Thank God for Jim Butcher

Crazydog7

I'm reckoning (and hoping :))we'll see Harry calling on the whole crew with this one. The Carpenters, Sanya, McCoy, Thomas and Lara Raith, Murphy, Ivy and Kinkaid, maybe even the Faerie Queens. I reckon it's what most men in his position would do.

I'm not sure how many of them will be there for him though. I reckon Michael and Molly Carpenter, and Murphy are there for sure.

Tormund,

I don't think Michael will be going. He doesn't have the sword anymore and he's dealing with rather severe injuries even if he's somewhat recovered.

I wouldn't count him out just yet. In the short story Butcher had in the "Mean Streets" collection,

Michael goes to town on a dude with a baseball bat.

Guest Other-in-Law

What gets me about Butcher is that he'll come up with something annoying, some figure of speech or description, and realising that it must piss me off, he just won't let go. "Shrug one shoulder"? What? everyone has that mannerism? Nobody ever shrugs both shoulders like a normal person? "As tall as some Paris Cathedrals". How many cathedrals does he think are in Paris, anyway? And does he imagine Orthodox and Eastern rite cathedrals in Paris are in the same high gothic style as Notre Dame? Gnnr!

Anyone think Harry might call upon Ivy to help recover his

daughter

He did help rescue her from the Denarians. She might be willing.

He might, but I think her neutrality might get in the way. I'm counting on Murphy, Molly, and Thomas's family instincts, though Thomas might be out for another book or two. Beyond that, who knows.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright the book doesn't release until 4/6. How did you two get it early?

Bookshops often put stuff out early if it isn't like JK Rowling (and associated lawyers) or whatever. I got Abercrombie's Last Argument of Kings nearly a week early in my Waterstones. Unfortunately I'm not flying home till the 1st so the earliest I'll get changes will be the second :(

I'm seeing quite a few people from the UK or Canada claim to have it already or to have received dispatch confirmation. Seems to me like the publishers simply shipped it early and, like Poobah said, the sellers didn't fancy wasting that warehouse space.

Archived