NFL Thread II

Ser Paladin

So, tell me again, why should Belichick show the slightest bit of respect to any member of the sports media?

I think it falls into the category of, "You gotta give respect to get respect". If he doesn't care about respect from that quarter, as he so clearly doesn't, then so be it. Good for him. If he doesn't care about it, then why can't his fans follow his example?

CB:

WOW!

Just... WOW! I forgot how arrogant and inflexible the local media here can be. Jesus Christ, I forgot that they hated the Logan Mankins pick! And your list didn;t even include the now infamous "They Hate Their Coach" foolishness from Tom Jackson.

Holy Hell, well done CB.

Here you go Roc, here are some more.

There's an alarming whiff of negativity surrounding your New England Patriots, defending Super Bowl champions despite last night's preseason-opening win over Philly, 24-6. Maybe Benjamin Watson knows something, and that's why the rookie first-round pick has stayed away. - Hector Longo, Eagle-Tribune, 8/14/2004

Belichick will not be so lucky. He doesn't have (Jimmy) Johnson's personality, which can be as jovial and charming as a snake oil salesman's. Worse, this Patriot team isn't going to win two Super Bowls any time soon... - Ron Borges, Boston Globe, 11/22/01

On a day when they could have had impact players David Terrell or Koren Robinson or the second-best tackle in the draft in Kenyatta Walker, they took Georgia defensive tackle Richard Seymour, who had 1 sacks last season in the pass-happy SEC and is too tall to play tackle at 6-6 and too slow to play defensive end. This genius move was followed by trading out of a spot where they could have gotten the last decent receiver in Robert Ferguson and settled for tackle Matt Light, who will not help any time soon. - Ron Borges, MSNBC after 2001 Draft.

Jackson said on his show, in the wake of Milloy's departure, that the Patriots "hate their coach."

Belichick's Patriots went on to win the Super Bowl in that season and the coach was interviewed post-game by Berman. Belichick had words for Jackson over the Milloy matter before the interview. [CB's Note: He said "Go Fuck yourself Tom"]

David Halberstam's recently published biography of Belichick, "The Education of a Coach," mentions how unforgiving Belichick can be when something or someone offends him.

"Belichick neither forgave nor forgot, and he could be very hard on other ESPN reporters, some of whom were equally appalled by Jackson's carelessness," Halberstam writes.

I swear, it call comes flooding back when you read this stuff. You forget how hostile it was in 2001 and how rediculous it was for no reason afterwards.

I cut Borges a lot of slack. For starters, he's a great writter; he also covered boxing in Boston which was always a good read. Finally, somebody HAD to play the contrarian for that time after the second Superbowl when, frankly, everyone was drinking the Kool-Aid. I think he wa a great writer and easily better than 90% of the hacks who write for the Herald (Borges wrote for the Globe).

Just last year there was an interview with Belichick and his family on HBO. It showed him with his two sons and daughter. Also some sideline stuff. His sons help out at times on the sidelines. One is around 18, the other 15.

Transcript

Hey no one said said hate was a rational emotion, but if Shawn Merriman can show a little love after the Sunday night game (they met at the pro bowl) then maybe the press can fuck off. I also heard Curtis Martin talk some love on NFL network today. :dunno:

OK, this week we got us some games and some storylines.

Jets-Dolphins: Up and coming vs. old and creaky QBs.

Redskins-Giants: At least one NY football team has a chance to win in the first three weeks. Skins start 3-0, finish 4-12, re-ending Joe Gibbs career.

Chiefs-Vikings: Larry Johnson wants to know why he is facing 4 run-stuffing offenses in the first five weeks.

Titans-Saints: Home opener enough to flip the switch? If not, write 'em off.

Rams-Buccaneers: Who predicted 3-0 for Tampa?

Niners-Steelers: Cowher Power? Who needs it, we can pass now.

Jaguars-Broncos: Will the real Broncos D please stand up? Jags can't pass anyway, forget it.

Cowboys-Bears: Boys' movable pass D meets Rex's stoppable passing game. Other side of the ball should be quite the matchup though.

Lions-Eagles: The nightmare officially begins if we lose this one.

Cards-Ravens: Ravens passing D not all that. But Edge goes nowhere. As do the Ravens under Boller this week.

Colts-Texans: Texans ready for big boy pants? No.

Chargers-Packers: Brett, meet Mr. Merriman. Favre heard to complain "hey, these guys are playing defense, that's not in my 2007 contract."

Browns-Raiders: Neither one will be in a position to need Brian Brohm next year. A tie so the Falcons can get him?

Panthers-Falcons: ok, don't care at all here.

Bengals-Seahawks: Bangals looked bad on the road last week, but Hawks overrated.

Oh god, there's more? Poor Buffalo. sacrificed to the Pats. Not even a contest.

Andre Johnson is going to be next year's Steve Smith. This is especially true on Houston, where they have no one else that is remotely a weapon. He's going to be like the Barry Sanders of wide receivers.

Yeah the Broncos have the Jags no prob. In fact I'd say this is the game where Jay Cutler and Henry start finding the endzone--so not only will Denver lead in yardage but their going to start dominating in points too. Once that happens I don't see many teams rivaling their output. Maybe the Colts--Peyton is always a point machine and he's playing on a great team.

Archived