The Legend Begins...

Andhaira

[quote name='Ran' post='1589140' date='Nov 14 2008, 13.10']Augustus and Octavia?[/quote]
Hammer, nail, head. Plus, the Egyptian royal family maintained incestuous rulership for generations by marring brother and sister to avoid dilution of the divine bloodline. Though I don't think they intimated that in Rome (Tutanhkamen was married to his sister). GRRM's treatment of the Targaryen bloodline is only shocking to those who don't know their history - quite common throughout the world I believe, and the never-branching tree of the European royal families are really rather tame in comparison. And of course, all of this led to the horrible birth defects, derangements and blood problems that plagued European royalty. And of course, Prince Charles.

Great scene, lovely rational - "Go sleep with your brother, that way he'll tell you secrets". Servilia was a weird lady.

I've also a geneological chart in one of my many books for the royal family of Rome, I'm sure there's some cousin or brother-sister marriage. I'd check, but that might interfere with my pontificating.

Caught the tail end of tonight's show.

For some reason, they decided that pulling "I am not your father" ONCE wasn't enough.
They have now pulled "I am not your real mother, even though I said that I was earlier."

The Zedd granddad thing has also come out.

Otherwise, pretty typical, faffing about killing time waiting for the important episodes later.

For some reason, Raimi seems to think that his 'wizard's fire' special effect is pretty cool, since he uses it so often.

[quote name='WLU' post='1589450' date='Nov 14 2008, 16.50']Hammer, nail, head. Plus, the Egyptian royal family maintained incestuous rulership for generations by marring brother and sister to avoid dilution of the divine bloodline. Though I don't think they intimated that in Rome (Tutanhkamen was married to his sister). GRRM's treatment of the Targaryen bloodline is only shocking to those who don't know their history - quite common throughout the world I believe, and the never-branching tree of the European royal families are really rather tame in comparison. And of course, all of this led to the horrible birth defects, derangements and blood problems that plagued European royalty. And of course, Prince Charles.[/quote]

Technically the Ptolemies weren't in any way Egyptian, though they did partake in the incest.

Anyway, I continue to be deprived of Goodkind's magnum opus, as the ABC station I get prefers to play NCAA football in lieu of it. Not that I can blame them.

I just don't want to miss the jaw-kicking action of Richard's encounter with Princess Violet.

Okay, I'm not catching all of the episodes, or all of any particular episode overall, but I am catching bits and pieces. Like, for instance, the final fight on top of the scaffold last night, you know, once Zedd used his fire to free 'ole Dick from his bonds. And I'm noticing, every time I see a fight now, it's Richard and Kahlan back to back, she with her two knives/swords and he with his special blade and the fight always comes TO them, rather than they going to it. For the most part. At some point, Kahlan has to get knocked down and 'ole Dick needs to make the trademarked leaping two handed sword chop manuver to save her...

Maybe I need to watch more, but this seems to be a rut they're in after only 4 episodes...

Look--I don't know much about Goodkind, I've never read his books, but once a few years ago I spent an hour on this board reading a thread ripping him. I know some things about him. I can't remember the "vine" thing though it sparks something in my memory. I do remember the evil chicken, but I don't quite understand its significance--except that maybe this writer put an evil chicken in his book.

But I watched a couple episodes of this last night on TV. That's a real understatement. I watched about 20 minutes of two total episodes last night. It is like Hercules by the way, which I loved, but the formula grew tiresome back with Sorbo.

Observations:

That Seeker kid is annoying. Why can't we get young heroes who aren't stupid looking? I know the girls love his pretty face, but I don't.

I'm glad I don't live in a world where we're all fucked if our one chance of survival, a stupid as fuck headstrong farm boy, dies.

When will movie makers realize that an "ample bosom" has to go along with a "hot face" to be effective. The blond girl in the episode I saw looked like someone dragged her face along a meat tenderizer. Brunette isn't much better. Hey if they're there for sex appeal and not acting, then make the right decisions producers!

The minotaur was the same one from the Hercules episode.

Cool, Sam Raimi's brother is a secondary character in this like he was in Hercules.

This show sucks.

[quote]When will movie makers realize that an "ample bosom" has to go along with a "hot face" to be effective. The blond girl in the episode I saw looked like someone dragged her face along a meat tenderizer. Brunette isn't much better. Hey if they're there for sex appeal and not acting, then make the right decisions producers![/quote]
See avatar. I thought they did well with Kahlan in that respect.

