Goodkind XXXVIII: The Great Tomato Showdown

Myshkin

[quote name='The Shining Enigma' post='1429257' date='Jul 6 2008, 13.04'][font="Book Antiqua"][size=3](Sigh)

My good sirs, have you no shame?[/size][/font][/quote]
Is that a rhetorical question?

In any case, it's always a pleasure hear from the Shining Enema. Come back and see us again real soon.

[quote name='The Shining Enigma' post='1429257' date='Jul 6 2008, 11.04'][font="Book Antiqua"][size=3](Sigh)

My good sirs, have you no shame?[/size][/font][/quote]
If we had any, would we be posting messages on this thread? About things you poop into?

[quote name='Foreverlad' post='1428842' date='Jul 6 2008, 03.56']Over the years there's been quite a bit he's been unhappy with ranging from cover art to editorial demands to marketing. He didn't tell his readers not to feed the Tor or anything, he just found a different venue that would better fit his intent and went with it.[/quote]

In case of the cover art I can't even blame him for being unhappy. TOR covers often deserve a lemon, just look at the anatomically weird 'paintings' they slapped on Jordan's books, or the generic hooded dude on [i]Empire of Black and Gold[/i] and that plate armour-with-decollete girl on [i]Gardens of the Moon[/i]. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Arthmail' post='1428617' date='Jul 5 2008, 11.49']Hahaha....you said Dick is amazing.

Anyways. Reading that little bit only goes a step further to show that debating Goodkind with Khel is an absolute waste of time. He is misguided, at the least. He says we don't understand that one can disagree with an author and still enjoy his books. That's ignoring the point of like ten thousand pages of threads.

It's not that we can't read anything with ideas inside that we don't agree with. It's that most authors don't hold up their characters to represent the noblest ideals of good and then have them do things that are clearly grey, if not black, in nature. GRRM does not espouse that we should all love Jaime, he makes no real mention one way or another...he simply shows us who the character is, and why he has become the way he has. He does not say...Jaime represents truth and honesty, and then goes and kills unarmed protestors. He shows us the character, and allows us to choose for ourselves.

Goodkind simply sits around constructing weak arguments that invovle his own ideals and other ideals that are so far in the wrong that the only logical conclusion is to choose his.[/quote]

I'm reading "Faith of the Fallen," right now and it is this habit, this compulsion, to deify his main character that forces me to put down the book every few pages and not pick it up again for another week.

In addition, Goodkind appears to have no conception of what a "prologue" is so, through clumsily exposition, and ludicrous inner monologue, he has his characters vomit out what has happened in the previous books.

[quote name='Dylanfanatic' post='1428811' date='Jul 5 2008, 17.47']You haven't read the numerous authors who over the years have bitched about their publishers' marketing decisions, have you? :P It's more common than what one might think at first. All things considered, his comments were very mild. I've read authors whose works I've enjoyed comment about how they switched publishers because they'd get better coverage/treatment, so Goodkind's comments were mild by comparison.

Stop making me sound like I'm defending the guy, though! Gah! :sick:[/quote]

I am not at all familiar with this subject, nevertheless I will hypothesize that these disputes arise from events that transpire in that far off, frigid realm of crystalline harshness, otherwise known as [i]reality[/i].

Additionally, I would posit that very seldom do these disputes arise from an author's Olympian hubris- a hubris so immense, so all encompassing, so [i]Goodkindian [/i], that the author irrationally blames the publisher for failing to segregate his books from the population of general fantasy novels; blames the publisher for failing to built giant monuments in the likeness of the author that belch smoke and flame, while robtically gesturing to the Terry Goodkind book aisle and sonorously thunder in a faux James Earl Jones/Christopher Lee voice:

"My name is Terry Goodkind, author of authors,
but certainly not the author of fantasy novels,
despite the fact that wizards, destiny, and,
magic swords play an integral part in my stories,
and in truth my novels could not exist in their present form,
without constant magical deux ex machina magical plot conveniences,
to resolve all the hero's problems:
Look on my works, ye Reader, and despair!"

True; most of the other authors who've had conflicts with their publishers have argued over royalties, advances, when the book will be published, distribution, publicity, and other such mundane matters. They didn't have the Yeard of Righteousness to show that they were coiled fury.

On the subject of Devastator, it's a no-brainer. Five chins to kick, five spines to rip, and we all know the inferiority of centipede-like fighting. However, I'm not convinced that Dick would be fighting [i]against[/i] Devastator anyway. OK, "decepticon" is a bit like "deception" ie. the opposite of Truth, but I can't see Dick's little foibles being accepted by the noble Optimus either. Maybe he'd be like Circuit Breaker and fight against both sides... :unsure:

How about Dick Rahl vs Tony Stark?
I think Stark would go down almost as fast as he would in a pit of Lannisters, but the fact that he flies and Richard has to summon a dragon to fly (Though he could just fire off a bolt of lightning)gives him an advantage... And the fact that he's played by Robert Downey Jr...
Any opinions?

