The Dark Knight part deux

Mexal

[quote name='Cat of Oop North' post='1449120' date='Jul 21 2008, 11.05']Wouldn't you? If I wanted to become a badass vigilante, that is the first movie I would rent.[/quote]

I dunno, Id watch Death Wish.

YW

Rockroi, I couldn't have said it better myself. Completely agree with your whole synopsis.

I didn't have time to browse through the entire topic ~dodges rotton vegatables~, but has anyone commented on the next movie? I know the majority of the regular actors are already signed, and last I heard Nolan wasn't yet. I just don't know how they're going to top this. As much as I enjoy Nolan's vision of Batman, I don't want to see it go down in flames by reaching too far. If Nolan is at the helm, I don't see this happening, but it still concerns me. Maybe I'll be wrong, I had high hopes for this, but I didn't expect it to be as good as Batman Begins, but I was pleasantly suprised. The prospect of a Catwoman doesn't do much for me, nor does a penguin or a riddler or a hatter or any of them. And I'm not letting the previous Burton/Schumaker movies influence me either, I don't find their characters as appealing (even in the comic books) as Dent and the Joker.

Any speculation? I could see the "trilogy" ending with Batman clearing his name, or even getting to the point where he hangs up the cape, but I don't know even if I would want him to clear his name. That's what makes his character so appealing.

I've been thinking about it, and discussing it, for a bit, and I had some ideas.

The Riddler, imo, is the way to go. And not the crazy, wacky, shittastic Jim Carry Riddler, but the Riddler from the animated series. Intelligent and manipulative and debonair.

I'm thinking he'd be a popular, well known figure, like someone Bruce knows from the circle of the upper class. But at the same time he's committing some serious crimes, using his position of power to try and fill the power vacuum left by the mob leaders and basically grabbing for power anyway he can. Maybe he's running for Mayor too.

In his criminal life, he's using elaborate riddles and clues to jerk Batman around, playing off the publics dislike of him to enhance his popularity, while also using Batman as a cover for the crimes he commits.

For instance, leaving clues for Batman that say "I will be robbing this bank at this time" and then robbing the bank in such a way that it looks like Batman did it, with Batman being seen on scene because of the clues he's following. Batman's trying to stop it but the Riddler is twisting it around to make it look like Batman is committing the crimes.

I'm still trying to decide if there's any interesting theme you can explore with the idea though. Maybe the difference between what the public thinks they want and what they actually need (The Riddler looks good and is liked, but is bad for them and the reviled Batman is the person they really need). And the differences and similarities between the 2 men's public and secret (ie - real) lives.

[quote name='Shryke' post='1449145' date='Jul 21 2008, 11.26']I've been thinking about it, and discussing it, for a bit, and I had some ideas.

The Riddler, imo, is the way to go. And not the crazy, wacky, shittastic Jim Carry Riddler, but the Riddler from the animated series. Intelligent and manipulative and debonair.

I'm thinking he'd be a popular, well known figure, like someone Bruce knows from the circle of the upper class. But at the same time he's committing some serious crimes, using his position of power to try and fill the power vacuum left by the mob leaders and basically grabbing for power anyway he can. Maybe he's running for Mayor too.

In his criminal life, he's using elaborate riddles and clues to jerk Batman around, playing off the publics dislike of him to enhance his popularity, while also using Batman as a cover for the crimes he commits.

For instance, leaving clues for Batman that say "I will be robbing this bank at this time" and then robbing the bank in such a way that it looks like Batman did it, with Batman being seen on scene because of the clues he's following. Batman's trying to stop it but the Riddler is twisting it around to make it look like Batman is committing the crimes.

I'm still trying to decide if there's any interesting theme you can explore with the idea though. Maybe the difference between what the public thinks they want and what they actually need (The Riddler looks good and is liked, but is bad for them and the reviled Batman is the person they really need). And the differences and similarities between the 2 men's public and secret (ie - real) lives.[/quote]

Im still holding out for The Punisher showing up with a nuclear device and simply blowing up all of Gotham.

Wait...wrong universe.

YW

[quote name='Ouroboros' post='1449159' date='Jul 21 2008, 12.36']Me, I'm sticking with Man-Bat.[/quote]

Nolan will make Batman vs. Aliens. vs Predator before he does Man-Bat. Best let that hope die right now..

[quote name='Ouroboros' post='1449170' date='Jul 21 2008, 12.43']Why not? No sequel will ever be as good as this movie, so why not forget even trying and just go balls out crazy with Man-Bat? Man-Bat, Killer Croc, Clay Face, drag 'em all out![/quote]

I think we're still a Batman movie or 2 away. It's obvious that Sam Raimi must direct.

[quote name='WarGalley' post='1449179' date='Jul 21 2008, 17.47']I think we're still a Batman movie or 2 away. It's obvious that Sam Raimi must direct.[/quote]
Sam Raimi? :sick: That's below the belt, WarGalley.

[quote name='WarGalley' post='1449179' date='Jul 21 2008, 11.47']I think we're still a Batman movie or 2 away. It's obvious that Sam Raimi must direct.[/quote]

That would pretty much guarantee a Bruce Campbell sighting. I approve of Bruce Campbell knocking out Christian Bale and donning the batmask and cape. :P

YW

[quote name='Young Wolf' post='1449202' date='Jul 21 2008, 11.58']That would pretty much guarantee a Bruce Campbell sighting. I approve of Bruce Campbell knocking out Christian Bale and donning the batmask and cape. :P

YW[/quote]

You'd have Campbell play Azreal then...?

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1449208' date='Jul 21 2008, 12.02']You'd have Campbell play Azreal then...?[/quote]

In a perfect world, Sam Raimi would direct a movie in which Bruce Campbell starred in every role of the movie. No extras, no other actors...just 100% Bruce Campbell.

YW

[quote]The next Batman villain had better be Bane.[/quote]

And go through with the whole spine-cracking thing?

Bane's cool, though too often reduced to a mindless thug. The intelligent, ambiguous Bane would be cool.

…But the thought of Daniel Day-Lewis as the Riddler makes me break out into fangirlish spasms.

Guest Raidne
Good recaps of the villains and how they could be worked into Nolan's version here:

[url="http://comics.ign.com/articles/888/888464p1.html"]Part One[/url]

[url="http://comics.ign.com/articles/891/891521p1.html"]Part Two[/url]

I say bring on the Catwoman, because I'd like to see more Bruce Wayne and there'd be a lot of her and Bruce running into each other out of costume at various society functions. And I say cast Angelina Jolie. I'm sure she's a too-obvious choice for all of you, but she's great in action flicks IMO.

Archived