Weather Thread

add-on

[quote name='Young Wolf' post='1664142' date='Jan 27 2009, 12.11']Its a lovely 19f here today...and we're supposed to get anywhere from 5" to a foot of snow tomorrow...depending on who's weather report you're reading.

Just when I thought we were past all this snow biz...YARGH![/quote]

Dub, didn't you know that Jan and Feb are the worst months for snow? It's true.

It snowed in DC today - first time ever that I've seen any accumulation here. I'm pretty stoked. Hoping to get out and walk around a bit before it starts sleeting.

[quote name='S John' post='1663931' date='Jan 27 2009, 10.00']Worse than living in a place where it snows all the time is living in a place where it only snows sometimes.... and then throwing hundreds of thousands of clueless motorists onto snow-dusted roads.

I swear to Christ, I work no more than 13 miles from where I live, it was an hour and a half drive to get here this morning. Great, I get to stay an hour later today! I think it might have snowed an inch, [i]maybe[/i]. The roads werent covered and I could still see grass poking out, yet nobody could manage to go faster than 11 mph. Unbelievable. Up in the mountains people manage faster than 11 in the snow on two lane curvy roads, with questionable looking guard rails.. and theyve probably had a couple beers too. I can't wait til I get off work so I can do it again![/quote]

Hour and a half?! Damn, sorry to hear that. My commute was about average. Cars driving slower, but there were less of 'em due to schools being closed/people being wusses and staying home. But yes, DC is ridiculous when it comes to this kind of thing. I blame all the Southerners who live here.

I am concerned 'bout the drive home when it all turns to ice.

[quote name='WarGalley' post='1664359' date='Jan 27 2009, 14.52']It's supposed to be worse tomorrow with freezing rain and all. :dunno:[/quote]

God damnit. Maybe I should just get up at 4 in the morning tomorrow.

[quote name='JM']Hour and a half?! Damn, sorry to hear that. My commute was about average. Cars driving slower, but there were less of 'em due to schools being closed/people being wusses and staying home. But yes, DC is ridiculous when it comes to this kind of thing. I blame all the Southerners who live here.

I am concerned 'bout the drive home when it all turns to ice.[/quote]

Admittedly, the length of the trip is partially my fault, and DC itself was actually fine. However I66 west-bound was backed up as soon as I got on it in Rossyln, which is highly unusual, so I knew I was in for it. I decided to out-smart all these fools and get off at the nearest opportunity and take Wilson Blvd thru seven corners to 50.

Well, someone had a fender-bender on 50, and the only thing that slows traffic down more than a snowflake is the flashing lights of a Virginia State trooper on the side of the road. So, I only ended up complicating things for myself. Probably wouldve been just under an hour if I had just suffered through 66 the whole way.

[quote name='Raidne' post='1664325' date='Jan 27 2009, 14.23']It snowed in DC today - first time ever that I've seen any accumulation here. I'm pretty stoked. Hoping to get out and walk around a bit before it starts sleeting.[/quote]

Come home - we've got plenty here. :P

[quote name='Tears of Lys' post='1664562' date='Jan 27 2009, 17.09']Come home - we've got plenty here. :P[/quote]

Oh, I had plenty of it in December, thanks. :)

Guest thebadlady
[quote name='Lady Whitestripe' post='1664321' date='Jan 27 2009, 13.21']Dub, didn't you know that Jan and Feb are the worst months for snow? It's true.[/quote]

March is horrible here for snow - its usually the really heavy wet snow that makes you cold to your liver. My thyroid meds are kicking in, so I have the hots now - 22F and I had to take my coat off.

heh.

[quote name='Brady' post='1664684' date='Jan 28 2009, 08.18']Getting towards the end of summer and it's really turning it on. Weve had 5 or so 40C+ days the last week.[/quote]

Given humidity, 40+ in your part of the world has got to be worse than 40+ here. Hope the beers are cold!!

This how my week is shaping up.

Wednesday, Jan 28
High: 70 °F RealFeel®: 72 °F
Plenty of sunshine
Wednesday Night, Jan 28
Low: 46 °F RealFeel®: 48 °F
Clear and cool

Thursday, Jan 29
High: 77 °F RealFeel®: 73 °F
Plenty of sunshine
Thursday Night, Jan 29
Low: 48 °F RealFeel®: 43 °F
Clear

Friday, Jan 30
High: 80 °F RealFeel®: 77 °F
Sunny and warm with the temperature approaching the record of 82 set in 1984
Friday Night, Jan 30
Low: 48 °F RealFeel®: 44 °F
Clear

Saturday, Jan 31
High: 75 °F RealFeel®: 72 °F
Mostly sunny
Saturday Night, Jan 31
Low: 50 °F RealFeel®: 44 °F
Mainly

[quote name='thebadlady' post='1664707' date='Jan 27 2009, 18.42']March is horrible here for snow - its usually the really heavy wet snow that makes you cold to your liver. My thyroid meds are kicking in, so I have the hots now - 22F and I had to take my coat off.

heh.[/quote]

I try to block March out of my brain. If it's not cold, wet, heavy snow it's hip deep in mud. March is ICKY. We had snow the day Henzo made it home from NICU.... on the last day of April. I've got this great picture of Ser Stripe trudging through the snow with the baby carrier in this hand. All you can see of the baby is the very top of those hats they knit for the babies peeking out from under a huge blanket. There was also a blizzard the day Delia was born, but we expected that.

Archived