Goodkind XXXVIII: The Great Tomato Showdown

Myshkin

[quote name='Moosicus' post='1428627' date='Jul 5 2008, 21.03']It's always something to read responses when someone disagrees. And I don't mean when Mysh, Pita, or I go over there for kicks. The whole cult of them tend to jump all over anyone who doesn't walk the line.

One of us. One of us. One of us.[/quote]

Lemmings of Concord.

:P

[quote name='Gabriele' post='1428152' date='Jul 4 2008, 23.01']I think TOR isn't unhappy to get rid of him. After all, they retain the rights to SoT that sells, and escape having bought the rights to a mainstream thriller about chicken that are no chicken which most probably will not sell half as well as SoT, and taking that risk with TG demanding an advance up to the skies.[/quote]

Wether they're glad to see him go or not is besides the point. You don't bite the hand that feeds you. He took fingers off.

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1428750' date='Jul 6 2008, 00.59']Wether they're glad to see him go or not is besides the point. You don't bite the hand that feeds you. He took fingers off.[/quote]

He practises what he preaches. ;)

I agree it's unethical, but publishing is a business and I doubt anyone at TOR will grow grey hairs because of it.

I read the beginning of his letter
[quote]As you can see by the accompanying press release, I am no longer “unemployed!”[/quote]
as: TOR didn't want to give me a contract for my new book and I desperately looked for another publisher.

To be fair (can't believe I just said that!), what Goodkind did was standard operating procedure when it comes to book selling. Contracts are usually only for 1-3 books, after which (like with any sports player) he is an unrestricted free agent. Doubtless it was his literary agent who studied the market, made the decision to have the new series placed in auction, and it worked out fine. Just like two teams wanting the services of a player will drive up that player's salary, that's what happened here. I doubt there's any feelings other than "that's business." Besides, look at how many publishers Martin is working with at the moment. It's not just Bantam Spectra in the US, is it?

Tairy can be ridiculed for a lot, but when it's actually something that's standard procedure in book publishing, I can't fault him for it. :ack:

[quote name='Dylanfanatic' post='1428781' date='Jul 5 2008, 18.44']To be fair (can't believe I just said that!), what Goodkind did was standard operating procedure when it comes to book selling. Contracts are usually only for 1-3 books, after which (like with any sports player) he is an unrestricted free agent. Doubtless it was his literary agent who studied the market, made the decision to have the new series placed in auction, and it worked out fine. Just like two teams wanting the services of a player will drive up that player's salary, that's what happened here. I doubt there's any feelings other than "that's business." Besides, look at how many publishers Martin is working with at the moment. It's not just Bantam Spectra in the US, is it?

Tairy can be ridiculed for a lot, but when it's actually something that's standard procedure in book publishing, I can't fault him for it. :ack:[/quote]

Do authors call out the publishers who helped launch their career and made them bundles of money like that though? If I'm TOR, I'm quietly sending out info on TG's less savory practices and attitudes through "annonomys" sources. That's gotta be standard operating proceedures too I think.

[quote name='Dylanfanatic' post='1428781' date='Jul 5 2008, 19.44']Tairy can be ridiculed for a lot, but when it's actually something that's standard procedure in book publishing, I can't fault him for it. :ack:[/quote]

Agreed. Tor didn't publish him out of friendship, they saw a chance to make money. While tairy might write to bring Truth to the unenlightened masses, he wouldn't do so unless he could profit from it. Business is business. Moreover, based on how unhappy Tairy seemed to be over how his work was classified, his tussles with editors and the like, I'm surprised he's remained as civil (and overly verbose) as he has.

[quote name='Foreverlad' post='1428793' date='Jul 5 2008, 19.17']Agreed. Tor didn't publish him out of friendship, they saw a chance to make money. While tairy might write to bring Truth to the unenlightened masses, he wouldn't do so unless he could profit from it. Business is business. Moreover, based on how unhappy Tairy seemed to be over how his work was classified, his tussles with editors and the like, I'm surprised he's remained as civil (and overly verbose) as he has.[/quote]

Business is business, agreed, but at the same time...a little gratitude maybe? Would that be so hard?

You haven't read the numerous authors who over the years have bitched about their publishers' marketing decisions, have you? :P It's more common than what one might think at first. All things considered, his comments were very mild. I've read authors whose works I've enjoyed comment about how they switched publishers because they'd get better coverage/treatment, so Goodkind's comments were mild by comparison.

Stop making me sound like I'm defending the guy, though! Gah! :sick:

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1428795' date='Jul 5 2008, 20.19']Business is business, agreed, but at the same time...a little gratitude maybe? Would that be so hard?[/quote]

I completely see where you're coming from, but who owes who gratitude? Tor originally won a bidding war to get Tairy. Later they paid him a large sum of cash to stick around. He helped with their brand recognition and made them (I would assume) decent cash. He needn't feel overly grateful for getting his start with them, they didn't pull his name out of the nether, there were a number of companies vying for him, they simply won.

Over the years there's been quite a bit he's been unhappy with ranging from cover art to editorial demands to marketing. He didn't tell his readers not to feed the Tor or anything, he just found a different venue that would better fit his intent and went with it.

...hmmm on second thought, maybe he does owe them some gratitude. They easily could have marketed his books under Humor, so point taken. ;)

[quote name='Moosicus' post='1420801' date='Jun 30 2008, 03.30']The new book will be about a detective, named Roger, and his new client, a mysterious woman named Karen. She needs Roger's help finding three boxes of orders that went missing at the Parkin' Mall. Roger seeks the advice of his mentor, Zipp. Zipp gives him his special snub-nosed .38 and says "this is the truth, baby". The case leads Roger into New York's seedy underworld sex trade, where he poses as a submissive in Mistress Jenna's bondage club. Later it turns out that the Parkin' Mall is only the beginning. Things go from bad to worse when Roger realizes that the source of all the trouble is the infamous criminal organization known as the "Jah Gang". They run an illegal import/export business using a corrupt Canadian shipping company - Imperial Orders - as a front. But first, Roger must get past the Dark Sistahs. Evil women who sold their souls to gangsta-rap recording companies in order to have their demo tapes played. One of the Dark Sistahs, Vicki, kidnaps Roger and takes him to Europe, with all its Old World charm, and hopes to convert him to her cause. While there, Roger goes to a lot of museums and learns to paint just as well as a renaissance master. His paintings plant the seeds of liberty within horrible European regimes, like France and Germany. Ultimately Roger learns that the only way to defeat the Jah Gang is to beat them at their own game. Rugby. Reaching back to his days as a foozball champion, Roger quickly becomes the best Rugby player in the world, nobody able to withstand his "spin kick". However, nobody knows how the book ends, because nobody gets this far without shooting themselves. Terry Goodkind's comments regarding this will revolve around people not choosing life, and that they're missing the big picture.[/quote]

You poor tortured soul. Just a short step from tairy insanity. :)

So what. Does it really surprise people that Tairy is just another bloodthirsty capitalist? Despite all his pretensions he is just as money-hungry as the rest of us. I would like to see a showdown. What would Tairy do if given the choice between a publishing company that would pay him tons of money, and one that would market his crap as philosophy. I think we all know what he'd do. It would be a shame if he'd have to give up his race car.

Well, many people have all sorts of odd fetishes. I'd imagine Tairy's would be having myasterisk to act as a human colostomy bag :sick:

Archived