Goodkind XXXVI. Moral pie with celery sauce

Gabriele

[quote name='Moosicus' post='1340353' date='May 2 2008, 21.10']This is the end. Beautiful friend. This is the end. My only friend, the end. Of our elaborate plans, the end.[/quote]
Our elaborate plans will never end, you pinko commie death chooser! Where have you been, anyway? No doubt off choosing death! What this thread needs is a strong shot of Mad Moose right up the ass! This is your chance to shine Moosey, your chance to choose life. Don't let me down. I suggest a drunken diatribe of some sort. PM me and maybe we can come up with a plan to get this thing rolling.

Hmm, let's see....did I mention I had a sit down with Tairy?

My Interview with Tairy Goodkind

MM: I would like to ask you about Richard.

TG: I would love to talk about Richard, he is my vision of ideal humanity.

MM: And coiled fury?

TG: It’s not simply about being coiled fury, but being able to uncoil.

MM: Upon unarmed hippies?

TG: Of course. Once you side with the enemies of freedom you choose death. And Richard is there to render unto people what they deserve.

MM: Because that’s what Zedd taught him?

TG: Exactly. Richard, despite his backwoods type of upbringing, was in essence raised by the First Wizard himself. I intended to explain that early on, but there was no space for any real background on characters, and ultimately it’s irrelevant.

MM: Which is why Richard understands algebra and other complex ideas, despite how much the notion clashes with everything the reader has come to expect.

TG: Quite right. I expect the intelligent reader to figure certain things out for himself. I shouldn’t need to spoon-feed everything to him. If other authors wish to spend page after page working on the details of characters and the world they inhabit, “fleshing it out” as it were, then it’s their time to waste. I have more important things to be doing than making my stories “real”.

MM: There is of course a message.

TG: If there is no message then there is no real novel. A novel is the medium through which a message is transmitted, and the message should be about important human themes, like I do.

MM: These themes being?

TG: Like you need to ask? You’ve read my books. The important human themes are there to be seen by anybody with the intelligence to see them. Faith of the Fallen is the perfect example of the nobility of the human spirit. If you can’t see that then you may be too young or stupid to read my books.

MM: Inspiring, no doubt. But let’s go back a bit. You’ve had your problems with publishers.

TG: Yes I have. They tend to be very narrow minded and think only of the bottom line. They want to make money and don’t realize that I don’t care at all about money. Sure, I constantly buy foreign sports cars, and if I don’t get the service I want then I trade them in for even more expensive American sports cars. But it’s not about money. It’s about the message.

MM: And that is….

TG: That the individual can make a profound difference in his world.

MM: Which Richard does by killing anyone who disagrees with him.

TG: Of course! How else are you to deal with those who reject honor, and nobility, and freedom?

MM: I don’t really know. Back to your publishers….

TG: Idiots. They paid through the nose to get me, and then they turned around and told me to “tone down the torture”, “How about a little less gang-rape”. They didn’t understand that this was necessary to demonstrate how evil Richard’s enemies were.

MM: But they had no background, really, upon which to base all the sadism. Just a mad sorcerer-king. Without a real background into the world, these leather clad Mord Sith seem to come out of nowhere. They were made to combat wizards, it seems, but there were only a few wizards around.

TG: Look, I don’t get into world building. The Mord Sith exist for a reason in my novels. They serve a purpose. You’re getting mixed up in how the history of my world should be, as if it is meaningful. The point is that profound evil exists and people of noble spirit must fight it.

MM: Richard, you mean.

TG: Yes, Richard is all that is good in mankind. He is all our hopes and dreams. He is what we all should aspire to be.

MM: Isn’t that asking a bit much?

TG: No, that’s the problem. The nobility of the human spirit resides in all of us, but most of us don’t know it.

MM: So…..should more of us slaughter hippies?

TG: They certainly deserve it.

MM: Unarmed peace protesters. I just want to be sure that we are talking about the same people.

TG: Yes, them. They are cowards who are siding with the enemy.

MM: Which enemy?

TG: All of them. Commies, terrorists, fascists….

MM: Would you say that wanting peace is the root of all evil?

TG: Of course I would. You should either fight, or die and get out of the way for those who will.

MM: Did you ever serve in the military?

TG: ………….

MM: In any capacity?

TG: …………………………..

MM: ………….

TG: I’m not sure how that’s relevant.

MM: Leaving that aside, let’s move back to Richard.

TG: Let’s.

MM: His relationship with Kahlan is interesting.

TG: She is an ideal woman. I love her as if she were real.

MM: Um, okay. But in her interactions with Richard, I find it interesting that she always seems to be subordinate to him in every way.

TG: Yes.

MM: She has a lifetime of experience as a leader of nations, and yet, as soon as Richard steps into the room she becomes a bit of an idiot, barely able to lace her own sandals.

TG: Naturally a woman’s place is beneath that of a man. History has demonstrated this consistently. Kahlan is, of course, the perfect woman. That being the case, though she is able to run an empire, by the time Richard comes along her empire is in ruin and it requires Richard to straighten it out.

MM: So, the government is limp…flaccid, if you will. But when Richard comes along it totally straightens out.

TG: It doesn’t just straighten out. It becomes hard, rigid, and ready for whatever comes it’s way.

Part two of my interview with Tairy Goodind at a later date.

