Weather Thread

add-on

[quote name='Jaime M' post='1646390' date='Jan 12 2009, 18.25']Saw a couple snow flurries the other day.

Then stepped out of the road before the inevitable 27 car pile up.[/quote]
Just had a 59 car pile up in S NH near my parents house.

yeah...tired of the snow, ice, cold, snow...yet during the summer, I always find myself saying " but I like the change of seasons"...it's quite possible my ex's are right and I am an idiot.

[quote name='Brady' post='1646457' date='Jan 12 2009, 18.55']I think the thing I love most about summer is the old fellas who pass me when I'm doing yardwork, lathered in sweat, and they nod knowingly and say "Hot enough for ya?"

Sometimes I hear it two or three times a day. It never gets old.[/quote]

:lol: Or "when ya done there you can come do my yard if ya like" with a wink that takes their whole upper body to give. love it.

[quote]Snowmobiling, hunting, trapping, ice fishing. It's all good. I hardly even drive an automobile in winter but because this one has been so warm there's no ice. It ain't fair I tells ya. I'll gladly take any cold weather you people want to send my way.[/quote]

What I love about Winter, is the gas heater on. laying on the couch under a nice warm doona. with a cuppa and an awesome book... or movie. Winter is the best time for reading IMO

I hated having to get up at 3am and walk to work in winter. It's a killer having to leave a cosy warm bed. But I have never had to deal with ice cold snow mornings.

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1646328' date='Jan 12 2009, 14.46']You could have lied to us and said there was at least a single cloud in the sky that blocked out the sun for about fifteen seconds in the middle of the afternoon...[/quote]
But...that would be lying, and nobody ever lies on the internets, right?

I have to go to Chicago next week and I was pretty scared even before I saw this thread - now I'm terrified and trying to figure out ways to bail. When I volunteered to go I forgot that it was the middle of fucking January. :(

[quote name='Tyria' post='1646481' date='Jan 12 2009, 20.09']Hmm...I disagree. Although I wasn't born here, I grew up in Atlantic Canada, and I would be deliriously happy if the temperature never got below 10C. I hate the cold. I hate the snow. I hate the ice. I hate the nipple shattering wind chills. Fuck winter. Fuck it all to hell.

We had about 20cms of snow yesterday*, which was a bitch to get home from work in, and we're expecting about the same again on Wednesday. Boo.[/quote]

I avoided going outside yesterday. It was a good decision. Of course, now I have a full week of classes and you can be sure as hell that my University will not be closing its doors. Even if they did for some reason decide to cancel classes at Upper Campus, I'm sure it wouldn't apply to us.

[quote]*Warning! Rant ahead! The higher up muckity schmucks would never dream of closing the University on the weekend. It probably didn't look so bad from their warm cozy living rooms. They don't have to get home in it. I sent two of my staff home, because they live a ways out of the city, so it was just two of us all day.

I guess it will take another staff member to die trying to get to work. Yes, this actually happened about two years ago. The buses stopped running because of bad weather, and no one thought to call a mentally challenged guy who worked as a cleaner. He walked to work from the West End, which is at least an hour and a half walk on a good day. He froze to death in a snow bank about 10 minutes from campus. His family never even got an apology, probably due to fear of being sued. Classy.[/quote]

:stunned:

I don't have any words for that. As an aside, Metro Transit SUCKS.

[quote name='add-on' post='1646296' date='Jan 12 2009, 17.35']Apparently, a [url="http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/01/possible-blizzard-bitter-cold-in-forecast.html"]blizzard[/url] is on its way to Chicago.[/quote]

What?! Is that going to hit us too?

*Goes to check the weather*

No blizzard warning, just an advisory - guess we're due to get 2-5 inches, with some wind and bitterly cold temps. Bah, we just had a storm this past Saturday that dropped 8 inches. Snow can be fun, but there's no redeeming quality to bitter cold and wind. Freakin' wind storm is what knocked our power out for 2 days a couple weeks ago.

[quote name='add-on' post='1646296' date='Jan 12 2009, 17.35']Apparently, a [url="http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/01/possible-blizzard-bitter-cold-in-forecast.html"]blizzard[/url] is on its way to Chicago.

Thank god Daley caved on the snow plow thing. We would be seriously fucked otherwise.

So, how's the weather by you?[/quote]

I'm in Chicago, so... take a guess.

This is rather shitty, and made worse by the fact that I'll have to do a lot of walking tomorrow. I'll be going to a college in the city for a few classes, and it's a mile away from the nearest train stop. And yes, walking a mile is faster than waiting for the slow-ass CTA bus.

[quote name='Arbor Gold' post='1646546' date='Jan 12 2009, 20.58']But...that would be lying, and nobody ever lies on the internets, right?

