The Legend Begins...

Andhaira

[quote name='Nichole' post='1610539' date='Dec 5 2008, 15.30']Hmmm. No nambles yet. I really only want to watch once they start to be true to Tairy's vision.

BTW, are people at TG.net still loving this show?[/quote]

How would you know if they didn't? They'd be banned off the board for negativity... :P

I just checked. Oddly, there's a little more... obvious discontent at .net.

I don't really expect much, though. The show's really just boring. Occasionally they'll re-interpret something in a funny way: There was an interesting part in the last episode where Kahlan touched someone who survived the current fight. He was told to leave, but he comes back later, stalks Kahlan, and ambushes Richard because the guy thought that he was threatening Kahlan. Playing up a creepy, stalker mentality in the confessor-touched was quite novel, I thought. Probably just Unfortunate Implications, though.
Except for stuff like that, it's really kind of dull. Pare back the windy lectures, the broken Aesops, and the graphic nature of everything, and you get... smaller windy speeches, weak plot, and lots and lots of slow-mo.

Ironically, the slow-mo is probably the most faithful part of the adaptation.

I'm pretty certain it's still in production, since it had a whole season order. It is on the verge of impossible for every market showing it to drop it before that first season is done.

I caught a couple of minutes of this yesterday while channel surfing. I couldn't endure any longer than that. Not because of any obnoxious TG ideology (which didn't have time to surface in that brief window), but because of the cheap cheesiness.

It's so hard to guess when the next poorly choreographed fight scene will erupt, where an untrained woodsman will fend of 5+ armed thugs.

It reminds me of [i]The Legend Of Hercules[/i] from a few years ago.

It's fine to hate on the show, but I wonder why you guys want it to come off TV? It's pretty easy to make a correlation to the success Legend of the Seeker has been having (as a Syndicated Show) to HBO allowing the Producers to continue working on Game of Thrones. I don't think any of you can prove it otherwise, can you? So why do you wish it to be canceled?

I was a big fan of the First couple of books, but after that I fell off the series like many here. The only reason I watch this series is because it does have a little basis in the Sword of Truth series, and shit, if it helps the best fantasy series to have its own TV Show on HBO? I'll watch every f*ckin episode (oh btw, the show is in HD, so that gives me more incentive to watch it).

There's no evidence whatsoever that [i]Legend of the Seeker[/i] played any role in the approval. What proof there is against it is primarily based on supposition -- that the alleged success of a syndicated fantasy really has no relevance to HBO development executives (LotS is an episodic adventure in the Hercules/Xena style, while Game of Thrones is much more relatable to HBO programs like the Sopranos, Rome, or Deadwood.), and/or that the first week figures of a syndicated fantasy are hardly anything to base success on (since its viewership is down by 50% from its premiere, and the trades cautiond that it would take a few weeks for the show to reveal whether it was really a success or not -- which it seems to be, but a very mild sort of success rather than the roaring success it would have been if it maintained its premiere numbers), and so on.

LotS's ratings are not, by any means, grand by HBO standards. We're talking less than half what [i]True Blood[/i] gets. It's just not really anything to compare to, and I don't know as anyone needs to sacrifice themselves to watch it in the hope that its success somehow influences the success of the pilot in getting the show picked up for a season.

Obviously, if you like watching it, you like watching it.

[quote name='MethodMan' post='1611794' date='Dec 7 2008, 11.42']It's fine to hate on the show, but I wonder why you guys want it to come off TV? It's pretty easy to make a correlation to the success Legend of the Seeker has been having (as a Syndicated Show) to HBO allowing the Producers to continue working on Game of Thrones. I don't think any of you can prove it otherwise, can you? So why do you wish it to be canceled?

I was a big fan of the First couple of books, but after that I fell off the series like many here. The only reason I watch this series is because it does have a little basis in the Sword of Truth series, and shit, if it helps the best fantasy series to have its own TV Show on HBO? I'll watch every f*ckin episode (oh btw, the show is in HD, so that gives me more incentive to watch it).[/quote]
I really don't understand why people persist in believing that the ratings of a syndicated show in a non-primetime time slot would affect the decisions made concerning an HBO project. The [i]only[/i] thing these two shows have in common is a veneer of fantasy, and I really don't think TV execs are so stupid as to believe that the success of one show will determine the success of the other based on nothing more than this shared veneer.

