Thank God for Jim Butcher

Crazydog7

Ooh! Ooh! Book 13 title:

Ghost Story. Apparently Jim originally wanted it to be Dead. So, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that Harry is most likely really dead, and will find a way back. And although resurrection is a pretty cheap storytelling device, the whys and hows of Harry coming back might provide for an interesting book.

Link to this source? Sounds like it would be a cool idea.

I still wouldn't want it to allow him to get out of being the Winter Knight. Which actually didn't sound so bad. The way Toot Toot spoke of it, "having adventures" and such, made it seem like it wasn't going to be all doom and gloom. Also, the former Summer Knight Ronald Reuel seemed to have enjoyed his job. Granted, that's the Summer Court, but perhaps the Winter Court isn't ALL bad. Still wondering about what happened with Lea and why she was punished.

Really good tale. I tore through it in a day as did many others I see. So pleased that Butcher is so prolific.

I genuinely like the way that everything is fairly logical and you can have a stab at predicting the next novel, while never quite getting it. There's always a twist but an internally consistent twist.

What I want to know is who has been taking shots at Harry. I don't believe that it's a get out of WinterKnight free clause as I think much of what Butcher deals with is dealing with the consequences of your actions.

What I'm also pleased at is there is going to be a good reason to buy the short story collection. I was kinda cross that I'd gone to the expense of collecting most if not all (I think all) of the Dresden stories in other anthologies that I had no real interest in only for them to come in one handy book. Now at least I'm getting some payback.

Man I really enjoyed this book. I've just got to point out though, that even though the mythology geek in me loved part in Oslo, there just isn't any building in Oslo that could even remotely serve as the building he visits.

It's not something that annoyed me or anything, I just thought it was amusing. Especially all the sub levels.

Well, apparently his Chicago bears scant resemblance to the actual one either, so Oslo isn't alone.

Should we start a spoiler thread for "Changes"? Anyway, I liked it, could have been a little more gritty (yes, I know), but lives up to the title indeed.

Kind of sad that Eb only went so far for young Harry because Harry was family. They really need to come up with something more effective for identifying poor kids who come into their talents, before they unwittingly misuse them and get the chop. Also, seems shady that Eb abandoned Harry to institutions and Justin Du Morne. A retcon?

BTW, I thought that paranormal talents were inherited in the female line? We don't know anything about Harry's grandmother of course, but does it mean that little Maggie will be mundane? IIRC, Susan had supernatural leanings...

I assume that Molly will now be on her own - she seemed ready to make her own way anyway and it felt to me that Harry was keeping her on out of over-protectiveness. I am curious how she employs her talents - in truth hers are much more suitable for being a real PI than Harry's...

An awful tease re: Murphy and Fidellachius - this is becoming annoying! Let her pick it up for good, finally, after all the books flirting with the idea ! I liked how she could lay a real hurt on supernatural butt, at last, and then meh... Maybe Harry's "death" will be the last straw.

Oh, and this "mundanes are oblivious, no matter how blatant the supernatural destruction" schtick? Is getting really old and "idiot plot"tish. Seriously, I hope that it gets dropped soon.

We'll see what happens with Harry. Personally, I think that he'll be only figuratively dead/ghost. No resurrections, hopefully. And also, I'd like the Winter Knight thing to have real cost, rather than be a momentary inconvenience. Harry has gotten far too powerful, otherwise. I think that voice in the end was Mab and that she was taking Harry into her service for real.

• 3 weeks later...

Plot synopsis for book 13, Ghost Story:

Harry Dresden has forgotten his own golden rule. Magic - it can get a guy killed. This didn’t help when he clashed with parties unknown, with his murder in mind. And though Harry’s continued existence is in some doubt, this doesn’t mean rest or peace lie in store for Chicago's resident professional wizard. Trapped in a realm that is not quite here, yet not quite anywhere else, Harry learns that three of his loved ones are destined for crippling torment unless he can do something. Only by discovering his assailant’s identity can he save his friends, bring criminal elements to justice, and move on before he becomes trapped in his own unending nightmare.

