What you drinkin?

TheLoneliestMonk

:lol:

As soon as I've recovered from my present dark lunchtime of the soul I intend to spread misery and despair throughout the kingdom, or at least those parts of the kingdom that Gordon Brown hasn't already lavishly stocked with misery and despair.

[quote name='Usotsuki' post='1732658' date='Mar 25 2009, 12.52']or at least those parts of the kingdom that Gordon Brown hasn't already lavishly stocked with misery and despair.[/quote]

Fred Goodwin's house?

[quote]Fred Goodwin's house?[/quote]

I wouldn't be so certain. Maybe it isn't Gordon who is responsible as he is "conveniently" abroad, but somebody [url="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/7962825.stm"]took it upon themselves to slumify Sir Fred's house[/url]

As for drinking, I am stuck with water for now, for reasons that will be disclosed at a later date. :thumbsdown:

[quote name='Xray the Enforcer' post='1732621' date='Mar 25 2009, 07.50']One thing -- some maraschino really sucks, but Luxardo is a great brand, so try to get that. (pretty sure it's Luxardo, anyhoo -- Mr. X can confirm.)[/quote]
Confirmed. Luxardo Marschino (it comes in a tall bottle partly wrapped in wickerish sort of stuff) is the one you want to buy. Good for Aviations and other fine cocktails.

[quote name='GdMisfits' post='1730881' date='Mar 23 2009, 20.04']dont forget the bitters mcbigski!!! orange if you got em. what proportions you using?[/quote]

[quote name='Xray the Enforcer' post='1731349' date='Mar 24 2009, 08.00']McBigski -- have you tried Plymouth? It's a great all-around gin that makes wonderful martinis (and can stand up to the vermouth so it's easier to make something tasty without overwhelming either component.)[/quote]

Did some shopping tonight. All they had for bitters was Angostura. Is that an acceptable substitute or vile abomination? And how much should I add?

I didn't see Plymouth, so I figured I'd give Hendricks a try. As for proportions, I usually go about 5 parts gin to one vermouth. Will perform more field research shortly.

[quote name='mcbigski' post='1734792' date='Mar 26 2009, 18.23']Did some shopping tonight. All they had for bitters was Angostura. Is that an acceptable substitute or vile abomination? And how much should I add?

I didn't see Plymouth, so I figured I'd give Hendricks a try. As for proportions, I usually go about 5 parts gin to one vermouth. Will perform more field research shortly.[/quote]
Usually you only need a dash of bitters in a Martini. Angostura is fine for just about anything that needs bitters. I prefer orange bitters in a Martini, but they can be difficult to find. (And Angostura orange bitters are doubly difficult to find in my experience -- the bottle we have was bought in London when we were there in January. Orange bitters you're likely to find in the U.S. are Fee Brothers and Regan's, with the former being more widely available and the latter being far tastier.)

Hendrick's is a good, milder gin. It is a good choice for Martinis, though it can get lost in more complex cocktails, especially if they feature citrus.

ok, to derail my own thread real quick, anyone know if bitters can be bought online in states where alcohol cannot? I know bitters are sold in stores that don't sell alchohol, on military bases at least... anyways, any info would be greatly appreciated!!

/derail

back on topic, im drinking more fernet branca. this time to wash out the taste of some blueberry oatmeal stout. in my defence, blueberries are awesome and so is oatmeal stout. you know what they say about not going to the groecery store when you are hungry??? its the same with the class six when you're thirsty.

[quote name='GdMisfits' post='1734895' date='Mar 26 2009, 20.19']ok, to derail my own thread real quick, anyone know if bitters can be bought online in states where alcohol cannot? I know bitters are sold in stores that don't sell alchohol, on military bases at least... anyways, any info would be greatly appreciated!![/quote]

They had Angostura (though not in orange!) at Stop & Shop in Connecticut, where the state law is beer only at grocery stores - no wine, hard liquor etc. But it might vary state to state too.

Chocolate milk. My favorite drink of all time

But in a few minutes, I'll be firing up the grill, after I slap on some shoyu and seasoning on some chicken thighs and a nice 10 lb opakapaka I caught earlier this afternoon, to which I'll then switch to an ice cold Bud. Can't wait!

I don't know whether it was from upgrading the gin or adding the bitters, but damn was the martini tonight awfully good. My liver curses the X's and gdmisfit, but the rest of me says hurrah!

[quote name='mcbigski' post='1735085' date='Mar 26 2009, 22.31']I don't know whether it was from upgrading the gin or adding the bitters, but damn was the martini tonight awfully good. [b]My liver curses the X's[/b] and gdmisfit, but the rest of me says hurrah![/quote]
Yours won't be the first liver to curse us. :cheers:

Archived