Goodkind XXXVIII: The Great Tomato Showdown

Myshkin

Actually, it was to mock those who misspell author names (and most everything else) - you know, the worst internet "fans" one could have, the near-illiterate ones ;)

[quote name='Dylanfanatic' post='1416957' date='Jun 26 2008, 15.44']Actually, it was to mock those who misspell author names (and most everything else) - you know, the worst internet "fans" one could have, the near-illiterate ones ;)[/quote]

Ah...the legend lives...

[quote name='Moosicus' post='1416874' date='Jun 26 2008, 16.59']But now I'm thinking that Tyria is a spy. :leaving:[/quote]

:lol: That sounds like waaaaay to much effort for one so lazy.

I imagine most TG fans would rather gouge their own eyes out with a rusty spork than equate the series with sucking on a big sweaty stinky arsehole like I did.

Thanks for the Tairy explanations. I had always wondered what Lemmings of Discord were too, but the .net thread cleared that one up for me!

So can I claim the "Opossums" label? I was trying to come up with some sort of bizarre animal comparison as a counterpoint to the Great and Noble Lemming.

[quote]The secret lies within the ponytail.[/quote]

No, it is only the beard, giving rise to a Yeard, wherein the secret truly lies.

[quote name='Aemon Stark' post='1417133' date='Jun 26 2008, 19.39']So can I claim the "Opossums" label? I was trying to come up with some sort of bizarre animal comparison as a counterpoint to the Great and Noble Lemming.[/quote]
Was that yours? Then yes. Well done Aemon. Have a ziploc baggie of bourbon, on us.

Well, straight from the horse's ass:

[quote]Terry Goodkind Moves to Putnam for Three-Book Deal
By Lynn Andriani -- Publishers Weekly, 6/26/2008 9:41:00 AM
After a long career with Tor, bestselling fantasy writer Terry Goodkind is moving to Putnam. Ivan Held, president of G. P. Putnam’s Sons, acquired U.S. hardcover and paperback rights in a joint venture with Berkley Books. Putnam will publish the novels—which will be mainstream fiction, not fantasy—in hardcover; Berkley will publish the paperbacks. The first book will pub in fall 2009. Susan Allison, v-p, executive editor at Berkley, will edit all three books, which are standalones and not part of a series. Over the past 15 years, Goodkind’s books have sold some 25 million copies worldwide. Most recently, he wrote the final installment in the Sword of Truth series, Confessor, which Tor published in November.

Held said Putnam will be able to get Goodkind’s books into a wider market than Tor did. The first of the three books “fits perfectly on Putnam’s list,” he said, describing it as having “huge mainstream appeal.” Goodkind’s literary agent, Russell Galen, said he and Goodkind examined a wide variety of publishing strategies for the new books, talking to Tor and many other publishers. “The presentation made to us by Putnam was the one that was the most confidence-inspiring, and so we made our deal there. We felt Putnam was best equipped to exploit the potential of these books,” and that Putnam will provide “the right foundation to launch [Goodkind] on an even bigger, bolder, more ambitious publishing adventure.”

The first book, yet to be titled, will be a contemporary thriller set in an American city. This fall, a television series based on Goodkind’s first book, Wizard’s First Rule—produced by Sam Raimi and syndicated by Disney’s ABC Television Domestic Syndication Division—will air.

[url="http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6573502.html"]http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6573502.html[/url][/quote]

Let the countdown begin...but in a way different from what the ass's asshole would expect ;)

And now, [url="http://www.terrygoodkind.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3572"]special words from Tairy[/url]:

[quote]June 26, 2008

Dear friends,

As you can see by the accompanying press release, I am no longer “unemployed!”
At a time like this, at reaching a goal of many years, I would most of all like to thank all of you, my faithful readers, for the vital role you have played in helping me realize a life-long dream. Putnam is a team of talented people at the very top level of publishing. To be chosen to partner with a publisher of their stature has long been my objective; I could never have reached that goal without the support of all of you. Your enthusiasm and appreciation of my work, your recommendations to friends and family, and your steadfast support and encouragement have been the single most important ingredient in my success. It is you, my readers, who have carried word of my stories far beyond the traditional genre audience to the wider world, to people of all walks of life and all ages, to the far corners of not just this country, but of the world.
I’m tremendously excited to at last have the opportunity to write stories set in this, our world, in the here and now. I’m sure that most of my readers understand the universal themes that characterize my writing. Those themes transcend genre. It has always been my desire to write contemporary novels and many of you have told me how eager you are for those kinds of stories. That time has come. I am confident that you will recognize my unique voice in the new books and that you will feel right at home. Except, perhaps, you may now be afraid to turn out the lights when you go to bed.
I have to add that it has been nothing but pure joy to write about Richard and Kahlan and all of the other characters we care so much about. There is no way I could be any more proud of the Sword of Truth series or of my readers the world over. My publisher, Tor, has always been a great partner and supporter. They will continue to be my publisher for these works.
As an author, it’s an energizing experience to have the chance to meet new challenges. It’s also tremendously exciting. My new publisher, who has read a large portion of the beginnings of the next books, is not just wildly enthusiastic about the books themselves, but how they will thrill all of you, my present readers, and bring in a new audience who have never before been exposed to my work.
I have made many friends through my stories. I find my readers for the most part to be intelligent, compassionate, involved, understanding people who are grateful to find stories that share their values. I only wish that I could get to know each and every one of you as well as I have come to know many of you. I hope that through the stories I’ve written you’ve come to know how much I care about life and about all of you. I hope too that you know that I never take my readers for granted and that I always do the best I can to live up to your high standards. It’s always hard work, but it’s also always a joy to do that work. Thank you for coming along with me on this journey.
I now look to a bright future filled with great new adventures. All of you have played a vital part in this and I want to express my sincerest thanks for your devotion and support. I know that my novels have uplifted many people, but all of you have also uplifted me. Thank you.

