Thank God for Jim Butcher

Crazydog7

I just finished the latest "Dresden Files" short story. "Even Hand" from Dark and Stormy Knights. It's told from Gentleman John Marcone's perspective. It's interesting. A lot of suprising information about one minor character in particular.

Would you mind PMing me what happens? Marcone is one of my favourite characters but the whole "dresden files short stories" thing is the only thing that kinda vexes me about the Dresden Files, where I'm otherwise a massive fan.

Mostly these anthologies don't make it into UK book shops anyway since they seem to be an American thing, and in general I'm not a fan of shipping them from Amazon or whatever just to get one story anyway. The only one I bought so far was Mean Streets for "The Warrior" which I really liked but I was rather unimpressed by most of the other shorts in there so I'm hardly keen to buy yet more anthologies.

I know there's a 'Side Jobs' book coming out containing most of the short stories so far (Haleuja!) but I'm pretty certain that it's been said this one won't be in it anyway.

Hendricks. He's not quite the moose brain Dresden thinks he is.

Ah, thanks! I considered buying the anthology it's in, but I figure if Butcher keeps writing short stories like he has been he'll probably end up with another Side Jobs so I'll wait.

I believe Butcher did mention that he was planning to do another anthology after Side Jobs for the other short stories (plus some unwritten ones). You will just have to wait a bit longer for that one if you're not going to get "Dark and Stormy Knights."

You mean I forgot to comment the last time around?

Yeah Changes was very good not as good as my favorite "Proven Guilty"

Odd. So if the Red Court has been demolished and the Black is out of the picture for all intents and purposes who is next? The White Court? And who are these Jade Court guys we heard about a couple of books ago?

Odd. So if the Red Court has been demolished and the Black is out of the picture for all intents and purposes who is next? The White Court? And who are these Jade Court guys we heard about a couple of books ago?

There'll be more focus on the Faerie courts I'd imagine what with the developments in Changes there and probably more direct involvement of the Black Council and the overall arc plot the series is aiming for, considering that we're into the second half.

• 2 weeks later...

Spoilers for the series and a recent movie follow below

I saw the Disney pic "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" last weekend and they completely ripped off Harry Dresden (Dead Beat in particular). First of all this is Nick Cage's costume for the movie. Then we have a wizard sorcerer living in a a ratty place in Chicago New York City, who has to stop the disciples of Kemmler Morgan La Faye from performing the Darkhallow Rising and resurrecting a bunch of dead people and becoming some sort of demi god and destroying the world.

I saw the Disney pic "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" last weekend and they completely ripped off Harry Dresden (Dead Beat in particular). First of all this is Nick Cage's costume for the movie. Then we have a wizard sorcerer living in a a ratty place in Chicago New York City, who has to stop the disciples of Kemmler Morgan La Faye from performing the Darkhallow Rising and resurrecting a bunch of dead people and becoming some sort of demi god and destroying the world.

That's not exactly an original premise in the first place... Dr. Strange has been doing it since the 60's.

Nick Cage is a huge dresden fan, and helped produce the tv show, so he might have taken some inspiration from the books... who knows. Everyone steals everything in Hollywood

Nick Cage is a huge dresden fan, and helped produce the tv show, so he might have taken some inspiration from the books... who knows. Everyone steals everything in Hollywood

He's also a huge comic-book fan.

And it's not as if there's not even a group of DC universe magicians known as "The trenchcoat brigade" :P So Butcher didn't exactly invent that either.

I think "ripping off Butcher" is kind of on the same level as Blizzard ripping off Games Workshop... Yes, but then again, they're gleefully ripping off other people too :P

He's also a huge comic-book fan.

And it's not as if there's not even a group of DC universe magicians known as "The trenchcoat brigade" :P So Butcher didn't exactly invent that either.

I think "ripping off Butcher" is kind of on the same level as Blizzard ripping off Games Workshop... Yes, but then again, they're gleefully ripping off other people too :P

At least GW had the good class to rip from multiple sources. :P

• 2 months later...

So... has anyone picked up Side Jobs yet? I saw it in the bookstore as I was buying the latest Wheel of Time and wondered if it was any good?

I think I've read one or two of Butcher's short stories. Pretty fun, like the books.

I read it. I've read a few of the short stories before, but there are some I haven't read, and a new one that takes place at the end of "Changes". It's cool for the fact that you get to read from the perspective of Thomas and Murphy, and more info is revealed about other side characters like Billy Borden and Ms. Gard (whose actual identity is revealed).

• 2 months later...

Got Side Jobs for Christmas and just finished it. Good read. Some fun Dresden stories and I liked the focus on some of the other characters.

And Murphy making out with a maenad? Nice...

Probably my favorite was the story about Michael.

In the last story, I was hoping for a bit more a hint as to what happened to Harry or a little more from Murphy on what it felt like to wield one of the Swords. Still a good one though.

Anyway, fun stuff. Although it did make me think of a drinking game while reading Dresden books:

Any time Harry Dresden is described as very tall, having a "runner's build" or the like...take a shot

Any time Karrin Murphy is described as five foot "nothing", short, blond, with a cute nose, etc...take a shot

Any time any character's physical musculature is used to convey whether they're good or bad...take a shot.

You will be schwasted in short order.

Any time any character's physical musculature is used to convey whether they're good or bad...take a shot.

I'm pretty sure everyone in the Dresdenverse, good or bad, is pretty fit. The Alphas, anyone from the White Court and the non-insect face of the Red Court, the Sidhe, at least a couple Denarians...

How about: Any time Thomas is described with gray eyes and pale skin.

I'm pretty sure everyone in the Dresdenverse, good or bad, is pretty fit. The Alphas, anyone from the White Court and the non-insect face of the Red Court, the Sidhe, at least a couple Denarians...

How about: Any time Thomas is described with gray eyes and pale skin.

Maybe Carmichael was a bit out of shape.

Of course he got killed off...

Archived