The Legend Begins...

Andhaira

They used the [i]money[/i]?? That's possibly the lamest thing I've heard about this show yet, and that's good going considering the competition. The Personal Object locator-spell is pretty lame in itself, but at least it makes some kind of magical sense and has decent precedent in other personal-object-related magic elsewhere in literature, but MONEY? Why would it lead to BB, specifically, and not the person who paid him? Why wouldn't it just lead to Ted Raimi, who is technically now the money's owner?

I really thought Tairy's writing was the lowest possible denomination of utter fantasy nonsense. I stand corrected. :cry:

:lol: and this money had enough of a connection to BB that this worked? Was it just the last person to touch the object or something? Why did the shark tooth necklace point to Dick? BB had it in his possession before he gave it to Ted the map maker. It don't make sense.

Why am I even questioning this? Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

You know, not to defend the show, but this kind of thing isn't hard to explain:

1) The necklace _belonged_ to Richard. BB possessed it, but it wasn't "his" -- he didn't feel any ownership to it. It was just a clue to try and get at Richard. Hence, it points to Richard.
2) The money, OTOH, _belonged_ to BB. It was his money, not someone else's. Hence, it points to him.

I'm all for bashing the show on lots of legitimate grounds, but nitpicking this sort of very standard fantasy magic seems way off.

Nah. If BB had paid the money to Ted for his Dick-Map-Making services, then the money [i]belonged [/i]to Ted, just as much as the money would have previously belonged to whoever gave it to BB in the first place. Using transferrable currency in place of personal objects does not work. It's not like Ted was just holding on to the cash in case someone wanted to make a BB-tracking map; he'd accepted it as part of a business transaction, and it was his.

BTW, Zap, I wish you luck in your quest to see if fighting ability correlates to boob size, but I suspect you will be disappointed. I strongly suspect that the female casting would have been made on boob-size alone, so there are unlikely to be any small-breasted female fighters to use as a basis for comparison.

[quote name='Ran' post='1584921' date='Nov 11 2008, 11.22']You know, not to defend the show, but this kind of thing isn't hard to explain:

1) The necklace _belonged_ to Richard. BB possessed it, but it wasn't "his" -- he didn't feel any ownership to it. It was just a clue to try and get at Richard. Hence, it points to Richard.
2) The money, OTOH, _belonged_ to BB. It was his money, not someone else's. Hence, it points to him.[/quote]

But (going by the summaries) the money was paid to the mapmaker, so it didn't belong to the BB anymore. It belonged to the mapmaker. It should have made a map synced to him. Or to whoever owned it before BB. Money changes hands a lot, its hard to say it should be so attuned to the penultimate person who possessed it.

[quote]I'm all for bashing the show on lots of legitimate grounds, but nitpicking this sort of very standard fantasy magic seems way off.[/quote]
You know who always says that? Tairy. :smug:

[quote]Why am I even questioning this? Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.[/quote]

Ours is not to question why, ours is just to mock and die (my personal Lemming credo).

You know, I remember as a nerdy little kid watching "Hercules: The Legendary Journeys", and thinking "Jeez, they really butchered Greek/Roman mythology here. I wonder how many poor people will assume that these stories are valid, and go through life with the incorrect information because of Sam Raimi." [i.e, in the series, Hercules kills the Minotaur instead of Theseus].

Now that this is occuring with SoT, I can say that I'm willing to forgive Sam Raimi for his past transgressions against mythology. Just the mental image of a rabid TG fan trying to talk with someone who's only seen the show, trying to explain how the books were much better because they featured a lot more rape and moral truth.

Not to mention zany fundamentalists who let their kids read the books based on the relatively-innocuous show, and go batshit when they find out about what a rape/torture fest they've given to their children.

ETA: moral clarity

[quote name='serMountainGoat' post='1584915' date='Nov 11 2008, 09.17']:lol: and this money had enough of a connection to BB that this worked? Was it just the last person to touch the object or something? Why did the shark tooth necklace point to Dick? BB had it in his possession before he gave it to Ted the map maker. It don't make sense.

Why am I even questioning this? Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.[/quote]

They actually addressed this in the show. Raimi said that he would need something that was valuable to the bounty hunter, and Zedd said "what's more valuable to a bounty hunter than his money?".

[quote name='Tormund Midgetsbane' post='1584981' date='Nov 11 2008, 11.54']They actually addressed this in the show. Raimi said that he would need something that was valuable to the bounty hunter, and Zedd said "what's more valuable to a bounty hunter than his money?".[/quote]

Fair enough.

In fact, makes more sense than the crap in the books.

[quote name='Tormund Midgetsbane' post='1584981' date='Nov 11 2008, 12.54']They actually addressed this in the show. Raimi said that he would need something that was valuable to the bounty hunter, and Zedd said "what's more valuable to a bounty hunter than his money?".[/quote]
Bullshit has been called. Does the mapmaker make maps for free? If he didn't love money, he would have spent it on more mapmaking tchotchkes thus having no money to make a map out of. Ha, I close the magic loophole! Plus, if it was that important to the bounty hunter he would have just tortured the mapmaker into making the map. This is still Tairyland of a sort, and torture is simply a way of saying hello.

I get bonus points for my use of the word "tchotchkes". It's real, look it up!

I have no idea where people are getting the idea that this show had anything to do with the greenlight. It had "respectable" ratings, and it'll have to hold onto those ratings for a couple of episodes before its success as a show can be measured.

I guess if it had gone completely unwatched, that might have done something, but I kind of doubt it. Completely different beasts.

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1587277' date='Nov 13 2008, 10.13']Well, it's a mantra you can expect to hear coming from those "other" forums. Wait and see.[/quote]
Ha.

I doubt LoS had anything to do with ASoIaF getting the green light for the pilot. Geez, the show has only had, what, 2-3 episodes so far, hardly enough of a measure of "success."

On one hand, I am extremely pleased that a certain person was proven to be a liar with ASoIaF's HBO pilot go. :D

[quote name='Mystar']Now they have even more to be irked about. Which they will deny to their last breath, but now that LotS has shown some great ratings, HBO finally decided to get off the fence and do a pilot episode.

It only took them cowards years...they had to wait until LotS made a solid respectable showing before begrudgingly giving the ok to test out a pilot.

They went through what....?....5 script's before even getting anything to ok...Even GRRM's script was rejected and the first three were summarily rejected for lack of a plot and adhesive story line.

Don't get me wrong, I really want to see ASoIaF come to the screen I really do. I only hope they can find some theme other than incest, and rape, graphic same sex sexual scenes, and the killing innocent lil boy by tossing him off the top of a tower. Perhaps they can change the story so some character will last more than an episode. It's kind of hard to follow a story when everyone gets killed off...[/quote]

Discuss.

He never gives up, does he?

[quote]Don't get me wrong, I really want to see ASoIaF come to the screen I really do. I only hope they can find some theme other than incest, and rape, graphic same sex sexual scenes, and the killing innocent lil boy by tossing him off the top of a tower. Perhaps they can change the story so some character will last more than an episode. It's kind of hard to follow a story when everyone gets killed off...[/quote]
:lmao:

Archived