Weather Thread

add-on

I'd love winter if I didn't have to commute through it. Having to work and commute in the snow is the only bad part of the season. I wish I could have a job that would give me time off from Dec. to Feb.

[quote name='Annelise' post='1664587' date='Jan 27 2009, 17.26']I had a laugh at SJohn's description of driving in the mountains on account of it sounding familiar - just replace the iffy guard rails with a deficient fleet of salt trucks and snow plows.[/quote]

I think its insane that I miss it a little. :uhoh:

[quote name='AG']It's snowing!! My appointments are canceled and I'm in a cool city! This is awesome. Seriously, this is the first time I have ever seen snow fall outside of a ski town. I can't wait to go outside and play.[/quote]

Enjoy it. It really is pretty fun when you don't have to work. You should get out there and pick a snowball fight, but be warned, those Boston kids have had more practice. :)

[quote name='Lany']My world is covered in ICE.

I can handle the snow, but ice sucks big time[/quote]

Yup, same deal here. I had to smash the scraper into the windshield a million times to break it up. I also got to kick it into 4 wheel drive to keep the back end from fish-tailing, which is a rare treat since I've been living here. Other than that though, the traffic today was [i]a lot [/i]better than yesterday. Judging by the number of empty cubes surrounding me, looks like a fair number of people decided to just stay at home.

Today it's real cold here. Outside my kitchen window it was 0.2°C, but the forecast expect the temperature to drop as low as -6°C by the end of the day. (Over here that's extremely low.)

Interesting enough, looking at the forecast today I noticed that my hometown (up north) was the wettest in the country yesterday (9.9 mm perspiration) while the 'warmest' was just a few miles to the west with 5.2°C.

And as authorities in certain areas of Australia are warning people to stay indoor due to the extreme heat, the police in East Finmark (close to he border with Russia) are advising people to stay indoor due to the extreme weather (winter storms).

[quote name='An00biel' post='1670852' date='Feb 2 2009, 12.18']I'm freezing :( It was - 15°C when I walked to work this morning and the rest of the week is even worse. Temperatures between -9°C and -18°C.

Iceman, stop whining :P[/quote]
First of all the effect of cold temperatures is worse in coastal areas than in inland, secondly you moved voluntarily to the freezing hellhole you live in, so stop whining! :P

[quote name='The Iceman of the North' post='1670880' date='Feb 2 2009, 13.24']First of all the effect of cold temperatures is worse in coastal areas than in inland, secondly you moved voluntarily to the freezing hellhole you live in, so stop whining! :P[/quote]

Yes, well.. I'm moving in two weeks :leaving:

Here in Adelaide we broke a record the other day. The highest minimum temperature on record. Over night it got to a minimum of 34C (93F) before going back up to about 45C.

Starting to cool down now, only in the high 30's for a while.

[quote name='Callum' post='1670898' date='Feb 2 2009, 08.12']Here in Adelaide we broke a record the other day. The highest minimum temperature on record. Over night it got to a minimum of 34C (93F) before going back up to about 45C.

Starting to cool down now, only in the high 30's for a while.[/quote]

I think I'd die living in a place so hot. How can you stand it?

[quote name='snake' post='1671062' date='Feb 2 2009, 18.13']I think I'd die living in a place so hot. How can you stand it?[/quote]

Being a Detroiter now living in a place as hot as forty Hells I can say you get used to it - to some degree. Oftentimes in the summer I feel as though I'll melt.

Our weather here is now quite Spring-like. (Sorry to all you sorry bastards that got snow. It [s]never[/s] rarely snows here so if it's not going to it might as well be nice out.) Our plants are blooming; the jasmines, violets etc. It's 19 degrees (66 or so) right now and I have some nice pork chops on the grill.

[quote name='snake' post='1671062' date='Feb 3 2009, 02.43']I think I'd die living in a place so hot. How can you stand it?[/quote]

I think about 20 people did die once rolling blackouts were instituted and air conditioners went off. An elderly woman's neighbour discovered her body in a house described as a sauna.

You get used to it though, staying in air conditioning as much as possible, venturing outside only to go the beach or a swimming pool and hoping it cools down enough over night to have your window open and get some relief.

[quote]Sorry to all you sorry bastards that got snow.[/quote]

I love the snow. :)

[quote]I think about 20 people did die once rolling blackouts were instituted and air conditioners went off. An elderly woman's neighbour discovered her body in a house described as a sauna.

You get used to it though, staying in air conditioning as much as possible, venturing outside only to go the beach or a swimming pool and hoping it cools down enough over night to have your window open and get some relief.[/quote]

Sounds like hell to me but as you and others say I guess you get used to it. I know one thing though. I would never willingly move to a place that was so hot. I wouldn't to live anywhere that didn't have at least four months of snow and ice.

[quote name='snake' post='1672220' date='Feb 4 2009, 02.44']Sounds like hell to me but as you and others say I guess you get used to it. I know one thing though. I would never willingly move to a place that was so hot. I wouldn't to live anywhere that didn't have at least four months of snow and ice.[/quote]

It's not always this hot. It's the height of summer and we just had a week long heatwave. Although we do seem to generally get at least one every year. Most of the year it's pleasant enough, and in winter it gets more than cold enough, without being the inconvenience that I imagine regular snow and ice would be. (It's only snowed here once, and that was literally just a few snowflakes coming down for a couple of minutes. Ground wasn't white, couldn't even tell that it had 'snowed' within minutes afterwards.)

• 4 weeks later...
It's a friggin blizzard over here. I think the storm's supposed to move north to NY sometime today. I heard on the radio that Virginia's snowplows were out in force this morning.. I find that claim highly suspect. I've never seen roads so bad. Even the major highways looked completely neglected. I lost control of my car at least a dozen times during my morning commute. I thought for sure I was going into a guardrail on the highway at one point.

Archived