Babylon 5

AverageGuy

[quote name='Shryke' post='1743919' date='Apr 3 2009, 15.43']The thing is though, it makes sense for him to be annoying. He's a fucking CULT LEADER for fuck's sake. WTF do you expect him to be like?[/quote]

Like Jesus. Not like a guitar playing, popped collar douche bag.

[quote name='Arakasi' post='1743940' date='Apr 3 2009, 15.50']One thing guys. It is Severed Dreams, not Shattered Dreams!. I am wondering where everyone else is getting their episode titles. (was it different in Britain?)[/quote]

Oops. [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRHLkLFJxaw"]Shattered Dreams[/url] is a song from the 80s. Understandable mistake.

Omg for once I finally agree with Shryke about something. Must be a sign of the apocalypse. The problem with Byron isn't that he is annoying cult leader, I think that is the point. The problem is that he is on screen for too long because the screwup at the end of Season 4 made them drag this plot out longer. If Byron is boring you just hit ffwd and move on. :P

[quote name='G'Kar' post='1743937' date='Apr 3 2009, 15.50']Like Jesus. Not like a guitar playing, popped collar douche bag.[/quote]

Cult Leaders come in many shapes and sizes, but all are annoying.

[quote name='G'Kar' post='1743865' date='Apr 3 2009, 15.05']Shattered Dreams was easily one of my top 5 favorite episodes.[/quote]

Bloody hell, get the name right then! Shattered Dreams was some Lindsay Wagnar mundane movie-of-the-week.

The Hugo-award-winning episode was called Severed Dreams. Don't make me fume like Byron in your general direction!

[quote name='Shryke' post='1743950' date='Apr 3 2009, 15.57']Cult Leaders come in many shapes and sizes, but all are annoying.[/quote]

Baby Jesus is crying right now. Happy?

[quote]After suffering through season 1 and seeing the show steadily get better and better, it saddens me to have heard that the show goes to crap again in season 5. Should I just stop at season 4?[/quote]

Season 5 is well worth it. They rushed the end of the liberation of Earth story arc to fit it into season 4 because at the time those decisions were made there was good reason to believe that the series would not be renewed for a 5th season. They did end up getting the ok for the last season though after it was to lake to switch back.

This causes two things. One, if you feel like they crammed an awful lot into season 4, they did. JMS wanted to tie up the Earth arc if the series had to end then. Two, a major arc for the beginning of season 5 was shifted to season 4, meaning that when they had to figure out a plan for season for they had a gapping hole to fill. So a smaller storyline got stretched out (the much lamented Byron arc). It ends up feeling like the filler it is. Season 5 does have some solid episodes early on and after about episode 10 or so gets back to quality the rest of the show achieved.

As for season 1, if you have the time, go back and watch it again after finishing the series. There is a lot going on during this season that is not as clear until one knows where the series and the characters end up going that makes one appreciatte the first season a great deal more on a rewatch.

[quote name='Lord O' Bones' post='1743883' date='Apr 3 2009, 20.16']Edit: What is the chronology of these movies?[/quote]

In The Beginning is 10 years before S1 - it's the story of the Earth-Minbari war, and how Sheridan got the name Starkiller. Thirdspace is set during the series - I think somewhere in S4 chronologically. River of Souls is 1 year after and Call to Arms is 5 years after S5, and the Lost Tales are 10 years after. I'm not sure where Legend of the Rangers fits - probably about the same time as Call to Arms.

[quote name='Shryke' post='1744109' date='Apr 3 2009, 22.58']Legend of the Rangers is an ACTUAL abomination that should never be talked of.[/quote]

What, like Highlander 2 or Star Trek 5?

I still think the Whitestar martial arts/weapons system in Legend of the Rangers that is operated by the weapons officer punching at the enemy ships is possibly one of the silliest things I've seen in any Science Fiction TV show.

There's no "possibly" about it.

Also, Highlander had no sequels. I mean, he's the last one at the end of the first movie. A second one wouldn't make sense, hence it was never made.

[quote]Also, Highlander had no sequels. I mean, he's the last one at the end of the first movie. A second one wouldn't make sense, hence it was never made.[/quote]

Amen!

The problems with the Byron storyline are many and varied, but can be summed up as it went on for far too long (it's front-and-centre in five or six out of the first eleven episodes of S5), it's covering ground that was already more than thoroughly explored in the single episodes [i]Mind War[/i] and [i]A Race Through Dark Places[/i], it's a set-up for a story that has never been resolved (the Telepath Wars story), and the 'big mysterious secret' that its resolution hangs on is something the viewers have already known for eighteen months by this point, which is extremely anticlimatic.

There's also the fact that the guy playing Byron is weak in the role and he has some of JMS' worst dialogue ever (which [i]is[/i] saying something: JMS on form is brilliant, but when not it's excruciating). Pretty much all of the other rogue telepaths are nonentities who only appear in one or two episodes, so you don't really have any sympathy at all for them or their predicament.

The telepath arc is clearly a casualty of the decision to collapse the main story arc and the resolution of certain stories into Season 4. Without that happening, the Byron arc would likely have only been 3-4 eps at the outside, and the season would have been much better paced.

[quote name='Maltaran' post='1744097' date='Apr 3 2009, 14.52']In The Beginning is 10 years before S1 - it's the story of the Earth-Minbari war, and how Sheridan got the name Starkiller. Thirdspace is set during the series - I think somewhere in S4 chronologically. River of Souls is 1 year after and Call to Arms is 5 years after S5, and the Lost Tales are 10 years after. I'm not sure where Legend of the Rangers fits - probably about the same time as Call to Arms.[/quote]
Again, much obliged.

Most telepath stuff already annoys me. Sounds like this is going to be rough.

Coming late to the party here, but season 5? If it's--okay, I mean it [i]is[/i]--weaker than Seasons 2/3/4, but it's still way the hell better than S1. If nothing else, the actors have a basic level of competence that wasn't present in the early going. Likewise the writers. And the effects people.

Byron > Infected, TKO, Soulhunter, etc.

[quote name='Max the Mostly Mediocre' post='1744212' date='Apr 4 2009, 00.53']Coming late to the party here, but season 5? If it's--okay, I mean it [i]is[/i]--weaker than Seasons 2/3/4, but it's still way the hell better than S1. If nothing else, the actors have a basic level of competence that wasn't present in the early going. Likewise the writers. And the effects people.

Byron > Infected, TKO, Soulhunter, etc.[/quote]

Yes, I've heard people say they prefer Season 5 to Season 1.

I weep for their souls.

( ;) )

Archived