring (though won't do anything for his ring chaser rep). 

Yep.  It’s a player option for next year.  Thing is, where is he going to go and who can afford him, and who would want to when he turns 40 in December?