The Legend Begins...

Andhaira

[quote name='kuenjato' post='1576113' date='Nov 3 2008, 19.55']It's beautiful, IMO. The carefully crafted bubble of no-dissent no-critique suddenly pops with the "television event of the year!!!!11"[/quote]

I just don't understand it. I thought most of those Goodkind fans couldn't tolerate 'fantasy' and they were drawn to SoT because it was so original.

If you are a "true" Goodkind fan, isn't enjoying/liking/worshipping/raping this television series against your religion? It's everything they claim to hate.

Apparently if you put a Hershy's wrapper on a pile of shit, it still tastes like Hershey's to these folk.

[quote name='Zap Rowsdower' post='1575128' date='Nov 3 2008, 00.29']110: Richard jumps to her rescue (in slow mo) and kills the bad guys! They killed about 50 people just by themselves.[/quote]

Who else thinks that the "Richard leaping through the air, Sword raised high above his head (more than likely in a two handed grip) to swing it downward to mete out kick ass justice and death" is going to be his [i]signature[/i] move. Always in slow motion. Kinda like James T. Kirk and his leaping two legged kick?

I think I noticed it at least twice just in the 30 minutes I watched...

Well, I officially didn't get the last half hour. Stupid ABC and it's stupid news. Was there a game on Saturday night? Maybe it went to overtime and everything got bumped.

Well, since I can't rely on the DVR, now I'm going to have to go out of my way to watch when it's on. Grrr!

Now I must check out the infighting on the TG sites.

[quote name='Muttering Bill' post='1576982' date='Nov 4 2008, 10.02']Well, I officially didn't get the last half hour. Stupid ABC and it's stupid news. Was there a game on Saturday night? Maybe it went to overtime and everything got bumped.

Well, since I can't rely on the DVR, now I'm going to have to go out of my way to watch when it's on. Grrr!

Now I must check out the infighting on the TG sites.[/quote]

There's always iTunes! (HD or standard versions too.)

As a reader of the Goodkind books (OK, the first two) I wasn't too worried about all the changes. Some of it made sense, some of it didn't. but it's certainly watchable. I've got the pass on my dvr as there's not much else on I watch anyway.

For those worried about no Mord Sith, according to the [url="http://www.legendoftheseeker.com/episodes.html"]official site[/url] episode 8 is called "Denna". Also at the upper right corner you can input zip code and it'll tell you what time and channel its on in your area.

What about Carl? Don't tell me we aren't going to see him in the show. :(

Also I don't understand these changes; I mean Raimi made Spiderman movies AMAZING! So WTF hapened to him now? IMO from a common sense POV if you can't fdepict the crapnovels accurately dueto horrific sex/rape, then set the series during another timeframe in the world. Say maybe set 1000 years before WFR.

I couldn't even make it through half of the first hour last week. If this was ridiculous Goodkind book level crap there would at least be some entertainment value in watching an insane train wreck. But this is just generic, awful, boring crap. How could anyone think this show was a good idea?

[quote name='Moosicus' post='1582594' date='Nov 8 2008, 15.28']So is anybody watching this crap tonight? I've made other plans but I want to know how bad it was.[/quote]

I missed it Saturday but I think they're replaying it on Sunday so I'll catch it then give a brief synopsis when I have a spare moment.

I sometimes catch part of a rerun of an episode. I watch it for a bit to see if there's anything there that retains at least something of what appealed to so many people in the books. But no.

This has me worried. If this show gets low ratings, as it must, is that going to discourage other fantasy novels being filmed for television? I'm hoping that the powers-that-be understand that we'll watch well-developed fantasy - it's just the crap fantasy we don't like.

I watched it last night, mostly paying attention while reading a book. Last night was WAY worse than last week. It's hard to describe, and hopefully someone will recap all the details that made it so Yeardian. But overall, it was a "problem of the week" episode. Some blonde chick with an "ample bosom" (yes that phrase was used) convinced Richard to help save her brother. Some double crossing ensued, Kahlan was almost killed (but not raped) and everyone learned a valuable lesson about life :cheers:

[quote name='Tears of Lys' post='1583023' date='Nov 9 2008, 16.06']This has me worried. If this show gets low ratings, as it must, is that going to discourage other fantasy novels being filmed for television? I'm hoping that the powers-that-be understand that we'll watch well-developed fantasy - it's just the crap fantasy we don't like.[/quote]

Hopefully most of the powers-that-be know enough about television to know that a show being shown in a graveyard show in syndication isn't going to get good ratings. Anyway, the show is so low-profile they're probably barely aware of it.

I heard that the BBC's [i]Merlin[/i] is going to be shown on NBS in the US next year, if it's on in a primetime slot it'll probably have a much bigger impact on the perception of how popular a Fantasy TV series could be.

[quote name='williamjm' post='1583354' date='Nov 9 2008, 16.59']Hopefully most of the powers-that-be know enough about television to know that a show being shown in a graveyard show in syndication isn't going to get good ratings. Anyway, the show is so low-profile they're probably barely aware of it.

I heard that the BBC's [i]Merlin[/i] is going to be shown on NBS in the US next year, if it's on in a primetime slot it'll probably have a much bigger impact on the perception of how popular a Fantasy TV series could be.[/quote]
Yes, I'm sure the boys at HBO know that a syndicated (meaning not on a big network, nor uniformly on the same channel) fantasy show, being played in a shit timeslot, is not going to be indicative of how well a fantasy show can do. In reality channel, timeslot, and marketing are more important to ratings than actual content.

Archived