Footie footie footie with the feet

Mme Erzulie

Wow...

Real Madrid have announced all in a sudden two new signings:

Gabriel Heinze (totally unexpected! too bad he is shite) and Arjen Robben.

So this years new players are: Heinze, Robben, Saviola, Sneijder, Drenthe, Pepe, Dudek and Metzelder. Some solid names there, none exceptioanl but I think we have a balanced squad... let's just give some time to Schuster and the lads to come to know each other, and let's hope it works out.

And 2 departures:

Cicinho to Roma and Emerson to Milan. Not very convinced about the former, I think he is a terrific player. Can't care less for the latter: awful signing, but Capello's lieutenant.

Loras

I'd say Robben and Sneijder are exceptional players. When in form these could be superb players for Madrid. Then again they might just whither away there as so many " stars" seem to do. It would be nice to see Madrid play attractive football again.

Anyway, abut last night, we lost to Switzerland in another weak match with few chances. Another superb entry in van Basten's utterly boring run. First he still had the excuse where he could say " well at least we are getting results". Except of course he didn't when it mattered, in WC 2006. But now even that is gone. You'd even start to hope we lose against Bulgaria and Roumania.

I don't know if it's van Basten who's just so bad or the players, or both. I mean these guys do well enough for their clubs but never for the Dutch team. Never. Since van Baten started two years ago we haven't seen a single good match for the Dutch. The idea was dominant football and even the matches we win are often scroungy little victories. Bah.

It would be cruel to laugh at England.

But :lol: anyway. :P

Loras, I think you're underrating Heinze a bit. OTOH, he's maybe not up to the standard you're used to when it comes to South American full-backs. ;)

I think both England and Holland suffer from the exact same problems.

1) Utterly incompetent coaches who play their players everywhere except where they are supposed to play. The motto seems to be to play them anywhere but on the places where they perform for their clubs.

2) Unmotivated players who come across as talentless hacks whenever they play for their national side.

I refuse to believe this is all a coaching problem. I see Dutch players play well for their foreighn clubs and they do jack shit for the national side. Guys like Seedorf, Sneijder, Robben, van Persie, van Nistelrooy. Why can van Nist score 20 a year in the Uk and Spain but rarely for us?

As for England, I still find it hard to swallow that he will not play Gerrard, who is England's no. 1 player even if Rooney were fit.

The Germans played with a b-side). I saw no Ballack, no Klose, no Podolski, and they still lost.

I was annoyed mostly by Owen. I think he is the most overrated player in England. But still the BBC commentators and pundits hold a hand over his head. I mean, they nearly tripped over each other in tryinbg to find an excuse for Owen when at 1-2 down, Lehmann made another failure and OWEN MISSED IN FRONT OF OPEN GOAL!

" Oh a fit Owen would have taken that one " . " Oh I'd love to see Owen fit and sharp again". " Oh but that ball came as a surprise to him, he couldn't have expected it"

AAARGGGGH. Stop apologizing for the man!

Michael Owen is England's Ronaldo, without the weight. He's a terrible striker and nothing shows the poverty of the English squad more than a striker who hasn't played a decent match in 5 years, just comes off a long injury spell, and immediately plays for the national side. That he sucked yet again surprised no one, but no one doubts he will play again next match.

Why bring in SWP on the left when he shows his skill week in week out on the right with Chelsea. Incomprehensible. Robinson is an average goalie but David James is a bungling fool as well. Beckham's last decent match for England was...........I honestly can't recall.

To be fair, Gerrard wasn't available last night. But yeah, he's usually the fall guy - when available he often gets played out of position to accommodate Lampard, arguably the epitome of the player who performs for his club but not his country.

Owen - well, to paraphrase George Best speaking about another England player, 'cannot kick with his left foot, can't head the ball, can't tackle, apart from that he's all right'. All he contributes is goals, and he was always over-reliant on his pace to get those. After his injuries it seems to have gone.

Owen - well, to paraphrase George Best speaking about another England player, 'cannot kick with his left foot, can't head the ball, can't tackle, apart from that he's all right'.

Wasn't that quote from George Grahamn about Tony Adams, or am I getting that mixed up with a similar one.

just watched the review of all yesterday's qualification and friendly matches:

-i really dont want to pick on youy guys, but england seems as if they want to lose.simply they cannot live in harmony and happiness. it doesnt match with the weather i guess. they want the drama and the "oh my god! owen is injured and beckam is depressed ! what are we gonna do?!"

and by the way that german goal was one hell of a shot

-portugal was hilarius too. C. Ronaldo had to dance the whole armenian defence to score a goal that could be done with a simple pass. and yet they couldnt score one more. i like portuguese people, they screw up but never seem to blame anyone but themselves. healthy mentality

-that guy david healy from northern ireland ! where does he play? nevermind, i ll look around but he seems a very good player

-norway seemed very strong and compact team. as its our next opponent i could even be scared a little. but i dont care that much if we qualify or not

- scotland was fuckin excellent :D

ps. question : has robbie keane stop tumbling around in his celebration? why? you can't trust anybody these days...

-that guy david healy from northern ireland ! where does he play? nevermind, i ll look around but he seems a very good player

He plays for Fulham. He almost makes me want to support the North.... a bit anyway :P

ps. question : has robbie keane stop tumbling around in his celebration? why? you can't trust anybody these days...

I'm not entirely sure. I've seen him score a few times lately and not do it, so maybe he has.

Shame. I always really liked it and the hand movements afterwards :D

Damned Fox Soccer Channel is showing the Arsenal-Man City game instead of the Chelsea-Portsmouth match, so I may end up doing dodgy computer things to see it on Saturday. I'd complain further, but I thought about it objectively, and I don't really think anyone wants to see Portsmouth.

What's the opinion on Julliano Belletti from Barca? Is he a suitable right back, considering the Blues aren't likely going to get Alves now?

God, fucking dire match out of the Galaxy tonight, losing 3-0 to Chivas USA. The team has a discombobulated defense, and little attacking style to speak of.

I'm surprised that Chelsea bought Belletti. I always considered him the weak link in Barca's back four whenever he played (though Gio VB aint much of a defender). Johnson and Paulo Ferreira (sp?) are both average so everyone expected Chelsea to pick up another right back. With all the media speculation over Alves, this will seem a disapointment to Chelsea fans IMO. Belletti isn't that good.

Arsenal V City does look a better game on paper, but Chelsea are playing (relatively) good football atm and Portsmouth are usually good for goals at both ends.

Everytime I see Pompey on TV I'm reminded just how shite their ground is. I wish Southhampton were the South Coast representatives instead. Though Rupert Lowe is a bastard.

Archived