I have to go to Chicago next week and I was pretty scared even before I saw this thread - now I'm terrified and trying to figure out ways to bail. When I volunteered to go I forgot that it was the middle of fucking January. :([/quote]

That's NEXT week. We should be dug out by then... :P

[quote name='Aemon Stark' post='1646555' date='Jan 12 2009, 21.15']I avoided going outside yesterday. It was a good decision. Of course, now I have a full week of classes and you can be sure as hell that my University will not be closing its doors. Even if they did for some reason decide to cancel classes at Upper Campus, I'm sure it wouldn't apply to us.[/quote]

Yeah, Dal doesn't like to close either. I betcha old Tom Traves doesn't venture out to work on stormy days, even though he lives across the street from campus on Oxford. I'm lucky I don't have class there on Wednesdays this semester. Plus, I have the cold from hell, so I can get away with calling in sick from work and avoid the storm that day. Always gotta look at the upside, heh.

[quote]Metro Transit SUCKS.[/quote]

It does suck. Bad. I left the car home that day, because I don't like driving in that much snow. Even though I only live near the Commons, so it's not far. The buses were messed up, and mine only runs every hour on Sunday's. I could have waited forever huddled in the bus shelter. Luckily, a colleague at the Killam gets off the same time as me, and he came down and picked me up and drove me home in his SUV.

[quote name='Arbor Gold' post='1646309' date='Jan 12 2009, 14.38']'Bout 70 degrees and sunny.[/quote]
(about 21C, mustn't forget to gloat at the Eurocommies too)

[quote name='S John' post='1646408' date='Jan 12 2009, 15.32']I hope at least half of them are from California, some suffering will do them good after thier warm weather smugness. :)[/quote]
Our uppance has come! As night has fallen, the temperature has plunged into the high sixties and I [i]had to put on a flannel shirt.[/i]

[quote name='Tyria' post='1646639' date='Jan 12 2009, 22.37']Yeah, Dal doesn't like to close either. I betcha old Tom Traves doesn't venture out to work on stormy days, even though he lives across the street from campus on Oxford. I'm lucky I don't have class there on Wednesdays this semester. Plus, I have the cold from hell, so I can get away with calling in sick from work and avoid the storm that day. Always gotta look at the upside, heh.[/quote]

I'm just thankful that I won't have to venture much farther than the VG on Wednesday. Hiking to the Infirmary in a snowstorm is not fun, particularly when I have to carry around my stuff with me all afternoon there. What is it with this province and its overabundance of weather?

[quote]It does suck. Bad. I left the car home that day, because I don't like driving in that much snow. Even though I only live near the Commons, so it's not far. The buses were messed up, and mine only runs every hour on Sunday's. I could have waited forever huddled in the bus shelter. Luckily, a colleague at the Killam gets off the same time as me, and he came down and picked me up and drove me home in his SUV.[/quote]

In November I had to go to Cole Harbour to visit a newborn and his family (fortunately not by myself!). Getting there took about an hour, but the return trip took about two, including 40 minutes waiting at a bus stop in the dark in the outermost part of the "Dark Side" and then having to take the ferry because said bus route ceased going over the bridge an hour earlier. We'll have to go through this again in the next month.

(I'm enjoying this Hali-talk!)

[quote name='Lord O' Bones' post='1646698' date='Jan 12 2009, 19.44'](about 21C, mustn't forget to gloat at the Eurocommies too)

Our uppance has come! As night has fallen, the temperature has plunged into the high sixties and I [i]had to put on a flannel shirt.[/i][/quote]

Lesbian!

I vaguely remember what this snow shit you're talking about looks like. I see some for a couple of days every 3 or 4 years. :P

It's been uncharacteristically rainy over the past three weeks. Not that I'm complaining -much- because we've had what amounted to a five or six year drought season and we had practically ran out of drinking water, so I guess rain is good. It's icky though. It's also cold.. but not as cold as other places.

[quote name='Lord of the North' post='1646693' date='Jan 13 2009, 05.39']I heard this afternoon they are predicting -30 Celsius this week ...[/quote]

:stunned: Yeah, definitely not as cold as other places.

I wouldn't mind not going above -20C all week so much, except that the snow came in mid-November and the cold came in December. Normally it doesn't get really bad, cold-temp-wise, until just after Christmas; instead it's been weeks and weeks of hard winter. :( Lows below -30C every night this week.

So far in January we haven't reached +10°C, right now it's +6°C or +7°C, but I expect it to fall, hovering above and below the freezing point for the next few days. A week ago we had something like -8°C which is extremely low around here (the next day it was +5°C).

Other than that it somewhat rainy here at the moment with 68 mm yesterday.

Though we had someone from the board visiting in December from England and she wore shorts, it HAS been quite cold for us here so far this winter.

It actually dipped below freezing once or twice.

:leaving:

Archived