Weather Thread

add-on

Seems another SoCal weather report is in order.

* Today: Sunny. High near 75F. Winds NNE at 10 to 15 mph.
* Tonight: Mostly clear. Low around 50F. Winds ENE at 5 to 10 mph.
* Tomorrow: A mainly sunny sky. High 73F. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph.
* Tomorrow night: Clear skies. Low 49F. Winds light and variable.
* Sunday: Sunshine. Highs in the mid 70s and lows in the low 50s.
* Monday: A few clouds. Highs in the upper 70s and lows in the low 50s.
* Tuesday: Sunny. Highs in the low 70s and lows in the low 50s.

Enjoy.

Wait there is a Weather Advisory for SoCal.

...HIGH SURF ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM SATURDAY TO 2 PM PST MONDAY...

A HIGH SURF ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM SATURDAY TO 2 PM PST MONDAY.

THE SURF WILL INCREASE THIS WEEKEND THROUGH MONDAY. THE SURF IS FORECAST TO BE 5 TO 7 FEET WITH SETS TO 8 FEET SATURDAY...THEN 5 TO 8 FEET WITH SETS TO 10 FEET ON SUNDAY INTO MONDAY...DECREASING TUESDAY.

THE LARGER WAVES WILL AFFECT JETTIES AND ENTRANCES TO BAYS AND HARBORS AND MAY AFFECT SOME PIERS.

A HIGH SURF ADVISORY MEANS THAT HIGH SURF WILL AFFECT BEACHES IN THE ADVISORY AREA...PRODUCING VERY STRONG RIP CURRENTS AND LOCALIZED BEACH EROSION

Sweet!

Dude...really?

This is what I have to deal with these days:

Fair
Feels Like:2°
Barometer:30.32 in and rising
Humidity:67%
Visibility:10 mi
Dewpoint:-5°
Wind:SW 6 mph
Sunrise:7:19 am
Sunset:4:47 pm

Today: Partly cloudy this morning. A few snow showers developing during the afternoon. Very cold. High 11F. Winds W at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of snow 30%

I hate this place.

YW

[quote name='daremo' post='1651255' date='Jan 16 2009, 09.16']Seems another SoCal weather report is in order.

* Today: Sunny. High near 75F. Winds NNE at 10 to 15 mph.
* Tonight: Mostly clear. Low around 50F. Winds ENE at 5 to 10 mph.
* Tomorrow: A mainly sunny sky. High 73F. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph.
* Tomorrow night: Clear skies. Low 49F. Winds light and variable.
* Sunday: Sunshine. Highs in the mid 70s and lows in the low 50s.
* Monday: A few clouds. Highs in the upper 70s and lows in the low 50s.
* Tuesday: Sunny. Highs in the low 70s and lows in the low 50s.

Enjoy.

Wait there is a Weather Advisory for SoCal.

...HIGH SURF ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM SATURDAY TO 2 PM PST MONDAY...

Sweet![/quote]

When your house is burning because of the dry weather I shall feel no pity. But I may send marshmellows.

It was -17 F on the way into work this morning. I don't want to even think about what that felt like with windchill with windchill taken into account. The heater fan on my van has gone out and will cost something like $700 to replace, mostly because chrystler in their wisdom decided to put it in such a spot that one has to take apart the dash to get at the damned thing. Not money we really want to spend on an older vehicle. So while the car warms up slowly it is not goign to get comfortable in this kind of brutal cold. I wore several pairs of socks but still, I'm only now getting full feeling back in my toes.

[quote name='Jaime M' post='1650741' date='Jan 15 2009, 21.05']You know it's going to be even colder tomorrow night?

It's like a DC winter all of a sudden has teeth.[/quote]

Yea, I hear ya. This morning I did my normal routine of get a shower, throw some clothes on, and bolt out the door becuase I'm late. I had to park my car on the next block over last night becuase I got home later than usual. When I got in the truck I reached up and felt my hair (still a little wet from the shower)... and it was frozen! I couldnt have been outside more than 3 minutes. All I could do was laugh like an insane person.

[quote name='Young Wolf' post='1651259' date='Jan 16 2009, 08.21']Dude...really?

This is what I have to deal with these days:

Fair
Feels Like:2°
Barometer:30.32 in and rising
Humidity:67%
Visibility:10 mi
Dewpoint:-5°
Wind:SW 6 mph
Sunrise:7:19 am
Sunset:4:47 pm

Today: Partly cloudy this morning. A few snow showers developing during the afternoon. Very cold. High 11F. Winds W at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of snow 30%

I hate this place.

YW[/quote]
Bah. East Coast pansy.

[quote name='Ser Stubby' post='1651331' date='Jan 16 2009, 07.40']42C here today.
Bloody Hell I wish I was in the northern hemisphere again. Even in Thailand last week it was cooler than here.....[/quote]

Where are you these days? Perth isn't THAT hot in summer, is it?

