Footy Time!

Xray the Enforcer

I preferred Man U, but I'll always hate the penalty kick shootout as a decider. Why oh why FIFA? Surely theres another way?

Interesting to see what happens with Ronaldo, Ferguson, and Queiros

Anelka's penalty was horrendous. I haven't yet turned off 6-0-6 *ducks missiles* and the current caller just said he thought Anelka looked like he couldn't be bothered when he was stepping up to take it. I had the exact same impression.

[quote name='Jon AS' post='1364765' date='May 21 2008, 23.02']Almost fell asleep there towards the end of the second half.

How lucky was Chelsea's goal? And how stupid was Didier Drogba? And how badly taken was Ronaldo's penalty?[/quote]

Jesus Christ, the first thing they teach you with penalties is not to try and mess with the keeper - just run up and hit it as hard as you can. Thank God Terry missed.

[quote name='Eloisa']Anelka's penalty was horrendous. I haven't yet turned off 6-0-6 *ducks missiles* and the current caller just said he thought Anelka looked like he couldn't be bothered when he was stepping up to take it. I had the exact same impression.[/quote]

Of course, he has his CL winner's medal after all.;)

[quote name='The Inquisitor' post='1364730' date='May 21 2008, 22.44']Those were farewell tears by Cristiano Ronaldo...
:P[/quote]

It was funny how Gabriel Clarke kept repeatedly asking Ronaldo if he was staying, even after he already said flat out that he was. Before the game, after the game. I was just waiting for Clarke to say "Aha! That's a verbal contract! You can't go back on that!"

Wow, I kind of want to throw up. Very tense game, and I feel absolutely awful for Terry. Screw Anelka, though, he looked reluctant as hell before taking that.

Cannot believe Ronaldo went for that.

Also, I didn't think Chelsea's goal was that lucky, because they had a bunch of players forward. I thought it was a bad job by Malouda to stick it in there that way, and the bounce bailed him out, but if he'd played it correctly, it would've been a good chance or a goal anyway.

Dumb fucking move by Drogba, I couldn't even tell what started that whole stupid spat.

Ugh. Congratulations to Man U, you were a good team for the whole year (and played Chelsea even over the course of the game); cannot really say they were undeserving. Sickeningly thin difference between victory and defeat there, though.

ETA: Ack, Essien hit that ball, not Malouda. Oops.

[quote name='DVD ROTS']Also, I didn't think Chelsea's goal was that lucky[/quote]

Essien's shot bounced off two United players and ended up right in front of Lampard's feet. It's the very definition of a lucky goal.

[quote name='DVD ROTS']Dumb fucking move by Drogba, I couldn't even tell what started that whole stupid spat.[/quote]

Tevez' unsportsmanlike behaviour did, he was encouraging his teammates to put pressure on Chelsea for a throw in after the ball had been played out because of an injured player. Still an incredibly stupid thing to do.

[quote name='Jon AS' post='1365293' date='May 21 2008, 22.52']Essien's shot bounced off two United players and ended up right in front of Lampard's feet. It's the very definition of a lucky goal.

Tevez' unsportsmanlike behaviour did, he was encouraging his teammates to put pressure on Chelsea for a throw in after the ball had been played out because of an injured player. Still an incredibly stupid thing to do.[/quote]

Yeah, I didn't articulate that very well; it looked like the play was going to result in a prime chance or a goal, and then Essien fired it low and at a pair of defenders, so I more saw it as the play being salvaged. It was a lucky goal, what I meant to say was that it wasn't a flukey one; Chelsea earned the opportunity by having players forward with speed, and fortune kinda bore them out.

I must say that Tevez did not really have his finest showing, IMO, but then, neither did Ballack for Chelsea (or Malouda, but the less said about him, the better).

Archived