The Legend Begins...

Andhaira

[i]Legend of the Seeker[/i] has respectable ratings for its first episode. Curiously, ratings figures on the second episode seem to be a tad overdue. Hmm.... ;) In any case, I'd imagine that a light action/comedy fantasy serial in first-run syndication is of such a different pedigree than an HBO original that its okay ratings in its first episode would have negligible impact on the decision-makers at HBO.

I hope HBO keeps shelving [i]Game of Thrones[/i] with as much vigor as Mystar assured us all that it had. "Shelving" like that is worth its weight in gold. ;)

(And given that, lets just agree to ignore Mystar's claims to know anything about anything regarding production of anything but LotS. 5 scripts? With one of them by GRRM? WTF does that come from?)

[quote name='Ran' post='1587628' date='Nov 13 2008, 18.06']I hope HBO keeps shelving [i]Game of Thrones[/i] with as much vigor as Mystar assured us all that it had. "Shelving" like that is worth its weight in gold. ;)

(And given that, lets just agree to ignore Mystar's claims to know anything about anything regarding production of anything but LotS. 5 scripts? With one of them by GRRM? WTF does that come from?)[/quote]
I doubt he knows more about the production of LotS than most people do, really, although he does claim he's a consultant or in consultations with the writers or something.

(and I think we all know where he pulls the stuff he 'knows' about the HBO series from ;))

Blue Roses,

Nice catch. :thumbsup:

[quote]Don't get me wrong, I really want to see ASoIaF come to the screen I really do. I only hope they can find some theme other than incest, and rape, graphic same sex sexual scenes, [b]and the killing innocent lil boy by tossing him off the top of a tower.[/b] Perhaps they can change the story so some character will last more than an episode. It's kind of hard to follow a story when everyone gets killed off...[/quote]

Lets hope he never finds out about Carl.

[quote name='mystar']Don't get me wrong, I really want to see ASoIaF come to the screen I really do.[/quote]

If a possible ASoIaF would be even remotely like Legend of the Seeker I'd much rather not see it adapted to TV. I didn't catch enough of the two pilot episodes of LotS to assess, but I watched episode 3 and had to change channel after about half an hour. The thing was just too bad to stomach and I caught myself looking forward to the next commercial break. I am not going to waste my time on any further episodes.

With HBO being in charge, though, there's plenty of reason to hope that ASoIaF won't be like LotS. Mystar can antagonize all he wants, it doesn't take away from the generally acknowledged fact that HBO brings series of the highest quality to TV. If mystar would indulge himself a little less in his presumed importance for Goodkind and the Goodkind fellowship he might be able to recognize and acknowledge a few things pretty much everyone else is aware of. But then there's little hope that that's going to happen.

[quote]Don't get me wrong, I really want to see ASoIaF come to the screen I really do. I only hope they can find some theme other than incest, and rape, graphic same sex sexual scenes, and the killing innocent lil boy by tossing him off the top of a tower. Perhaps they can change the story so some character will last more than an episode. It's kind of hard to follow a story when everyone gets killed off...[/quote]

Lessee, while I don't remember any incest, Richard's mother was Raped, as are about a million other women in SoT, some of the main characters closest bodyguards are gay, a child is killed in the opening pages of SoT. Wow. Selective reading, thy name is My*

[quote]Don't get me wrong, I really want to see ASoIaF come to the screen I really do. I only hope they can find some theme other than incest, and rape, graphic same sex sexual scenes, and the killing innocent lil boy by tossing him off the top of a tower. Perhaps they can change the story so some character will last more than an episode. It's kind of hard to follow a story when everyone gets killed off...[/quote]

I'm pretty sure that Jaime was seen as a pretty big villain when he threw Bran of th tower. But when Richard's kick shattered Violet's jaw and severed her tongue he was seen as doing something good and heroic..

Is he really talking about the amount of rape in ASOIAF when Khalan is nearly raped twice a book?

I don't remember the same sex scenes to be very "graphic". Nothing like Khalan's time with Dick when she thought it was Brother Dick. :stunned:

So the question is, is My* being deliberately obtuse, or is he really that stupid?

Perin Stone, while I completely agree with everything you said in your post, I'm going to have to ask you to please remove my name from that quote. That is Mystar's quote, and I'd really hate to have anybody think I was capable of being as big a douche as..... well we'll not name names.