This has probably been commented on already, but isn't the D'haran [s]credo[/s] whatever a bit... well, [i]religious[/i]-sounding for someone opposed to religion?

Rahl guide us, Rahl touch us, Rahl rape those of us with blond hair and big breasts, we belong to you like a colostomy bag belongs to its patient (to go with the flow, in true lemming-like fashion) and so on...

I wish I had more patience with idiots. Sadly, I don't.

So, any news on the Goodkind tv series? I'm only partially keeping up with these threads.

[quote name='The Pita Enigma' post='1430004' date='Jul 7 2008, 06.22']How about Dick Rahl vs Tony Stark?
I think Stark would go down almost as fast as he would in a pit of Lannisters,[/quote]

Completely off topic but I just wanted to say that this phrase made me snigger :D Is it a testament to just how manly Richard is that even other men want him that way? (Or am I stuck at work slowly going out of my mind?)

[quote name='Erzulie the Unruly' post='1430220' date='Jul 7 2008, 11.22']This has probably been commented on already, but isn't the D'haran [s]credo[/s] whatever a bit... well, [i]religious[/i]-sounding for someone opposed to religion?

Rahl guide us, Rahl touch us, Rahl rape those of us with blond hair and big breasts, we belong to you like a colostomy bag belongs to its patient (to go with the flow, in true lemming-like fashion) and so on...

I wish I had more patience with idiots. Sadly, I don't.[/quote]
Quite religious, so Dick's last act in the series is to abolish it. Hooray for Dick.

[quote name='Erzulie the Unruly' post='1430220' date='Jul 7 2008, 11.22']So, any news on the Goodkind tv series? I'm only partially keeping up with these threads.[/quote]
Just the same ol' shit. Dick and Klan have been cast, not much more. The usual mouthpieces have been going on and on, according to them more money is being spent on this series (per season) than [i]Rome[/i]. That's a lot of money to flush down the crapper if true.

[quote name='Moosicus' post='1430676' date='Jul 7 2008, 15.17']Just the same ol' shit. Dick and Klan have been cast, not much more. The usual mouthpieces have been going on and on, according to them more money is being spent on this series (per season) than [i]Rome[/i]. That's a lot of money to flush down the crapper if true.[/quote]

Rome was only 10 episodes a season though. Aren't there going to be something like a full slate of 22-24 for this cratacular show of shows? Wouldn't that mean, by the simplest of math, that more money would be spent on this show than Rome? By Default.

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1430933' date='Jul 7 2008, 20.37']Rome was only 10 episodes a season though. Aren't there going to be something like a full slate of 22-24 for this cratacular show of shows? Wouldn't that mean, by the simplest of math, that more money would be spent on this show than Rome? By Default.[/quote]
I suppose so. The actual amounts are a big secret for some reason. For more, [url="http://terrygoodkind.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3468"]read on.[/url]

eta: As always, the spelling errors make me smile.

[quote name='Moosicus' post='1430954' date='Jul 7 2008, 18.59']I suppose so. The actual amounts are a big secret for some reason. For more, [url="http://terrygoodkind.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3468"]read on.[/url][/quote]

:lol:

In the vein of Xena and Hercules, but with a budget of astronomical proportions? Hey, looking at the Disney site, they've got it listed under the syndication area right along with Regis and Kelly and Who Wants To Be A Millionaire...there could be a lot of money being pumped into this. But let's be honest, how much money can it really be? Disney's syndicating this. If they had hardcore faith in it, especially with a name like Raimi attached, wouldn't they want this for ABC primetime or at least pair it with Wildfire on ABC Family? Syndication, it would seem, is an easy way to recoup money spent regardless of whether it's a hit or not. While we might be very well proven wrong, the idea that more money is being spent on this by Disney with "the budget (that) dwarfs what we'e seen with series like Star trek, BSG, Rome and the like." is, right now without some sort of proof, humorous at best.

I'm going to be interested to see what kind, if any (which I doubt) coverage this is going to get in the mags like EW or TV Guide...

What's My smoking these days? He actually grasped the cold, hard truth about the movie:

[quote]The real secret behind it all is to sell more books![/quote]

But if they keep as much of the original dialogue as possible, the film will SO tank. :P

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1431030' date='Jul 8 2008, 03.08']Psssst...Gab...it's a syndicated TV show that's going to tank. Not a film. :P[/quote]

Lol, I can't tell the difference. The only movie(s) I saw the last 20 years was LOTR, and I don't watch TV a lot.

[quote name='myasterisk']So yeh... I'm saying the whole Mud people spirit house thing will have to be a must!...And I want to see Demin Nass get his due[/quote]

Needless to say, things like this give me hope for the jaw kick of ridiculousness and the swift cancellation of the series.

Archived