What you drinkin?

TheLoneliestMonk

right now... Anchor Bock Beer. mmmm mmmm good

Xray,

I have been known to check out drinkboy for drink recipes. I know i should have known how to make a real negroni from there but i misread. I'll have to try out that valentino. i have messed with the proportions in the negroni a bit but, mostly increasing the proportion of gin if it's a really mellow one like bombay saphire. I have been wanting to check out the Pegu Club for a while although, i haven't gotten the chance yet. Being 23 in jersey most people i know just want heineken and jager bombs. they fuckin shower in that shit. i might just have to drag my wife there since, it's about time i got her drinking something other than mojitos made with mojito syrup. is there a dress code at the pegu?

[quote name='Deaf Dick' post='1731105' date='Mar 23 2009, 21.56']LaBatt bottles and/ draughts are imminent[/quote]

Beer... good old [url="http://www.brewhousebeer.com/main.html"]Brewhouse[/url] beer. Love it!! :love: And I am generally not fond of cheap beer. A hangover guaranteed in every case!! Swear that's one of their slogans!! :lol:

[quote]Drinking Shiraz and procrastinating, or Nothing and working on three assignments due this week.

One of these is true tongue.gif[/quote]
Hmmm.... one of these does not belong here. ;)

[quote name='GdMisfits' post='1730881' date='Mar 23 2009, 20.04']dont forget the bitters mcbigski!!! orange if you got em. what proportions you using?[/quote]

These last two posts have made my heart sing. Indeed, I love orange bitters in my martinis, and I always drink 'em with a twist. (I think olives and gin are a terrible combo).

McBigski -- have you tried Plymouth? It's a great all-around gin that makes wonderful martinis (and can stand up to the vermouth so it's easier to make something tasty without overwhelming either component.)

GdMisfits -- I'd dress on the nicer side for Pegu, but you won't need to wear a suit or anything. Nice slacks, collared shirt (don't worry about a tie), etc. Also, sit at the bar if at all possible (and show up on the early side), because then you can watch the bartender (and if they're not busy, they're generally quite happy to chat about their craft. The best thing about places like Pegu are "bartenders choice" -- tell 'em a general spirit and maybe the style you want, and they'll surprise you. I usually order one drink off the menu, then move into the BC category: My first is always "gin and bitters" because there's such a huge array of Italian potable bitters (like Campari, Meletti, Amaro, Aperol, etc) that you are almost always guaranteed to get something you've never had before.

You can also try the Flatiron Lounge, which is slightly less rarefied, but also has some fantastic drinks (I don't think they make their own bitters like Pegu and Death&Co do, and it gets stupid crowded in there). Death&Co is also a great venue, if you can find it. It's on E. 6th St.

Is my Californian is showing? I'm just had some iced Fernet Branca after a huge meal. I found a dusty old bottle at the corner liquor store and couldnt resist.

Thanks for the info about the Pegu Xray! I'm sure ill be getting out there in the next month or so. i have only recently gotten into cocktails so i think bartender's choice would be a great way for me to get aquainted to cocktails i havent tried. I was at that liquor store looking for marchino liquor so i could make real maraschino cherries to put in my manhattans but to no avail. I'm sure canals will have it though whenever i have the chance to make it there. im just scared i will go over budget whenever i finally do get there. I just remember the aweful temptations of bevmo back home.

Fernet Branca is great, as is Fernet Menta.

Bartender's choice at Pegu is great fun, although you can learn alot from reading their menu and ordering from it. They usually have good descriptions on the menu, including the ingredients (though not necessarily the ratios). Try something from the menu, then go with bartender's choice based on what you had previously.

I'm a couple of Rye and cokes into the night. I'm not generally a big fan of whiskey but I do enjoy Wiser's, this could have something to do with my introduction to whiskey through some pretty terrible stuff, Royal Reserve I'm looking at you.

[quote name='GdMisfits' post='1732283' date='Mar 24 2009, 19.44']Thanks for the info about the Pegu Xray! I'm sure ill be getting out there in the next month or so. i have only recently gotten into cocktails so i think bartender's choice would be a great way for me to get aquainted to cocktails i havent tried. I was at that liquor store looking for marchino liquor so i could make real maraschino cherries to put in my manhattans but to no avail. I'm sure canals will have it though whenever i have the chance to make it there. im just scared i will go over budget whenever i finally do get there. I just remember the aweful temptations of bevmo back home.[/quote]

:lol:

I love Fernet -- great digestif.

Yeah, it can be a real danger going over budget. Just remember that a quality bar is built over time. We started slowly with just the basics (the two vermouths, rye, gin, Campari and a couple of other regularly used ingredient). It took us years to amass the collection we have now. One thing -- some maraschino really sucks, but Luxardo is a great brand, so try to get that. (pretty sure it's Luxardo, anyhoo -- Mr. X can confirm.) I'm sure they have it at Astor wines. The one ingredient that we have struck out on is Cherry Heering, but I'm not too broken because there are only a couple of cocktails to my taste that take the stuff.

Also, if you like Campari and Fernet, you might want to try a drink (try it at a good cocktail place first) made with Cynar. :)

[quote name='Hereward' post='1732564' date='Mar 25 2009, 09.09']Now, nothing, but last night it was, in order, a Blair Atholl 12yo, a Glenlivet 15yo French Oak, a Dalmore 12yo, an Ardbeg 10yo and an Aberlour 18yo. Yes, I'd had a very bad day.[/quote]

I hope you had the traditional juice, coffee and liquid ibuprofen breakfast or today might be bit rough too.

[quote name='Usotsuki' post='1732625' date='Mar 25 2009, 11.53']I hope you had the traditional juice, coffee and liquid ibuprofen breakfast or today might be bit rough too.[/quote]

Rather worryingly I felt as fresh as a daisy, though no less annoyed. :leaving:

[quote name='Usotsuki' post='1732648' date='Mar 25 2009, 08.42']The ancillary benefits of true quality perhaps, or possibly I ended up with your hangover, I had one glass of pomegranate and champagne last night and today I'm as tarnished and threadbare as Piers Morgan's soul.[/quote]

I hope you've snarled at the underlings and made them weep.

Archived