Has GRRM ever addressed the notion of time zones?

Assuming that Westeros is the size of South America, I would assume that there's got to be at least two different time zones at work.

Then again, I don't know how Planetos works in relation to our world. Has GRRM ever shed light on that?

Edited by Floki of the Ironborn

38 minutes ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

Assuming that Westeros is the size of South America, I would assume that there's got to be at least two different timezones at work.

Then again, I don't know how Planetos works in relation to our world. Has GRRM ever shed light on that?

The real world didn't get time zones until well into the 1800s.  Before that, nothing, including information, moved fast enough for it to matter.  Railroads changed that.

Same thing with Planetos.  Timekeeping isn't precise enough and things don't move fast enough for it to matter.

Interesting. With the fantasy element in play, we can't rule out anything. There are the glass candles and the Red Rahloo thingies, Euron godknowswwhat and that freak Maester from the Citadel and the FM, Quaithe, Beyond the Wall unexplicables etc. 

If he writes sth like a character sensing the death of another somehow at the instance of occurrence, half a continent away, let's look out for any indication of time at their respective locations. That's just one of the many possibilities from the fantasy aspect I could think of

14 hours ago, Nevets said:

The real world didn't get time zones until well into the 1800s.  Before that, nothing, including information, moved fast enough for it to matter.  Railroads changed that.

Same thing with Planetos.  Timekeeping isn't precise enough and things don't move fast enough for it to matter.

Fair enough, call me naive then. I guess I just assumed that the concept of time zones existed before we defined it. And yeah, fair play, it doesn't really change the story. 

2 hours ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

Fair enough, call me naive then. I guess I just assumed that the concept of time zones existed before we defined it. And yeah, fair play, it doesn't really change the story. 

nonono, thank you for posting, you just gave fun idea

He'd detailed, but not that detailed!

Anyway, it would not affect anything. Its not like they have the internet, planes and international stock markets.

I don't know fast birds fly and for how long but .... no

Edited by Castellan