I actually like this new Kahlan's acting. She's much more up-front about wanting to drag Richard away to save the Midlands. I love how overtly she pushed: "And with it, you will kill Darken Rahl!" She kept coming back to that. And I love how fast and how shamelessly she went from "dismissive of the stupid country kid" to "respectful and nice to the Seeker, while still ruthlessly pushing my own agenda."

As a character, she seems to hold together better and have more interesting shades of grey to her than in the book. Of course, the grey is still not acknowledged. At this point it's probably too much to hope that she'll do the naked ghost thing or slaughter the people she let go, and then explain why it was a good idea.

I never watched Xena or Hercules, so I gotta ask: did Ted Raimi always look that irritatingly smug?

[quote name='greenMockingbird' post='1591190' date='Nov 16 2008, 22.28']I never watched Xena or Hercules, so I gotta ask: did Ted Raimi always look that irritatingly smug?[/quote]

Can he? Yes, he's always been able to.

But usually he was "OMG PANIC!" comic relief guy on Hercules/Xena.

[quote name='Shryke' post='1591218' date='Nov 16 2008, 21.01']Can he? Yes, he's always been able to.

But usually he was "OMG PANIC!" comic relief guy on Hercules/Xena.[/quote]

Yeah, didn't he like run around with a garbage pale can shield or something? He definitely always had the comic relief thing going.

This show needs Kevin Sorbo.

Something else I forgot to add above: The wizard guy is annoying to look at, let alone listen to. Like when they are all hunting a rabbit and the wizard hits it with a fireball and says "did I get it?" Hilarious.

"But Allanon (or whatever his name is), that was the only game we've seen in days!"

"Well it was going to get away."

"That's what you said about the elk yesterday."

Does elk not count as game?

[quote name='tzanth' post='1591251' date='Nov 17 2008, 13.18']A minotaur?! wtf is one of those doing in Tairy land?[/quote]
:stunned:

That was my reaction as well. Please don't tell me they're just recycling the monsters from Hercules and Xena.

I want to see Gratch.

Wait, Ted Raimi was Joxer? :stunned:

(and whoa, Bruce Campbell was his babysitter?)

[quote name='Draco the Lizard' post='1590691' date='Nov 16 2008, 09.03']I am disappointed Richard didn't get to do his swordjump this time. Did anyone see the previews for next week? There was a little boy who is supposed to be a true Listener, which seems to mean he can read people's minds. I really don't remember that from the books.[/quote]

Kind of, In [i]Stone of Tears[/i] there was a girl, whose name wasn't Min, who could see images around people and deduce their future. She worked for a mean old lady that Zedd had exiled and killed after one brief encounter. Zedd only had her killed because he instantly deduced from her mannerism she would've been an obstacle to Richard's rule. The girl-not-named-Min was never heard from again as far as I can tell.

[quote name='Watcher' post='1591282' date='Nov 17 2008, 08.40']Kind of, In [i]Stone of Tears[/i] [b]there was a girl, whose name wasn't Min, who could see images around people and deduce their future.[/b] She worked for a mean old lady that Zedd had exiled and killed after one brief encounter. Zedd only had her killed because he instantly deduced from her mannerism she would've been an obstacle to Richard's rule. [b]The girl-not-named-Min was never heard from again as far as I can tell.[/b][/quote]
Paging Keeper of the Codex.

[quote name='Exa Inova' post='1591331' date='Nov 17 2008, 06.36']Paging Keeper of the Codex.[/quote]
She showed up in Phantom after a long absence. Her purpose was to give a 20 page description of life in the camp of the Imperial Order (so that's 20 pages of nothing but rape and torture), after that she disappears and is never heard from again, iirc. Oh yeah, Jebra, that was her name, she could see the future. Her 20 pages is quickly followed by about 50 pages of the heroes talking about why the Order is bad. Fairly typical Tairy stuff.

eta: I found it amusing in this most recent episode when Zedd claimed he couldn't be that kids father due to the "magical precautions" he took. Some sort of Condom of Truth, I imagine.

My wife and I were watching something on Saturday night and during the comercial I look around to see what else is on. LOTS got an upgrade in Boston because it moved from midnight to 7pm. So I switch over during every commercial to see snippets of the cheesy gloriousness. We see the end where the woman tells Dick that she's not really his mother. I flip away and we had this conversation.

Wife: Wait, she probably just told him "I'm not your mother, I'm really your father!"
Me: No, she's not his father.
Wife: Why? Is Zedd his father.
Me: Remember when I told you this series was really poorly written and followed the typical fant....
Wife interupting: So the bad guy is the father.
Me: Exactly. And that means that Zedd must be his
Wife laughing: He's his grandfather? :rofl:

It made my night. :thumbsup:

Archived