Weather Thread

add-on

I temporarily lost my dog this morning. It was my turn to let her out (and she woke up at something like 4.30 am) so, I go padding downstairs in my birthday suit. I'm standing at the kitchen door, holding it open with my teeth chattering when I've noticed that the dog jumped off the porch and into a snow drift. Poor thing was doing the swimmy-thing trying to get out, but dammit if I was going out to rescue her. Hubby was NOT happy when I snuggled my frozen ass up next to him when I crawled back into bed.

[quote name='Bronn Stone' post='1651561' date='Jan 17 2009, 03.54']Where are you these days? Perth isn't THAT hot in summer, is it?[/quote]

Still in Perth. We get quite a few days over 40C. I remember a stinking hot New Years's Day 10 years ago when it was 47C. At least we've had a cool change today - the forecast is for 36C and its quite nice outside since I've got out of bed.

[quote name='Angalin' post='1651725' date='Jan 16 2009, 13.31']That's good to know. Not sure I could cope with Newf fur and drool everywhere, though.[/quote]

Newfies do take a special kind of self-punishing dog owner. I've got fur, but no drool (except for when they attack me after getting a drink).

[quote name='Ser Stubby' post='1651984' date='Jan 16 2009, 15.45']Still in Perth. We get quite a few days over 40C. I remember a stinking hot New Years's Day 10 years ago when it was 47C. At least we've had a cool change today - the forecast is for 36C and its quite nice outside since I've got out of bed.[/quote]

I thought Perth more temperate in the summers. With 35C being a really hot day. I thought the 40C days were more Darwin weather. Always good to learn something new.

47C sounds dreadful. 47C with a hangover, even worse.

[quote name='Bronn Stone' post='1652084' date='Jan 17 2009, 11.05']I thought Perth more temperate in the summers. With 35C being a really hot day. I thought the 40C days were more Darwin weather. Always good to learn something new.

47C sounds dreadful. 47C with a hangover, even worse.[/quote]

Heh. We were working on the hangover that day - we went to the track for the biggest local race of the year (the Perth Cup) and could not (due to the heat) get drunk!

35C Is a realtively nice day at this time of the year. 35C in March sucks arse as it is more humid by then.

[quote name='Knight of the Wineskin' post='1652274' date='Jan 16 2009, 23.40']Fuck all y'all southern-hemisphere fuckers. And Californians.[/quote]
I'm going out on the porch to have a cig. Am I foolish to just go out there in my T-shirt? Or should I wear a hat as well? :devil:

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Callum' post='1663809' date='Jan 27 2009, 08.18']41C (106 F) today, with the same or similar expected for close to a week. It's just unfortunate that I burn as soon as I step into sunlight...[/quote]

Vampire???

[quote name='snake' post='1663862' date='Jan 27 2009, 09.06']Vampire???[/quote]

No silly, vampires [i]sparkle[/i] in the sun.

It's a glorious 16F here. Light snow. I'm going x-country skiing on my lunch hour. :)

Worse than living in a place where it snows all the time is living in a place where it only snows sometimes.... and then throwing hundreds of thousands of clueless motorists onto snow-dusted roads.

I swear to Christ, I work no more than 13 miles from where I live, it was an hour and a half drive to get here this morning. Great, I get to stay an hour later today! I think it might have snowed an inch, [i]maybe[/i]. The roads werent covered and I could still see grass poking out, yet nobody could manage to go faster than 11 mph. Unbelievable. Up in the mountains people manage faster than 11 in the snow on two lane curvy roads, with questionable looking guard rails.. and theyve probably had a couple beers too. I can't wait til I get off work so I can do it again!

[quote name='S John' post='1663931' date='Jan 27 2009, 10.00']Worse than living in a place where it snows all the time is living in a place where it only snows sometimes.... and then throwing hundreds of thousands of clueless motorists onto snow-dusted roads.

I swear to Christ, I work no more than 13 miles from where I live, it was an hour and a half drive to get here this morning. Great, I get to stay an hour later today! I think it might have snowed an inch, [i]maybe[/i]. The roads werent covered and I could still see grass poking out, yet nobody could manage to go faster than 11 mph. Unbelievable. Up in the mountains people manage faster than 11 in the snow on two lane curvy roads, with questionable looking guard rails.. and theyve probably had a couple beers too. I can't wait til I get off work so I can do it again![/quote]

I complain about this frequently to my coworkers. Even the slightest hint of dust in the sky and all hell breaks loose.

I actually slid into a car in front of me today. I was going maybe 5 mph but I was on a hill and I guess the slope was just too steep for my brakes. Thankfully there was no damage and the other driver was really cool about it.

Well, you guys live in DC -- home to (by general consensus) the worst drivers in the United States. Some of the more terrifying moments of my life involve the Beltway. :stunned:

Minus nine this morning -- yet the house stayed 60F all night and the greenhouse was 72 when I got up. Schweet. Free heat fer ebrybuddy.

Archived