Footy Time!

Xray the Enforcer

[quote name='dajamieson' post='1366789' date='May 22 2008, 21.52']Well, that's been a thoroughly depressing week.

Anyone able to suggest a new sport to follow? Cross-country badger wrestling perhaps?[/quote]

It's not over yet. Go Queen of the South!

Football can really kick you in the end sometimes! Losing such a huge lead is...

[quote]What I don't get is why UEFA changed the mode in which teams progress through the tournament. Used to be, you could not meet the second team from your first round group again until the final.[/quote]
UEFA are morons. You face a team in the group stages, win a quarter final and have a very good chance of playing the same team again. Its just silly. Turkey and Brazil met in the semi-finals of WC2002 but at least there were 2 rounds between the group stages and the semis.

Daj, I tend to not pick favourites ( and blue shirts, for me is hard to root for them), but in this case, good luck guys. Horror trebles are awful awful things, hope you don´t have any either.

Saw bits of the Moscow celebrations, and must have done good for Russia´s future candidatures. It looked very glossy, very grand, music just right , lots of pomp. And the most confetti I have ever seen... girl thing probably, not sure if the aesthetical judment part of my brain really talking, probably the greed parts, but awwww the european cup is so so pretty... it has been so long...

Benfica´s new manager supposedly is Quique Flores. Benfica is doing a friendly tour of Angola, the president of Angola is a fan ( sócio also I think) and told reporters Benfica´s president told him there was a new manager and who during their private meeting, but not who. Today´s papers are saying Flores, hmm, dunno, unfair to project Camacho into a countryman of his, but still.. there were wild rumors of Zico.

Regarding Portugal´s camp, lots of portuguese brazillian bonding love lately, Brasil´s president sent a support message ( if Argentina supports Spain... and vice versa) and Roberto Leal ( zomg.. and not in a good way) as an honoured guest. And Pepe did the cutest thing, driving down 500 kms to arrive early to make an extra training session as a surprise.

Cristiano Ronaldo is officially now the winner of the golden boot.

and regarding tv ads, a very good ad from a portuguese sponsor [url="http://youtube.com/watch?v=5p7caexK6s4"]http://youtube.com/watch?v=5p7caexK6s4[/url] which makes me sort of mad. It´s brilliantly made emotional, but makes me want to yell. Everybody else seems to love it, but just makes me go hmpph. don´t you think those guys in the bus ( I am talking about Ricardo Quaresma, move and push instead of letting others push you) could come out and help? Plus the sponsor is a oil company, and the price of gas, bad bad associations. The spirit of the german ad with the players climbing mountains ( not that I spot that at first or even second. I don´t know their faces well enough to recognize them without the help of football jerseys as a hint) was much better IMO.

On a related note, what a masterful sports summer we have coming up. The Giro d' Italia is nearing it's final tense week full of mountain stages and ther are about 8 guys with equal chances of winning. This weekend Roland Garros starts, with the world's three best players ( Federer, Nadal and Djokovic) all in superb form. In two weeks time EURO 2008 starts, which is slowly getting me very excited indeed. Later on Wimbledon starts, and in August the Summer Olympics where I will be looking in particular to the men's sprinting events with human bullets like Powell and Bolt.

I am not much into sports. Other sports, I guess, it can be sort of fun to watch something and try to figure out the rules ( and eurosport can be relied upon to shock me at "what, that is a sport?!". honestly, when I think I am sophisticated there is always something unbelievable. Do not take my word about it, but I think they were showing card games as a sport the other day) but in the end, whatever, seems as silly as quiz shows or horrible soap operas. Football OTOH, different. And if I had a choice in the matter, I would not choose to care about football either. I do not personally recommend it nor do I have any evangelical tendencies about it, but it does get to me because of lots of things. Maybe it´s just that football got its hooks into me too early, somehow it´s different, the ridiculous drama and pain. When people ( ok, mostly americans, but not only) complain about it being low scoring, that is the whole point (well not defensiveness for its own sake, but the drama of goals really really mattering and one second changing everything). I read a scientific ( serious one actually) paper where they checked which sport had more predictable outcomes, not surprisingly football was the hardest to predict.. Plus it´s beautiful, very beautiful sometimes, but that is not enough you also need something extra, character is as close a word as I can get. And the most ridiculous fatelike dramatic things. Football bah.

Quique Flores is looking like a sure thing, and not sure if it was coincidence or not, but Cristiano Ronaldo and Nani arriving in Lisbon´s airport was right on time for the lunch time news direct transmissions ( Cristiano´s mother was sort of shepherding the two, Lol). Inquisitor, he was asked point blank about Real Madrid, and he said very quite naturally he has no deal with them. I believe him since he is a pretty bad actor, you should see when he tries to be modest or not pissed off about getting particular awards. You never know, things might come in the future, but just warning of what it seemed to me. BTW Kaká, did you forget about him? NOW is the time to court him, UEFA cup and Milan forbidding him to attend the olympics, go for him now.

[quote name='cteresa']and regarding tv ads, a very good ad from a portuguese sponsor[/quote]

I think the snow once they get to the Swiss mountains is particularly funny.

Did I mention that Jürgen Klopp has joined Dortmund? That's either going to go really well or it'll be over before the end of the year.

[quote name='Maltaran' post='1366801' date='May 22 2008, 21.55']It's not over yet. Go Queen of the South![/quote]
I second that!

[quote name='dajamieson' post='1366248' date='May 22 2008, 18.43']It's been less prevelent in recent years, but for a time under Souness and Smith's last spell at Rangers they had a very bad run of major signings who suffered serious injuries soon after signing for the club. The suspicion was always that, in their eagerness to sign players, Rangers were less than rigorous in their assesment of their fitness.[/quote]
Queen of the South might be able to make it a trio of silver medals for Rangers this year. If only Mark Kerr had booted the ball in the opposite direction then Rangers might end up with four. :(

[quote name='Hereward' post='1365457' date='May 22 2008, 12.29']Yes, they're desperate to cut the wages bill as they have the biggest first team squad in the Premiership with 40 players. But if you're going to cut that, why not ship out the useless, overpaid, permanently injured wankers such as Ljundberg, Dyer, Bellamy, Bowyer, Boa Morte, etc, etc.[/quote]

[url="http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/may/20/sahatowestham"]West Ham to offer 10m for Saha[/url]? And get Diouf?

They'll fit right in. :lol:

It used to be that Hull were the largest city in Europe to have never had a football team in their nation's top division. Research is now required to work out who now holds that title.

It is Quique Flores, was presented officially at lunch time. Opinions guys? Please tell me is good at tactics. It is unfair to associate, but Benfica managers having press conferences in spanish, bad dejá vu, plus like Camacho former Real Madrid player. Never had thought about it before, but he looks exactly like the native guys in Asterix in Corsica, I am never going to get that image out of my mind. The report demands he made seem quite sensible ( new central defender, defensive midfielder, striker). He wants to hire the assistant Benitez fired. I hope this works.

Archived