I got Phantom for my birthday.
*shudder*
But then Moose was smart and funny(er than Enigma) and there was much rejoicing, causing people to look askance at the person laughing like he's fucked in the head.

[quote name='Moosicus' post='1340463' date='May 2 2008, 22.11']MM: So, the government is limp…flaccid, if you will. But when Richard comes along it totally straightens out.

TG: It doesn’t just straighten out. It becomes hard, rigid, and ready for whatever comes it’s way.[/quote]
Ahahaha! :lol:

Excellent job! :cheers:

On another topic, whats with this Koontz fellow, and why do his followers tend to be yeardites?

Brilliant piece of interviewing, Moose.

I could almost see you and Teary in a Larry Kingeske set. Maybe there's room for questions from viewers around the world?

[quote name='Exa Inova' post='1344012' date='May 6 2008, 05.01']Brilliant piece of interviewing, Moose.

I could almost see you and Teary in a Larry Kingeske set. Maybe there's room for questions from viewers around the world?[/quote]

Oh man, that would make for a great digitally created YouTube type video. Taking cuts of Larry King and then cuts of Tariy and creating a proper Larry King interview...would that I had that kind of ability... :P

I'm still caught up in the moral dilemma of whether or not to read "Confessor": I know it's crap (from multiple sources, not including these threads) and I know how it ends, but I still have a faint need to internalize the book and finally shit SoT out of my life like the tapeworm that it is. But I'd like some clarification before I make that plunge.

From what I understand:

Richard uses the SoT and Boxes O' Deus Ex Machina to create a separate world, leaving all of us commies with our own magic on it.

Am I wrong, or does the ending of the book advocate O'ists build their own country (or at least their own guarded compound), where they are protected from the predations of other peoples' world views? I mean, if the book is intended to be a guide for your life, doesn't it logically follow that Tairy followers should wall themselves in and leave the rest of us the fuck alone?

Clarification is appreciated...

I always figured that the end for the series would be something enlightening that his fans could live their lives by.
"Create a magical world for those you hate" is not realism. It's asylumism.

I like to show off my new avatar in this thread first.

My daughter loves to watch Nick jr. There is this show which I'm certain is a secret anti Yeardkind show. Its called wonder pets and features a [url="http://www.nickjr.com/shows/wond_parents/index.jhtml"]a lemming, a chicken that is not a chicken and a turtle[/url] that save animals with deeds of altruism.

[quote name='Triskele' post='1344416' date='May 6 2008, 11.01']Debate on the merits of Rand in the classroom found [url="http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=90104091"]here[/url].[/quote]

Interesting article.

So the guy with the money and the O'ist bent is thrusting money on institutions to teach this crap? It somehow seems...contrary...

If I heard they wanted to give money to my alma mater, I'd absolutely write a stern letter, though I don't know that the school would listen as I've not donated millions...though I'll assure them they'll never get any of my millions when I have them if they take the dirty money. Yeah.

[quote name='VinoTheChiantian' post='1344402' date='May 6 2008, 10.45']I'm still caught up in the moral dilemma of whether or not to read "Confessor": I know it's crap (from multiple sources, not including these threads) and I know how it ends, but I still have a faint need to internalize the book and finally shit SoT out of my life like the tapeworm that it is. But I'd like some clarification before I make that plunge.

From what I understand:

Richard uses the SoT and Boxes O' Deus Ex Machina to create a separate world, leaving all of us commies with our own magic on it.

Am I wrong, or does the ending of the book advocate O'ists build their own country (or at least their own guarded compound), where they are protected from the predations of other peoples' world views? I mean, if the book is intended to be a guide for your life, doesn't it logically follow that Tairy followers should wall themselves in and leave the rest of us the fuck alone?

Clarification is appreciated...[/quote]

Close.

In Atlas Shrugged, all the movers and shakers ran off to create their own little utopia. In Tairy's world though, might = right so it's the commies that have to go bye-bye. Dick sends all the commies off to their own magic (and afterlife) free world.

His entire argument is (gasp!) flawed and silly. He says "I gave them exactly what they wanted" but all these people believed they were worthless and would remain so until reunited with god. He destroyed that.

and Tairy says he doesn't believe in world building. Now we know why. It' much easier to just toss a friggin copy down than build one.

Because Dick doesn't owe anyone anything it was easier to make a duplicate world and speechify his intent and reasoning than to JUST speechify and explain his moral reasoning for the life he lives. He just became god and had total control over every facet of existence. He had the undivided attention of every person on the planet, you'd think he'd be able to convince them... but nah, much easier to tell people they're going to be punished.

Gosh, i dislike TG so.

[url="http://www.terrygoodkind.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3467"]Here's the latest[/url] from .net on the casting situation.

And just for fun, [url="http://www.terrygoodkind.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3473"]here's Tairy driving a race car.[/url]

[quote name='Myshkin' post='1346386' date='May 7 2008, 16.23'][url="http://www.terrygoodkind.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3467"]Here's the latest[/url] from .net on the casting situation.

And just for fun, [url="http://www.terrygoodkind.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3473"]here's Tairy driving a race car.[/url][/quote]

I was laughing like a maniac while watching the Goodkind racing video.

That racing video seemed pretty dull. He got in his car, and went around the track, and then in slow motion, and then again. And my high school physics teacher was a racecar driver. His sport is being polluted.

Archived