It would be easier if he knew which three friends were in danger. And had a (working) crystal ball. And had access to his magic. Instead, he must accomplish the task unable to interact with the physical world, invisible and inaudible to all but the most specialized magical talents. He is also from the only silent presence roaming Chicago's alleys. Heck, he put some of them there himself. Now, they're looking for payback.

http://www.littlebrown.co.uk/Title/9781841497617

Plot synopsis for book 13, Ghost Story:

Harry Dresden has forgotten his own golden rule. Magic - it can get a guy killed. This didn’t help when he clashed with parties unknown, with his murder in mind. And though Harry’s continued existence is in some doubt, this doesn’t mean rest or peace lie in store for Chicago's resident professional wizard. Trapped in a realm that is not quite here, yet not quite anywhere else, Harry learns that three of his loved ones are destined for crippling torment unless he can do something. Only by discovering his assailant’s identity can he save his friends, bring criminal elements to justice, and move on before he becomes trapped in his own unending nightmare.

It would be easier if he knew which three friends were in danger. And had a (working) crystal ball. And had access to his magic. Instead, he must accomplish the task unable to interact with the physical world, invisible and inaudible to all but the most specialized magical talents. He is also from the only silent presence roaming Chicago's alleys. Heck, he put some of them there himself. Now, they're looking for payback.

http://www.littlebrown.co.uk/Title/9781841497617

Bleh. That sounds like such a filler book. Seems more like something that should have be handled by one of his short stories. Sounds less interesting to me in it's totality then the first line of Changes.

Ah well, heres to being proven dead wrong, and eating crow. May there be much crow. Perhaps I am just bitter about having to wait two years to see how Dresden puts his life back together.

Read the first one of these on the recommendation of, weirdly enough, TheKassi (long time ago on a different forum - Cramp here). Don't really like it and still don't get what the fuss is all about.

Your name is Snobby Cat. With that:

Hiya Snobby Cat! Reason's light is back if you have interest.

And long story short, Butcher grows as an author. His first books were not even released in hard cover. Now he hits number one on the best sellers list.

• 2 weeks later...

Just discovered this series, because Netflix recommended the TV series to me for watching instantly. Since the other recent recommendations at 4+ stars had been entertaining, I figured I'd try an episode. If I'd known it was from the SciFi channel, I probably would have skipped it, but it was pretty enjoyable more often than stupid. Since it mentioned Jim Butcher's books on the credits, I checked the first one out of the library and found it MUCH better than the TV episode taken from it, so I'll see if they maintain my interest.

My wife asked me what kind of stories they were and I said it reminded me of Brust's Taltos books forcibly married to Pratchett's witches books and set mostly in the real world. :)

Just discovered this series, because Netflix recommended the TV series to me for watching instantly. Since the other recent recommendations at 4+ stars had been entertaining, I figured I'd try an episode. If I'd known it was from the SciFi channel, I probably would have skipped it, but it was pretty enjoyable more often than stupid. Since it mentioned Jim Butcher's books on the credits, I checked the first one out of the library and found it MUCH better than the TV episode taken from it, so I'll see if they maintain my interest.

My wife asked me what kind of stories they were and I said it reminded me of Brust's Taltos books forcibly married to Pratchett's witches books and set mostly in the real world. :)

Bingo!

The books are way more entertaining than the tv show. The books try to be stand-alones though as you get further into them they morph into a series. Plus, they get better as they go. Enjoy!

• 1 month later...

Your name is Snobby Cat. With that:

Hiya Snobby Cat! Reason's light is back if you have interest.

And long story short, Butcher grows as an author. His first books were not even released in hard cover. Now he hits number one on the best sellers list.

This is the first instance I've noticed where an author starts out in MMP and then 7 or 8 books later, they reprint the first book in hardcover. All my Dresden files books are now hardcover.

This is the first instance I've noticed where an author starts out in MMP and then 7 or 8 books later, the reprint the first book in hardcover. All my Dresden files are now hardcover.

Mine are too now! My Butcher shelf just looks awesome. :D

Ser Scot, may I ask which minor character you're talking about? I haven't read that particular story myself yet.

Archived