[quote name='Myshkin' post='1612082' date='Dec 7 2008, 18.36']I really don't understand why people persist in believing that the ratings of a syndicated show in a non-primetime time slot would affect the decisions made concerning an HBO project. The [i]only[/i] thing these two shows have in common is a veneer of fantasy, and I really don't think TV execs are so stupid as to believe that the success of one show will determine the success of the other based on nothing more than this shared veneer.[/quote]
I've been saying for years that [i]Dr. Who[/i] is going to be cancelled because [i]Cleopatra: 2525[/i] was.

[quote name='Lord O' Bones' post='1612091' date='Dec 7 2008, 21.43']I've been saying for years that [i]Dr. Who[/i] is going to be cancelled because [i]Cleopatra: 2525[/i] was.[/quote]

And yet Cleopatra 2525 wouldn't have existed without Dr. Who...because, you know, the years long longevity of a British sci-fi show couldn't have helped create more shows across the television universe...what a paradox...

You guys are right, the show probably has nothing to do with ASOIAF, mb lol

Anyways, here's a spoiler for Episode 8, entitled Denna. Actually, it sounds like it will be a pretty good episode:

SPOILER: Episode 8 Denna

I managed to watch an advanced copy of 'Denna' (which really, amounted to an intense load of flailing amd 'OMG'ing before I finally sat down to watch it). Keep in mind that the version I'm describing is basically the raw cut, I believe it's still in the editing stage and the CGI/Music/re-dubbing haven't been done yet. But the storyline is there. The episode's airing in a month, or something.

There are two (or three depending on how you see it) plotlines in the episode:
A) Richard/Kahlan
B) Denna (duh.)
C) Another Confessor misusing her powers

In the 'Previously on...', we learn that Darken Rahl has sent (Demmin) Nass to be in charge of this operation. And Shota tells Richard that 'the one in white' will betray him, which gets Kahlan all shocked.

Opening scene:
Denna suiting up. HELL YEAH.
i) Yes, it is Jessica Marais. (at least I believe so)
ii) Dominatrix blood-red leather? Check.
iii) Agiel? Check. (a little thicker than I thought though, but well.)
iv) Kick-ass 'tude? Check.

Nass comes in and gets all hissy fit-like going 'the Seeker's being tracking me and (wait for it) looking for the Box of Orden' (cue me spazzing). Denna goes 'surely you can kill one man.' and Nass tells her to capture the Seeker and train him. And Denna gets all happy and smug.

-TITLE CARD-

Plotline A:
- Richard, Kahlan and Zedd are walking through a forest. Zedd gets shot by an arrow. Kahlan stabs and kills Richard.

- Turns out she's having a epic nightmare. Richard wakes her up.

- The moment becomes really cheesy. They kiss. Kahlan protests. Richard looks rejected.

- Next morning, she leaves. She says that the Confessors have gone into hiding (WHUT WHUT NOOOO) but there's one in the village nearby she'll get that one to help Richard.

Plotline B:
- Richard and Zedd are walking through a forest. D'Harans come (scene wasn't inserted yet, so basically it was a black screen with the words: D'Harans jump out from behind tree? D'Haran attacks towards camera?)

- Richard fights them off while Zedd stands looking like he doesn't have powers that can incinerate a man alive or something.

- Cue dramatic music and Zedd whispering 'MORD-SITH!' and Denna and Constance and a few other D'Haran guards do the dramatic walk up sequence.

- Denna uses the Agiel on Richard. Zedd teleports away.

- Richard's in chains hanging from the ceiling, feet barely touching the ground and sweaty and shirtless (yay for fangirl service). Denna says 'you may call me Mistress Denna' and he's like 'TELL ME WHERE MY FRIENDS ARE' and he gets backhanded.

- Denna tells him what the Mord-sith do (the whole I-capture-your-magic-with-my-awesumz-Agiel spiel) and that she's meant to train Richard to get him to swear allegiance to Rahl in front of the people at the People's Palace.

- Richard gets thrown into a dungeon, where he meets an old dude called Benedict, who tells him how Mord-sith are created (because his daughter was captured, you all should know the Mord-sith backstory anyway). Mehhhh I wanted him to continue hanging from the ceiling unable to rest ala the books. But well, for plot's sake, I'll bear with it. Anyway, Richard gets his savior-complex on and says he'll fight the guards when they come in next and Ben can escape and save his daughter or whatnot.

