The Office

Aemon Stark

A little sad to see Michael once again just being completely moronic, it really didn't work. It's like he loses 15 IQ points with every season.

I thought this at the start, too, but it's Michael's need to BELONG and be INCLUDED that leads to his moronic behavior. This episode was overloaded with those needs.

But his plan to "fix" his Stanley rumor was somewhat genius. Spread a bunch of other made up facts and then use them to later show that everything is just made up, including the original Stanley rumor. That's a wonderful plan, as long as the rumors are not true.

How he spread 'falsehoods' that in some cases were true was in some ways akin to how he somehow successfully manages the Scranton branch. It all looks crazed, but somehow works out in the end and the punishment is taken in stride.

SPOILER: punishment
(Stanley with a tire iron vs. the Sebring!)
That's good comedy!

Yes, Slurktan quoted the best line.

I liked the episode, laughed plenty of times. I liked when Erin said to Kelly, "I'm so glad you are eating." and all Kelly replies with is "me too."

Was the white intern Matt Damon's little brother? The joke at the end is that he looks like Alan Thicke but he looks ALOT like matt damon.

Decent episode, but I usually expect more from their season premiers.

I thought Creed's only good line last night was, "Who's the obgyn?" The scuba diving line felt forced.

and I liked "I peed on the stick, but it was inconclusive..." from Jim. of course, much like Michael Scott the Redwoman missed the hardcore Parcour phenomenon, even though ... whatshisname... from survivor was a parcourist lol

of course, much like Michael Scott the Redwoman missed the hardcore Parcour phenomenon, even though ... whatshisname... from survivor was a parcourist lol

Thankfully this opener had absolutely nothing to do with the plot. So stupid, even for Scott/Schrute/Bernard standards.

I just turned it on by accident, I hadn't been watching the repeats all summer and I couldn't even decide if I was watching a repeat or a new episode until the started talking about Pam being pregnant. I hadn't seen any promos that this was the season premiere of The Office, I guess NBC spent all their promo money on Jay Leno.

Some parts I thought were funny and made me chuckle (Andy in consternation about not knowing if the rumor about him was true or not) but I thought it was a "meh" episode overall.

ETA:

I actually enjoyed the series premiere of "Community" better. Even though that Talk Soup guy gets on my nerves big time, he was toned down enough that I could tolerate him and I really liked the supporting cast of the series, John Oliver, Chevy Chase, and the actor that plays Abad.

Other Notable Moments from "The Office" Season Opener

"A baby conceived out of a wedlock is still a bastard." Said to Pam by Angela at the intern cake party.

Kevin says he knew Pam was pregnant, because Pam's boobs were getting bigger. And he went into great detail to explain how they were getting bigger.

Other rumors that Michael spread:

Dwight uses store-bought manure

Oscar is the voice of the Taco Bell dog

Toby is a virgin

Loved it!

Other Notable Moments from "The Office" Season Opener

"A baby conceived out of a wedlock is still a bastard." Said to Pam by Angela at the intern cake party.

Kevin says he knew Pam was pregnant, because Pam's boobs were getting bigger. And he went into great detail to explain how they were getting bigger.

Other rumors that Michael spread:

Dwight uses store-bought manure

Oscar is the voice of the Taco Bell dog

Toby is a virgin

Loved it!

And Kevin is controlled by a smaller person inside of him. :P

yeah, it started out as a trainwreck I thought. It was wandering and confused, but suddenly it hit its stride and went hilarious. The Andy stuff, the Kevin stuff--all great.

I really hated some of Jim and Pam's interviews together. They're much funnier apart in the interviews. It's too forced and cute.

Jimy redeemed himself in my eyes when he said he peed on the stick and it was inconclusive though.

ETA:

I actually enjoyed the series premiere of "Community" better. Even though that Talk Soup guy gets on my nerves big time, he was toned down enough that I could tolerate him and I really liked the supporting cast of the series, John Oliver, Chevy Chase, and the actor that plays Abad.

This show might end up needing its own thread. I laughed throughout. Abed was excellent. McHale and Gillian Jacobs characters already have a spark of thinly veiled hatred/attraction.

The Breakfast Club-ish tribute throughout the episode was a nice touch.

It was absolutely brilliant last night - the opening was so uncomfortably wrong and so, so awesome at the same time. I can't believe it took them five seasons to go there. The Dwight and Toby scenes were a thing of beauty, "Hey ASSHOLE! You gonna eat all that dog food yourself!".

I keep hoping my staff will bring me a cheese platter half that nice. :tantrum:

The can of parmigian cheese was perfect.

And they continued Andy's personal life confusion with his reading of the e-mail from his cousin. Something like, "Let's go visit grandma and then go get drunk. Ha ha."

So a few questions:

- Is impending fatherhood making Jim more serious about life?

- Why would he want to be manager of Scranton when he knows he will have an incredibly hard time being seen as a superior and not a peer to the rest of the sales staff (especially Dwight) who are older than him?

- What other (outside?) job offer did he have on the table in his meeting with Wallace?

- Will this co-manager situation lead to all sorts of hilarity and mahem or will Jim start to put a lid on some of the more outlandish stuff he knows goes on?

I know, right - shouldn't he have at least been a little happy that Michael got promoted to Co-Manager too. :)

Exactly. Instead, all we get from Dwight is a loud expression of jealousy. Tsk tsk, Dwight, I thought you were more professional than that. :P

The Wedge;

- Is impending fatherhood making Jim more serious about life?

No idea. I wonder if the thought of a bigger salary to help him and Pam financially with the child played a part in him making the suggestion to Wallace.

- Why would he want to be manager of Scranton when he knows he will have an incredibly hard time being seen as a superior and not a peer to the rest of the sales staff (especially Dwight) who are older than him?

Maybe because he figures he's up to the challenge, or because taking a job at another place would have meant he'd start at the bottom, or he just wants the bigger salary. It will be interesting to see how everyone handles the transition - I'm sure Dwight will sooner or later push to see how far he can go before Jim reins him in.

- What other (outside?) job offer did he have on the table in his meeting with Wallace?

No idea here, either. Maybe Jim just made it up to pressure Wallace into accepting his proposal.

- Will this co-manager situation lead to all sorts of hilarity and mahem or will Jim start to put a lid on some of the more outlandish stuff he knows goes on?

Given that this is The Office, I'm sure the former will occur, and I wouldn't be surprised if Jim's attempts at the latter backfired, or at least didn't work out the way he wants. :D

Archived