Goodkind XXXVIII: The Great Tomato Showdown

Myshkin

[quote name='Triskele' post='1431080' date='Jul 7 2008, 21.17']See, I'm not so sure here. I want Tairy to fail and i want My**** to cry but I don't know where I come out on the series yet. It might be accidentally funny (just like the books), in which case it might be the source of non-stop joy for the Lemming hordes.[/quote]

Hercules became accidentily funny. Xena became that. Even when they were serious, there was that air of surreal comedy about it. There is no way SoT can capture that kinda heart, not without having it become the very thing TG wouldn't want it to be.

Frankly it's more in my own self serving interest to see this show fail. Much more fun to be had that way.

That being said, I'd like to think many of us can watch with detached evaluation when/if it hits the air. Not that anyone other than ourselves will believe that we can.

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1431096' date='Jul 8 2008, 04.36']Hercules became accidentily funny.[/quote]

Hercules is one of those syndicated TV thingies, right? Because I remember to have seem some of these. Wasn't the actor the same who played in the [i]Kull[/i] film? Because,even if I don't watch TV a lot, I do sometimes, and last night I stumbled across that Kull movie with Kevin Sorbas or Whatshisname and had me some 2 hours of a really good laugh.

Based on stories by RE Howard. Indeed. He [i]did[/i] say, "by this axe I rule." :D

It's possible that once Raimi and company are done with it the show may not resemble SoT that much, and after removing everything that must be removed in order to put it on tv it's also possible that it could be enjoyable. And not just as a shit-fest, which would be fine. One question is: where is all the money going? It can't be to the cast, since their using actors nobody has ever heard of. It can't be on special effects since book one doesn't have that much magic, really. And it can't be on sets and costumes, since if they're staying true to the books all the backgrounds will be made of cardboard and painted by children, and costumes will be nothing more than grey smocks with the persons social status written (probably by my*) on them, "pesant", "nobell", "kween", etc. That's what will happen by letting my* "behind the sceens". And you know these people are cracked if they're referring to the yearded one as "the master of the genre". What genre exactly?

- Laundry and hairdressers for Kahlan. She has to keep that white dress pristine even when she's roaming through the wilderness for weeks, and of course she couldn't be getting that long hair tangled up in brambles or anything.

- Tape measures to ensure the characters are all the correct height relative to each other.

- Making that vine look REALLY odd

- Medical compensation for all the actors subjected to Tairy's masterful prose

- Animatronic gars

If you wade though the drivel, you get to the bit where my* reveals that in his world the 'budget' includes the amount of money spent on the rights.

No it doesn't. The rights and the budget are two seperate things. The actual budget is what is spent on the series once the rights are purchased. Once that mistake is rectified, it can be worked out that the budget for the series seems to be on the order of $50 million, or about $2-$3 million per episode, the same as [b]BSG[/b] and far less than [b]Heroes[/b] or [b]Lost[/b] and certainly [b]Rome[/b] (which was about $8 million per episode, as someone correctly states in the thread).

[quote name='Werthead' post='1431340' date='Jul 8 2008, 06.21']If you wade though the drivel, you get to the bit where my* reveals that in his world the 'budget' includes the amount of money spent on the rights.

No it doesn't. The rights and the budget are two seperate things. The actual budget is what is spent on the series once the rights are purchased. Once that mistake is rectified, it can be worked out that the budget for the series seems to be on the order of $50 million, or about $2-$3 million per episode, the same as [b]BSG[/b] and far less than [b]Heroes[/b] or [b]Lost[/b] and certainly [b]Rome[/b] (which was about $8 million per episode, as someone correctly states in the thread).[/quote]

See that makes much more sense then. But as logic, as demonstrated by our tomatoes threads, is irrelevant to the proper world of TG, then it the show will become the greatest blockbuster EVAH! :P

Syndicated shows, even ones backed by Disney, also aren't going to have insanely huge budgets, not at the beginning at least. Syndicated shows, even those backed by Disney, especially in this kinda format, are hit and miss at best. It's a very short bridge from Xena: Warrior Princess to Cleopatra 2525.

I ask again, if there is truly that much money being spent on this show, why isn't it on ABC then? That much money, a producer of Raimi's quality and track record, Disney should be making this a cornerstone of their Monday night line-up to compete with Heroes...I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

What scares me most about his fans, are quotes like these:

"honestly cannot wait to see how the world reacts to Terry's work. Both my husband and I observed last night that if Terry has such a strong following now through his novels, imagine what its going to be like once the show airs. I'm excited for Terry and the success to come for him. He deserves it in spades."