- Next scene, he does exactly that. But Benedict doesn't run away. Denna chatises Richard. Turns out Ben is under Denna's influence. He acts really Gollum-ish at some parts btw. Denna did that to show Richard the futility of escape.

Plotline C: (aka where the purist in me gets nitpicky)
- Kahlan is walking through a forest (for the fanboys, yes there's bosom the entire episode, be happy. Also, notice every plotline starts with someone walking through a forest?). She meets a bunch of guys and gets taken to the Confessor.

- She persuades the friend (Laura) to take the job. LAURA WEARS WHITE. WHUT. They switch jobs (Kahlan becomes the moral authority of the village, Laura's now the Seeker's Confessor).

- Laura tells them people and the villagers look pissed but they say they'll obey her orders and they kowtow. And Kahlan's all 'OMG THEY ARE BOWING WHY ARE THEY BOWING WHAT DID YOU DO TO THEM THESE PEOPLE SHOULD NOT BE BOWING!' and apparently Laura has Confessed all of them so they're loyal and ~living without fear~. Meanwhile, I seethe inwardly. Zedd appears asking for help.

- Zedd tells them what will happen to Richard. Kahlan gets all angry and sad but unfortunately not Con-dar-ish. I am displeased. Anyway, Laura says she can command the villagers to fight. Kahlan doesn't want to. Zedd doesn't mind though.

Okay, the rest of the episode in order.

- Richard's dreaming that he's kissing Kahlan on some sunlit beach somewhere. Denna pokes him out of it (not with the Agiel). Then she tortures him into telling her who the girl (Kahlan) is. She kills Richard because he doesn't.

- And apparently Mord-sith have a power called 'the breath of life' that enables them to revive someone from the dead. Okay. Richard revives. He tells her about Kahlan. She tells him what Kahlan can do (she actually knows who Kahlan is).

- Constance comes in to train Richard. Denna tells him to create a refuge in his mind, but think of her instead of Kahlan.

- Next scene: he's on some chaise, after another training session. He looks at the Agiel and Denna dares him to touch it. He does and screams. She tells him about the Agiel hurting everyone who's been trained with it.

- Meanwhile, Laura's commanding her village. Kahlan tells them to give her an hour. She'll try to get in and remind him that he's the Seeker. They say okay. Zedd bearhugs her.

- Richard asks Denna to let Constance train him. You all know what happens right? It's kinda like in the books. Except she gets interupted and told that Kahlan's there.

- Oh look, Kahlan in her white dress. Denna says the guards can kill Laura and the spell will be broken (NO WHUT WHUT WHUT WRONG).

- Kahlan throws the dagger at Denna who evades it. Richard grabs the Agiel and uses it on Kahlan. Kahlan collapses. Denna is a proud momma.

- Somehow they get stuffed in adjoining cells with a little door that they can talk through face-to-face. I suspend disbelief for the time-being. At least it's not as wtf as the lock being on the inside in ep3. Richard wants to be Confessed, Kahlan freaks out and says no. Richard gets all sappy and says he'd rather be her slave than Denna's.

- Laura is shot by the guards. The villagers run away. So much for that plan.

- Denna tells Richard to kill Kahlan. Richard resists. Richard fights the D'Harans, and Kahlan/Denna girlfight, random hair-pulling alert. Kahlan fights like she doesn't have any powers she can use or something. Denna uses the Agiel on her. Obviously, Denna wins the fight.

- Richard kills Denna with the SoT. Richard and Kahlan flounce off (offscreen haha).

- At night, Kahlan says she's afraid if she told the truth Richard will be afraid of her and admits she loves Richard. (I swear some Aragorn/Arwen theme from the LOTR soundtrack is playing in the background.) They decide to bury those feelings and get on with the mission. Actually Kahlan decides, Richard has no choice but to agree.

-Constance finds dead!Denna. Calls her Mistress (huh?). And breath-of-life-s her. Denna is alive! Yay!

-END EPISODE-

You know, I REALLY hate to say this, but the bit with Denna and the Mord Sith was better in the book than in the episode if I'm going purely by those spoilers. But hey, at least in the tv series it won't be one big BDSM fantasy from the author that we have to sit through.