[quote name='Rimmer' post='1587641' date='Nov 13 2008, 05.40']He might have a point about the script not being adhesive enough though... maybe the pages should be glued together instead of stapled?[/quote]

Oh, haven't you heard? Cohesive scripts are a thing of the past. The only way to get a script produced now is to make it adhesive, to keep it stuck in the producer's hand.

[quote name='Perin Stone' post='1588074' date='Nov 13 2008, 13.17']Oops. Didn't mean to imply you said it. Just cut/pasted/editted to quickly.[/quote]

Much better, thank you. When you attributed that quote to me I was really afraid that it might jeopardize my reputation for brilliant use of grammar.

[quote name='Tormund Midgetsbane' post='1587761' date='Nov 13 2008, 11.50']Lessee, while I don't remember any incest, Richard's mother was Raped, as are about a million other women in SoT, some of the main characters closest bodyguards are gay, a child is killed in the opening pages of SoT. Wow. Selective reading, thy name is My*[/quote]

In Blood of the Fold one of the main villains was sleeping with his sister.

[quote name='Andhaira' post='1587636' date='Nov 13 2008, 06.23']Lets hope he never finds out about Carl.[/quote]

CARRRRRLLLLLLL!!! :bawl:

And as to the commentary from other sources: What did I say? Even though it can't have had any impact on the HBO decision, the "Others" (see what I did there?) will claim LotS was a primary motivating factor...idiots.

[quote]In Blood of the Fold one of the main villains was sleeping with his sister.[/quote]

Doh! You're right. So our dear unnamed friend was 0/4

[quote]Is it odd that I am quite disappointed that LoS is not available at all where I live?

I feel as though I am being deprived in some sort of strange and terrible way.[/quote]

If you went to get a vasectomy would you feel deprived if the doctor didn't have a weed-whacker?

[quote]Now they have even more to be irked about. Which they will deny to their last breath, but now that LotS has shown some great ratings, HBO finally decided to get off the fence and do a pilot episode.[/quote]
I'm certain that all HBO was waiting for was the outcome of Legend of the Seeker. And from what I'm hearing, based on LotS HBO is more likely to cancel ASOIAF than produce it. Which may or not be a pity - [i]Rome[/i] was AWESOME and full of shades of grey, so they could almost certainly do a good job of capturing the moral complexities ASOIAF. But can anything live up to the source material? Find me any media that turned out better, rather than worse, when moved from book to big screen. Except [i]The Princess Bride[/i]. "Anybody want a peanut?" And come to think of it, the book was pretty good too.

[quote]It only took them cowards years...they had to wait until LotS made a solid respectable showing before begrudgingly giving the ok to test out a pilot.[/quote]
"Those", not "them", he's from Michigan, not Texas. Calling someone a coward because they are unwilling to take a risk on the unpredictable world of entertainment suggests a total lack of appreciation for capitalism. Odd in a Yeardite. Particularly given the HUGELY expensive costs of Rome, I'm not surprised they are being cautious to green-light another potentially expensive, complex story that will only capture a small market (unlike Rome, they can't expect history buffs to tune in).

[quote]They went through what....?....5 script's[size=1][sup][color="blue"][citation needed][/color][/sup][/size] before even getting anything to ok...Even GRRM's script was rejected and the first three were summarily rejected for lack of a plot and adhesive story line.[/quote]
GRRM was a screenwriter, as well as the author of the source material. One would think he would be able to manage a good product. I call bullshit pending a source.

Adhesive? Were it someone I respected I might suggest a deliberate pun on the ability to capture an audience. In this case, I'm simply calling retard.

Rome had incest, rape, graphic sex (and some same sex, both genders) and child rape. I'm sure ASOIAF will manage to muddle through similar controversies provided they stick closely to the source material, it's magnificent ambiguities, the unwillingness to indulge in black-and-white charicatures/characters, etc. Want a real hero? Eddard Stark, who actually DIED for his beliefs, beliefs that were not simplistic strawmen, but realistic situations of betrayal for power, money and lust. Not Tairy's fake "wah, I have to wear a collar until I fix all my problems with magic" hero. ASOIAF is sufficiently engrossing that even after engrossing characters die off, I continued reading.

Actually, for a REAL hero, you're probably better off going with some non-fictional examples. I'm going to go with Richard Dawkins, love that guy.

Oh, and pot, kettle, black.

Archived