Guest thebadlady
[quote name='Annelise' post='1651338' date='Jan 16 2009, 09.47']They cancelled school today, due to cold. I feel bad sending the dog outside to pee.[/quote]

We haven't had school for most of the week and my brother is at wits end because his dog WON'T go outside to pee. She seems to prefer peeing behind a chair rather than making peesicles outside.

I went to have a beer with my dad (beer kept in the heated garage, but not in the beer frigerater) and when we opened the bottles, BAM! They froze instantly and gysiered frozen beer. It was like a bad movie.

[quote name='thebadlady' post='1651615' date='Jan 16 2009, 13.26']We haven't had school for most of the week and my brother is at wits end because his dog WON'T go outside to pee. She seems to prefer peeing behind a chair rather than making peesicles outside.[/quote]

My dachshund has developed a unique move for the bone-chilling paw-freezing cold. He jumps outside, plants his front feet and does a 360 degree spin with his hind end. During this spin he totally lets go of his bladder [i]and [/i]bowels, leaving an arc of pee and poo in the snow. As he is doing this spin of bodily function, he starts barking letting us know that by the time his spin is complete he is ready to come inside immediately.

[quote name='Ixodes' post='1651636' date='Jan 16 2009, 13.41']My dachshund has developed a unique move for the bone-chilling paw-freezing cold. He jumps outside, plants his front feet and does a 360 degree spin with his hind end. During this spin he totally lets go of his bladder [i]and [/i]bowels, leaving an arc of pee and poo in the snow. As he is doing this spin of bodily function, he starts barking letting us know that by the time his spin is complete he is ready to come inside immediately.[/quote]
Ahhhhh! thankfully I'd swallowed my coffee before reading this! Too, too funny!

Sometimes I think about getting a dog with a lot of fur, like a Newf or something, so it can get through the winter here, but what the hell would the poor thing do at +30C?

That Dach should teach that to my dad's terrier mix. He's very distressed by the cold, and it's still in positive numbers there.

Also, the heavy fur on Newfies and Akitas and such insulates them from the heat as much as the cold. It's like people wearing long sleeves and pants in summer. It keeps the sun directly off the skin, pulls moisture away, etc. Our dogs, in the summer, go back and forth all the time. They'll spend a while outside, then come in for a while. The last thing you want to do is shave a naturally heavy coat; it exposes the skin to sunburn.

Oh, and south central AZ here. Highs in the low 70s or so (at least that's what the house warms up to when I leave the door open). Lots and lots of sun. Overnight lows in the 50ish range. Early December we had a couple of light freezes overnight (we're not in the city where the concrete keeps everything warm).

[quote name='Lord O' Bones' post='1650918' date='Jan 15 2009, 21.14']I had to roll down my sleeves and tuck in my shirt just now when I went out for a cigarette. Brrr![/quote]
To be honest, I'm getting a bit tired of this heat and sunshine. I want rain and [s]cold[/s] chilly. This weather makes me feel like I have to go outside and, like, do stuff instead of just curl up on my sofa and veg out.

[quote name='Arbor Gold' post='1651689' date='Jan 16 2009, 12.10']To be honest, I'm getting a bit tired of this heat and sunshine. I want rain and [s]cold[/s] chilly. This weather makes me feel like I have to go outside and, like, do stuff instead of just curl up on my sofa and veg out.[/quote]
:lol: True. I'm fighting the urge by watching the all day BSG marathon. And we could really use the rain. In fact, I usually prefer a rainy day over a sunny day anyway. I'm weird I guess. But I look at my contributions to this thread as a public service. When our freezing brothers and sisters out there come to this thread all cold and miserable, they can read my post and warm their blood with hate. No thanks necessary. :grouphug:

[quote name='DesertWolf' post='1651674' date='Jan 16 2009, 14.01']Also, the heavy fur on Newfies and Akitas and such insulates them from the heat as much as the cold. It's like people wearing long sleeves and pants in summer. It keeps the sun directly off the skin, pulls moisture away, etc. Our dogs, in the summer, go back and forth all the time. They'll spend a while outside, then come in for a while. The last thing you want to do is shave a naturally heavy coat; it exposes the skin to sunburn.[/quote]
That's good to know. Not sure I could cope with Newf fur and drool everywhere, though.

[quote name='Lord O' Bones' post='1651715' date='Jan 16 2009, 14.26']:lol: True. I'm fighting the urge by watching the all day BSG marathon. And we could really use the rain. In fact, I usually prefer a rainy day over a sunny day anyway. I'm weird I guess. But I look at my contributions to this thread as a public service. When our freezing brothers and sisters out there come to this thread all cold and miserable, they can read my post and warm their blood with hate. No thanks necessary. :grouphug:[/quote]
Bastard. *blows an icy kiss your way*

Archived