All best wishes,

Terry Goodkind[/quote]

Let the mocking commence!

So Tairy's writing a thriller? Do we call him Scairy Tairy now?

[quote]I am confident that you will recognize my unique voice in the new books and that you will feel right at home. Except, perhaps, you may now be afraid to turn out the lights when you go to bed.[/quote]
Unique voice? It's that, I guess. Somehow I doubt anyone will be that scared, since that would require him to write something convincing.

Yay. I wonder what these so called "Thrillers" will be about.

Maybe an evil cult of zombie communists will try and take over and rape the entire world, and only one man will be able to stop them. One man who can fire two guns at once with deadly accuracy, give 5 hour speeches and the virtues of free market capitalism, and who will kill any misguided fool or innocent child who gets in his way, and justify it with a simple, unusually non-verbose sentence.

...Actually, that was supposed to be an exaggerated parody, but I fear I might be on the money.

If a chicken that is not a chicken should rear its head in these books, we should all be very very scared.

I personally happened to find Terry Brooks's contemporary fantasy much more interesting than his deadly Shannara series, so I suppose it's possible that the same could be the case with TG?

Oh wait, I'm making some kind of terrible assumption about the idea of him having written fantasy in the past, and perhaps writing fantasy again. There will clearly be no magic in these books. Only guns. Lots of guns.

Incidentally, since he eschews the use of editors, how is that going to work out in a contemporary settings? This is an important job that copy-editors perform.
Having things not add up regarding time and distances can sort of work if you have a fantasy world in which things are... dare I say it, [i]magical[/i]? But if events are taking place in the modern world, it's actually important that people take the right streets to get to places, that it take an appropriate amount of time going there, and so on. Because otherwise is ruins the suspension of disbelief.

Well, maybe I've just been brainwashed by copy-editors who make a living checking these sorts of things?

I was waiting to hear further information about this new output from TG before speculating, but:

I'm assuming the only TV show that Tairy watches is "24", and hence we will see a lot of material borrowed from there. You know, ticking clocks, terr'ists (who are also probably rapists in the Tairy-verse), "good" men torturing, dirty peace protesting hippies, Bill and Hillary Clinton. Speeches about gun control and pacifism and Objectivism being better than everything (communism, Islam, ugly, small-boobed women).

Basically, a whole pile of sick shit with a creamy philosophy turd in the center, smothered in bad prose. But this time with guns, bombs, string bikinis and no cobweb-thin veiling of real-world names/organizations.

OH TERRY GOODKIND YES.

ETA: I'm guessing if this doesn't work out, sales-wise, he will write a bridge book (remember how at the end of SoT, Richard put us all in a magic-free world, because communists existed and we didn't deserve magic? :() that links SoT to these new novels, attempting to get the fantasy crowd to buy a run of the mill military/political thriller (i.e., Tom Clancy) when he finds out that th high ground is already occupied by John Ringo, though Tairy is armed with Objectivism and a willingness to not explain any character ambiguity. A clash of the Titans my friends...we shall witness a clash of the Titans.

One word: FAIL.

I'm not sure what the fuck Putnam was thinking, but i might actually chuckle when this thing tanks. Now, i know he's suckered 25 million people into buying SOT, but it won't happen this time. He is going to get absolutely raped by the critics.

moral bankruptcy + low I.Q. + philosophy of greed = objectivism = fail.

About a future bridge-book: Maybe he'll a series where Richard and Kahlan come to this world to fight commies. I.e. they work for Reagan to overthrow the Soviet Union, maybe take on Cuba and North Korea, and they're the ones that bring capitalism to China.

Archived