This is, for all intents and purposes, borderline cultish. I have yet to see, with any group of fans devoted to an author, the entire - i can't wait to see how the world reacts - craziness. Perhaps i frequent the wrong sites. Perhaps i use my brain. Perhaps i'm scared.

But what the hell is wrong with these people? I mean, i know there are some hardcores on this site - the type that blow up at you if look at their master wrong - but am i getting the wrong impression when i think that ALL of the fans on that sight seem the same? It's like their watching me, they know i'm in there, observing them like bugs under glass.

Sometimes i think i can hear them breathe in unison, like some wierd invasion of the body snatchers parody thats gone off the rails into crazy land.

[quote name='Arthmail' post='1432100' date='Jul 8 2008, 21.39']But what the hell is wrong with these people? I mean, i know there are some hardcores on this site - the type that blow up at you if look at their master wrong - but am i getting the wrong impression when i think that ALL of the fans on that sight seem the same? It's like their watching me, they know i'm in there, observing them like bugs under glass.

Sometimes i think i can hear them breathe in unison, like some wierd invasion of the body snatchers parody thats gone off the rails into crazy land.[/quote]

It's Tairy's Raptor Gaze.

[quote name='Arthmail' post='1432100' date='Jul 8 2008, 16.39']What scares me most about his fans, are quotes like these:

"honestly cannot wait to see how the world reacts to Terry's work. Both my husband and I observed last night that if Terry has such a strong following now through his novels, imagine what its going to be like once the show airs. I'm excited for Terry and the success to come for him. He deserves it in spades."

This is, for all intents and purposes, borderline cultish. I have yet to see, with any group of fans devoted to an author, the entire - i can't wait to see how the world reacts - craziness. Perhaps i frequent the wrong sites. Perhaps i use my brain. Perhaps i'm scared.[/quote]
Borderline? I'm pretty sure they're already there, and [i]that[/i] is what goes on in their closed forum. Strait up worship of His Yeardliness. Anticipating Tairy having some great impact on people isn't that rare over at .net. And of course you can read the letters describing how Tairy has had an impact on their own lives. :sick:

Also, since they're doing a season per book, is someone over at Disney anticipating that this series might go eleven seasons? Can't be.

[quote name='Arthmail' post='1432100' date='Jul 8 2008, 12.39']What scares me most about his fans, are quotes like these:[/quote]
If you wanna see a scary TG fan qoute check out the green portion of my sig.

[quote name='Myshkin' post='1432287' date='Jul 8 2008, 19.22']If you wanna see a scary TG fan qoute check out the green portion of my sig.[/quote]
You know that jackoff has a big picture of Tairy giving his raptor-gaze, and a large alter upon which chickens are slaughtered daily. This person also does the father Rahl chant all the time, at home, on the bus, at work, in his/her sleep.

Myshkin...who said that particular quote? You're not fabricating things, are you? Because I'd want to ask the person who uttered such a silly statement who the "they" is that is saying that.

BTW, the protected forum is for information we wish to share with our friends on the board but don't want open to general internet access...personal things that usually aren't related to the books.

[quote name='Kheldar' post='1432353' date='Jul 8 2008, 16.36']Myshkin...who said that particular quote? You're not fabricating things, are you? Because I'd want to ask the person who uttered such a silly statement who the "they" is that is saying that.[/quote]
I attributed the quote to "Random Tairy Fan" because I didn't want to be a dick and call the guy out personally in a public forum. I still don't, so I'll PM his identity to you.

ETA: So now you know the name, and it's someone you know quite well. Are you gonna ask him about his "silly statement"?

I've often wondered who the "Random Tairy fan" is, but figured it could be any one of hundreds of nuts out there. I'll take a pm (and a link to the statement if you can find it) if you don't mind. :D

[quote name='Kheldar' post='1432353' date='Jul 8 2008, 20.36']BTW, the protected forum is for information we wish to share with our friends on the board but don't want open to general internet access...personal things that usually aren't related to the books.[/quote]
Shut up, you. It's more fun to speculate on the messed-up things that go on in there. :P

[quote name='Kheldar' post='1432353' date='Jul 8 2008, 18.36']BTW, the protected forum is for information we wish to share with our friends on the board but don't want open to general internet access...personal things that usually aren't related to the books.[/quote]

*sniff sniff* I smell plot to take over the world. :P

Archived