As for the latest episode, meh. At least it introduced Shota, who is on her own side and will only help Richard so long as he can kill Darken Rahl, but she still decides that the best way to avoid Richard getting killed by Demmin Nass (who is not a pedophile but he does have a facial scar) is to cast a spell that makes it look like some merchant son who is a Seeker fanboy is Richard, while it makes Richard look like the merchant son, so that the merchant son can get killed instead of Richard. Shota doesn't do logic, I guess. She also has some man-servant who tries to attack Richard, but this obviously fails. Nothing about the man-servant being a former Seeker was mentioned and the man-servant wasn't interested in the Sword of Truth, so I'm guessing that plotline will be ignored.

And Shota told Richard that Kahlan will betray him. I thought that in the book it was just a 'someone close to you will betray you' so that there was at least the question of it being Zedd or Kahlan, but now we know from the start that it'll be Kahlan.

It only beats last week's episode because this time at least there was no DRUGS ARE BAD NEVER DO DRUGS UNLESS YOU ARE BORN WITH THEM message this time.

[quote name='Arbor Gold' post='1612263' date='Dec 8 2008, 03.22']It's after midnight on Sunday, and I'm watching this show. It's fucking hilarious. Like a Sci-fi channel original movie, but worse. Disclaimer: I have not read the books, so I'm just here for entertainment.[/quote]

Well done AG. Well done. :)

Every once in a while (usually late at night) I'm channel-surfing and come across the show. The five or six times this has happened I've stopped and watched for a minute or two and every freaking time I've watched, swear to jeebus, Richard has been captured. There can't be that many episodes out yet, but each time the scene is him in some sort of captivity, which quickly cuts to a slow-motion scene of Kahlan sword-fighting.

This leaves me with just one burning question: WTF?

[quote name='awesome possum' post='1612699' date='Dec 8 2008, 13.33']Every once in a while (usually late at night) I'm channel-surfing and come across the show. The five or six times this has happened I've stopped and watched for a minute or two and every freaking time I've watched, swear to jeebus, Richard has been captured. There can't be that many episodes out yet, but each time the scene is him in some sort of captivity, which quickly cuts to a slow-motion scene of Kahlan sword-fighting.

This leaves me with just one burning question: WTF?[/quote]

Now, this is actually true to the source material. Kahlan occasionally got captured too, but Richard? Every freaking book. Sometimes that was the entire plot of the book, sometimes just a 100 page digression into S&M. But still, all the time. So chalk one up for faithful adaptations, I guess.

Nah I found em at another Sword of Truth Forum.

There's been a lot of fans getting pretty upset at the way they are making this show. Supposedly Terry thought Sam Raimi was going to have a bigger role in the production, but Disney said no to that. Also, the way for these writers to make money is by adding new things to source material, so everytime there's a new story line that is nothing from the book, I guess the writers make more money. What a bunch of bullshit lol. First book was fine, wish I could see it on TV... meh

[quote name='MethodMan' post='1613327' date='Dec 8 2008, 22.51']Nah I found em at another Sword of Truth Forum.

There's been a lot of fans getting pretty upset at the way they are making this show. Supposedly Terry thought Sam Raimi was going to have a bigger role in the production, but Disney said no to that. Also, the way for these writers to make money is by adding new things to source material, so everytime there's a new story line that is nothing from the book, I guess the writers make more money. What a bunch of bullshit lol. First book was fine, wish I could see it on TV... meh[/quote]
If Terry thought Sam Raimi was going to be involved in any serious way, he's more delusional that we thought.

Let's see... work on Spider man 4 & 5 and make tons of money, or work on a syndicated tv show that's a rip off of something he did 10 years ago that'll make pennies...

[quote name='MethodMan' post='1612256' date='Dec 8 2008, 10.11']Anyways, here's a spoiler for Episode 8, entitled Denna. Actually, it sounds like it will be a pretty good episode:
-snip-[/quote]

How entertaining! :lol:

[quote]Now, this is actually true to the source material. Kahlan occasionally got captured too, but Richard? Every freaking book. Sometimes that was the entire plot of the book, sometimes just a 100 page digression into S&M. But still, all the time. So chalk one up for faithful adaptations, I guess.[/quote]

You know, that's fairly accurate.

I'm still torn about this show. It is so hilariously bad it's a shame I don't have the opportunity to waste my time and my braincells by watching it.

Archived